The Hike: A Novel by Drew Magary

The Hike: A Novel (edition 2016)

by Drew Magary (Author)

When Ben, a suburban family man, takes a business trip to rural Pennsylvania, he decides to spend the afternoon before his dinner meeting on a short hike. Once he sets out into the woods behind his hotel, he quickly comes to realize that the path he has chosen cannot be given up easily. With no choice but to move forward, Ben finds himself falling deeper and deeper into a world of man-eating giants, bizarre demons, and colossal insects.… (more)
Member:SJenkins
Title:The Hike: A Novel
Authors:Drew Magary (Author)
Info:Viking (2016), Edition: First Edition, 288 pages

The Hike: A Novel by Drew Magary

There comes a clichèd point in most stories that deal with insanity where the nutjob asks the sane one who determines what sanity is, and maybe we've got the whole thing inside-out. I can say without hesitation that The Hike is batshit insane, but there's nonetheless a steadfast internal logic and heart that undergirds the craziness and connects all of the terrifying parts into a cohesive (if hallucinatory) whole.

It's rare to find a "grounded" fantasy that doesn't traffic overtly in "magic" with laws and rules (think Harrys Potter and Dresden), especially when combined with a rollicking adventure plot. Think of The Hike as a modern-day Odysseus, only with lot more LSD involved (in execution if not authorship). Eminently relatable main character, highly entertaining and endearing sidekicks, thoroughly enjoyable to read (unlike trying to slash your way through the thickets of this review), this is a fun book. ( )
  kaitwallas | May 21, 2021 |
Some people have classified this as science fiction, but I think it's more fantasy than sci-fi, and ultimately more light horror than fantasy.

What is this weirdness?? This story is parts adventure, parts fantasy, and ultimately I wonder if it's just a philosophical journey with symbolism. I still haven't worked it out, but it's an enjoyable read, if you want to learn more about a crab's opinions and how to handle a giant, this may be for you. ( )
  Pepperwings | Aug 7, 2020 |
Weelll....I liked it. I wasn't sure about it at the beginning, but I am a fan of violence and swearing so I kept on. Ben really grew on me...I agreed with his older self that his younger self was annoying, though I can't say I'd have been any less annoying in his place! I was really neutral on him at the beginning but by the end I was rooting for him. The ending was nice too. I wasn't sure what it could look like in a way that would be satisfying but I liked it! So, in the end, worth it to read and would recommend if you're into weird shit and sarcastic talking crabs. ( )
  katebrarian | Jul 28, 2020 |
Readable, sometimes gruesome, original. At times I was impatient with the protagonist—he’s not terribly sympathetic and he has rather extreme reactions, and he’s such a masculine cliche sometimes. . I’m glad I read the whole thing, because as it happened the ending was interesting and satisfying. ( )
  dmturner | Jun 29, 2020 |
Amazing. If any of you are looking for a pure adventure of unrivaled creativity and depth transformed from utter normality to strangeness and then topped off with a great ethical and moral conclusion topped off at the end, delivered with a really strong emotional punch to the gut, then look no further.

The hike feels, at first, like a silly and sometimes rather funny adventure, starting off with a hike during a business trip. But then it soon becomes a fantasy-land and terror-strewn nightmare and then we're treated to a wonderful reversal-filled surprise after surprise.

What this isn't, even though it's written light and fast and funny, is a strictly light and fast and funny adventure. It's dark and it's soulful and it not only touches upon the idea of what Home is, but it also explores Determinism and its converse, transforming a crazy hike into a nearly spiritual exploration of The Path, whatever the path is. Our personal journey? Perhaps Journey? Regardless, it's so much more and it's a true delight to have read this.

I honestly didn't expect it to turn out this good or this deep. Bravo! My faith in humanity is restored. My faith that wildly imaginative literature continues to be written, and written fearlessly, and all the while a great Tale is told as well.

Go Ben!

Anyone want crabcakes?

I totally recommend this for EVERYONE. It's just that good. :)

"The man who sailed around his soul
From East to West, from pole to pole
With ego as his drunken captain
Greed, the mutineer, had trapped all reason in the hold

The man who walked across his heart
Who took no compass, guide or chart
To rope and tar his blood congealed
When he found his self revealed ugly and cold"

-Andy Partridge, XTC, "The Man Who Sailed Around His Soul"

bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |

Drew Magaryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lane, ChristopherNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Audio, BrilliancePublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweeney, WillCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,239,199 books! | Top bar: Always visible