Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake

Three Dark Crowns

by Kendare Blake

1,1977910,693 (3.73)12
In every generation on the island of Fennbirn, a set of triplets is born--three queens, all equal heirs to the crown and each possessor of a coveted magic. Mirabella is a fierce elemental, able to control storms or flames with the snap of her fingers. Katharine is a poisoner, able to ingest the deadliest poisons without harm. And Arsinoe, a naturalist, can control nature. But becoming the Queen Crowned isn't solely a matter of royal birth. Each sister has to fight for it. And it's not just a game of win or lose ... it's life or death. The night the sisters turn sixteen, the battle begins. The last queen standing gets the crown. --… (more)

Holy shit that ending though. ( )
  barajash29 | Jan 22, 2020 |
I am excited to see where this series takes me there were definitely parts that I didn't really love but then others pulled me completely in. ( )
  basilsbooks | Dec 30, 2019 |

all fair to be seen,
two to devour
and one to be Queen
The Writing and Worldbuilding

I'd be lying if I said I liked the writing. It was very hard to get through. Does Kendare Blake know that she doesn't have to use names so often?? Basically the whole thing read like this (this isn't a direct quote, it's just an exaggeration to get my point across):

Katharine turned to Pietyr. "I think you're wonderful, Pietyr," Katharine said to Pietyr.

"I think the same of you, Katharine," Pietyr replied to Katharine, turning to look at her. He stepped toward Katharine and placed a hand on her shoulder.

Katharine looked at Pietyr. "I'm so glad I met you, Pietyr."
But you get the point. It just read so stop-start-y. It felt very amateurish.

I would have liked more Katharine scenes. The book started with her, and that implies that she's going to be very important, but really, most of the book is in Arsinoe, Mirabella, and Jules' perspectives, and Jules isn't even a queen! (Though I do have my suspicions)

The world was pretty interesting, and was definitely the best part of the book. I found the naturalists the most interesting, but they were also the most fleshed out. The elementals were pretty interesting too, but barely touched on, really. The poisoners were even less discussed, and therefore even more confusing, especially because their power is... snobbery and immunity? That's pretty lame lol

A lot of the book felt very rushed, like in one short scene (a single page at most) huge, important things happened, and then a few pages later, they were resolved. Again, amateurish.

The Characters

Katharine: She was okay, but kind of boring, and it didn't help that she had so little actual time to do anything and develop (and making out with Pietyr doesn't count as character development).

Arsinoe: Honestly, she was more bratty than "strong" and "brave" but I definitely liked her more than Jules.

Jules: A worse version of Arsinoe.

Mirabella: I really liked Mirabella! She was pretty interesting, and that dream and memory element was pretty intriguing.

Billy: Billy's my cinnamon roll and no one can tell me otherwise.

Joseph: He was something, I'll tell you that much. While he's a bit of a douche, I still think he should be with Mirabella, but mostly because I think Jules is a brat lol

Pietyr: He literally only shows up to make out with Katharine every few chapters whenever Kendare Blake remembered that they were even characters.

Natalia: So... prolonged child abuse is supposed to make her secretly motherly?

Conclusion

I enjoyed it, but I put it down after reading the first chapter and didn't pick it up for almost a month and didn't think anything of it. Honestly, if you haven't read it yet, don't bother. It's nothing special. I might read the rest of the series, but I might not. Like I said, nothing special. ( )
  Faith_Murri | Dec 9, 2019 |
I didn’t think anything could beat out Six of Crows as my year’s favorite book. But I was wrong - this book was truly astounding. Immersive and clever and truly unique don’t even sum up everything that is truly amazing about this story. I found myself so completely absorbed, so protective of every character, even after they made morally grey choices that I didn’t agree with. This book and the ending especially left me completely stunned. I do not understand how the reviews for this book could be so mixed, because I certainly never felt bored or uninterested for a single page. Every chapter had a purpose, whether it was world building or characterization. I truly felt like this might be the best book I’ve read since Game of Thrones, and that says a lot. Cannot wait to read on. ( )
  JesseReads | Nov 8, 2019 |
"In every generation on the island of Fennbirn, a set of triplets is born: three queens, all equal heirs to the crown and each possessor of a coveted magic. Mirabella is a fierce elemental, able to spark hungry flames or vicious storms at the snap of her fingers. Katharine is a poisoner, one who can ingest the deadliest poisons without so much as a stomachache. Arsinoe, a naturalist, is said to have the ability to bloom the reddest rose and control the fiercest of lions.
But becoming Queen Crowned isn't solely a matter of royal birth. Each sister has to fight for it. And it's not just a game of win or lose...it's life or death..."(from front flap) The night the sisters turn sixteen they attend the Beltane, a festival celebrating the gods and their island, and the three sisters, kept apart and trained by their own special helpers, come before all the people and perform their "gifts". Well written, with chapters shifting between each of the queenly sisters, Blake weaves in elements of budding romances, impending doom from the High Priestess and her followers, and friends who come to the aid of each of the young queens. Cavalcade of Authors 2020 pick; definitely for those who enjoy paranormal/fantasy, and the dark arts. ( )
  BDartnall | Sep 29, 2019 |
A young queen stands barefoot on a wooden block with her arms outstretched.

Every generation on the island of Fennbirn, a set of triplets is born: three queens, all equal heirs to the crown and each possessor of a coveted magic. Mirabella is a fierce elemental, able to spark hungry flames or vicious storms at the snap of her fingers. Katharine is a poisoner, one who can ingest the deadliest poisons without so much as a stomachache. Arsinoe, a naturalist, is said to have the ability to bloom the reddest rose and control the fiercest of lions.

But becoming the Queen Crowned isn’t solely a matter of royal birth. Each sister has to fight for it. And it’s not just a game of win or lose…it’s life or death. The night the sisters turn sixteen, the battle begins. The last queen standing gets the crown.

If only it was that simple. Katharine is unable to tolerate the weakest poison, and Arsinoe, no matter how hard she tries, can’t make even a weed grow. The two queens have been shamefully faking their powers, taking care to keep each other, the island, and their powerful sister Mirabella none the wiser. But with alliances being formed, betrayals taking shape, and ruthless revenge haunting the queens’ every move, one thing is certain: the last queen standing might not be the strongest…but she may be the darkest.

Kendare Blake is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,669,083 books! | Top bar: Always visible