How to Eat Like a Child: And Other Lessons…

How to Eat Like a Child: And Other Lessons in Not Being a Grown-up (edition 2001)

by Delia Ephron (Author)

Universal and timeless, Delia Ephron's How to Eat Like a Child is a delightful revisiting of the joys -- and tricky ploys -- of childhood. Made into a children's television special and a musical theater revue performed across the country each year, How to Eat Like a Child offers advice beyond the artful etiquette of food consumption. Ephron also teaches us "How to Laugh Hysterically," "How to Have a Birthday Party," "How to Torture Your Sister," and much, much more. As the Washington Post Book World noted, `After the giggles of recognition have subsided, one thing will be very clear: all adults are kids in grown-ups' clothing."… (more)
Member:LentzCyn
Title:How to Eat Like a Child: And Other Lessons in Not Being a Grown-up
Authors:Delia Ephron (Author)
Info:Harper Perennial (2001), 112 pages

Work Information

How to Eat Like a Child by Delia Ephron

While the first few pages on their own might be a little funny, this develops into one long description of children with major issues. Not funny. Not funny for the child, not funny for anyone around the child. Not funny at all. ( )
  MarthaJeanne | Oct 3, 2019 |
Don’t be thrown by the title. This book was written for adults. I first read this book in 1979, soon after it was published. Last week, Delia Ephron spoke in Cleveland about her writing and collaboration at a book festival. She was excellent. I decided to reread the book (and discovered I had two copies). I’m glad I did.
She nailed it. Anyone who has a child, knows a child, or was a child can relate to this very funny book. It begins with eating: “Peas: Mash and flatten into thin sheets on plate. Press the back of the fork into the peas. Hold fork vertically, prongs up, and lick off peas.”
“Animal crackers: Eat each in this order–legs, head, body.”
“Spinach: Divide into little piles. Rearrange into new piles. After five or six maneuvers, sit back and say you are full.”
HOW TO EAT LIKE A CHILD covers many other areas of life that children experience. “How to Hang Up the Telephone” begins with “Good bye.’
“Bye.”
“Are you still there?”
“Yeah. Why didn’t you hang up?”
And continues from there.
Among other areas, it meanders into school, playing, prank telephone calls, sibling rivalry, birthday parties, waiting, riding in a car, and “How to Act after Being Sent to Your Room.”
No matter how unique we feel each of us is, HOW TO EAT LIKE A CHILD shows us we have a great deal in common. By the time I finished reading, I was ready to investigate my house to see where the recorders were hidden.
The book can be read in less than two hours. The memories will last much longer. ( )
  Judiex | Jun 11, 2017 |

Delia Ephronprimary authorall editionscalculated
Koren, EdwardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,733,321 books! | Top bar: Always visible