The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian…

The Invention of Hugo Cabret (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Brian Selznick (Author)

8,693648726 (4.3)1 / 547
When twelve-year-old Hugo, an orphan living and repairing clocks within the walls of a Paris train station in 1931, meets a mysterious toyseller and his goddaughter, his undercover life and his biggest secret are jeopardized.
Member:BlueJay8960
Title:The Invention of Hugo Cabret
Authors:Brian Selznick (Author)
Info:Scholastic Press (2007), Edition: 1st, 533 pages

Work Information

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (2007)

English (632)  French (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Italian (2)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (646)
Hugo, an orphan living by keeping clocks, survives on secrets. His world is found out and turned upside down by a girl and a bitter old man. Through a series of pictures and chapters, Hugo must keep his secrets but find out the mystery of his dead father. I would use this as a book on my bookshelf for the students that struggle to read as it is a fast read and easy to follow along with the pictures. I personally read this book in middle school and absolutely loved it and recommended it to all of my friends. ( )
  Teagan.Mies | Nov 16, 2021 |
The Invention of Hugo Cabret is about a young boy who lives in a train station and helps run the clocks secretly until he finds help in an unusual place. Though this book seems thick, it reads really well and has beautiful illustrations that eloquently show the setting. I think this novel can aid students in seeing how images or illustrations can help develop the plot and theme to the audience and show the author's purpose. ( )
  Leamoore | Nov 4, 2021 |
I loved this! It was an amazing reading experience and the illustrations were brilliant. Brian Selznic is a great storyteller and I enjoyed learning more about automata, clocks and the early stages of the film industry.

_Marcia_94_ | Sep 21, 2021 |
Reading this book is a total experience. It celebrates art and imagination and is appropriately about the movies. I read this just before watching the movie in 3D. The movie producers added some elements of humor and suspense to the story but the focus remains the celebration of the power of imagination. The movie was true to the spirit of visual beauty of the work. As far as plot and writing is concerned the book comes out somewhat light but it is still a fairly enjoyable and short journey. ( )
  moukayedr | Sep 5, 2021 |
I bought the book but saw the movie before I got a chance to read it. I didn't really care for the movie but gave the book a chance hoping I would like it better. I didn't. I sold the book without finishing it. I did appreciate learning about the author's love of Remy Charlip. I could see how he paid homage to him in the movie. ( )
  Seayla2020 | Aug 21, 2021 |
The story is an engaging meditation on fantasy, inventiveness, and a thrilling mystery in its own right. No knowledge of early cinema is necessary to enjoy it, but for those who do know just a little, the rewards are even greater.

The carefully selected details make Hugo Cabret feel like, well, a machine, full of tiny interlocking parts, built to fuel a curious child’s lifelong infatuation with wonder.

The Invention of Hugo Cabret is full of magic ... for the child reader, for the adult reader, the film lover, the art lover, for anyone willing to give it a go. If you’re scared of the size or the concept, don’t be. Open your mind, pour Selznick’s creation in, and be reminded of the dream of childhood.

With The Invention of Hugo Cabret, the American illustrator/author Brian Selznick seems to have invented a new kind of book. It's at once a picture book, a graphic novel, a rattling good yarn and an engaging celebration of the early days of the cinema. All in black and white.

It is wonderful.

Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Has the adaptation

For Remy Charlip and for David Serlin
From his perch behind the clock, Hugo could see everything.
Hugo felt sure that the note was going to answer all of his questions and tell him what to do now that he was alone. The note was going to save his life.
The coffee was hot, and as Hugo let it cool, he looked around the cavernous station at all the people rushing by with a thousand different places to go. When he saw them from above he always thought the travelers looked like cogs in an intricate, swirling machine. But up close, amid the bustle and the stampede, everything just seemed noisy and disconnected.
Hugo though about his father’s description of the automaton. “Did you ever notice that all machines are made for some reason?” he asked Isabelle. “They are built to make you laugh, like the mouse here, or to tell the time, like clocks, or to fill you with wonder, like the automaton. Maybe that’s why a broken machine always makes me a little sad, because it isn’t able to do what it was meant to do.”
“I like to imagine that the world is one big machine. You know, machines never have any extra parts. They have the exact number and type of parts they need. So I figure if the entire world is a big machine, I have to be here for some reason. And that means you have to be here for some reason, too.”
When you wind it up, it can do something I'm sure no other automaton in the world can do. It can tell you the incredible story of Georges Méliès, his wife, their goddaughter, and a beloved clock maker whose son grew up to be a magician.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,005,791 books! | Top bar: Always visible