dismiss

Shadow Rider

by Christine Feehan

Series: Shadow Rider (1)

"Whether it's fast cars or fast women, Stefano Ferraro gets what he wants. When he's not fodder for the paparazzi, he commands Ferraro family businesses -- both legitimate and illegitimate. While their criminal activity is simply a rumor yet to be proven, no one knows the real truth. The Ferraros are a family of shadow riders capable of manipulating light and dark, an ability Stefano thought ran in his family alone -- until now. . . With little left to her name, Francesca Cappello has come to Chicago in hopes of a new life. She wasn't expecting to attract the attention of a man with primal hunger in his eyes, driven to claim her as his to protect and to please. And if he discovers her secret, it could ruin her..." -- from author's web page.… (more)

Stefano is the head of his family and is a shadow rider. He protects his family and the people in his territory. Francesca is on the run, afraid and unknowing that she is also a shadow rider. Stefano takes one look at Francesca across the street and knows she's his, he just has to convince her. He's overbearing, bossy, controlling and scary. She's afraid and distrustful of his wealth and nature but he eventually wins her over. Sex has a bit of kink, dominance, spanking, and bondage.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
Summary
Stefano Ferraro has always been able to get access to fast cars, women with zero commitment, and keeping his family secret from everyone apart from those closest to the family. Stefano has always known duty and honor, he lives up to what is expected from him. But he is keeping a secret, a secret that allows him to seek justice for those that the law is unable to protect. Stefano has everything he could want (or atleast in the view of the public) except one thing, a woman to love and a family. He dreams of finding the one woman for him, that will match him and be his in every way. Until one day he catches a woman's laugh, a stranger who has just come to town. Shaking from the cold, weak from hunger and hiding from her past, Francesca Cappello isn't ready for this stranger who intimidates her in every way possible, but makes her feel safe. Francesca has had it pretty rough, and doesn't trust anyone except her close friend who brought her to Chicago. She doesn't trust especially men with money, especially those that have it easy like the Ferraro family. But soon Francesca has gained the attention of dark and dangerous Stefano and doesn't know if she has what it takes to handle him...and she soon realizes that their love is worth fighting for!
The Hero
Stefano Ferraro is one of the few shadow riders left in the world. He is the oldest brother, and will do anything for his siblings. Each of them are shadow riders, and went through rigorous and for some horrible training. Their family has a great legacy, one that isn't easy to live up to. Stefano is the toughest of them all, he is the leader and he has made it his life's mission to protect his family. He has dedicated his whole life since he could walk to being a shadow rider, protecting the innocent, and seeing to his family's needs. He does what is necessary and doesn't apologize for actions he has had to commit. Stefano isn't a easy hero, but he is a hero you want by your side. He is tough, intimidating and pretty scary at times. He is alpha male, but is patient when he needs to be.He can be intense but is loyal and devoted once he commits!! I really liked this hero quite a bit, much more than the more recent ones that Feehan has created.
The Heroine
Francessa Capello has had a rough time of it lately. Her parents were killed when they were younger, and she only had her sister. They took care of each other. But then her sister was murdered and the man to blame, has power, police and the law behind him. He has destroyed everything she worked for, and has to be living on the streets to stay one step ahead of him. But now she has a fresh start, somewhere new and hoping to have time to gather what she needs to fight him to get justice for her sister. What she doesn't expect is to be bull dozed over by the most compelling man she has ever met, Stefano. She fears what he is a part of, but can't deny the magnetism, or the sizzling chemistry she feels for him or how safe he makes her feel when he is close. What a heroine this one turned out to be. Probably one of my favorites that Feehan has created. She has some issues to work through, especially when it comes to self confidence, however she has her own strength and I like how sassy she becomes with Stefano and stands on her own feet. She doesn't let the fear control how she handles him. We see her become stronger throughout the story and I liked seeing her inner strength come shining through.
Plot and Story Line
WHAT a book!! Christine Feehan has done it with this one and I fell in love with so many aspects of this story. Before reading it, I had browsed a few ratings and reviews just to get an idea of what to expect but all I heard were positive things about this new series!! I will admit I was a bit nervous to read this one. Mostly because the past two books from this author I have read, the heroes I had a hard time with, they were jerks and I couldn't stand how they treated their women. However this book completely blew me away!!! First off, the world-building is pretty wonderful. It is still full of mystery and intrigue but I loved what Feehan has shown us so far. This book pulled me in with the first page and I couldn't put it down!! So compelling and I loved the chemistry between these two. I did like that they didn't have sex until half way, it really built it up just right!! Now the heat is pretty high, and some scenes weren't my favorite. Not a big fan of the BDSM style and it was lighter than typical BDSM but it did have some elements that might not be for everyone. Frankly, I skimmed over those parts, since I didn't feel the need to read them but many will enjoy how Feehan did these scenes. The family that Feehan introduces to us is freakin' AWESOME!! I loved each and every sibling. They each are a bit different, have unique personalities. The sister was my favorite though, she is kick ass but I have a feeling she has quite a few vulnerabilities we haven't seen yet. What is so wonderful about this family is the way they protect each other, watch over one another and support each other in ways that is mind boggling. Seriously, this family almost brought me to tears. All of them have been through hell of training, and each suffer the scars from the past, but they are strong and hilarious at times. What was most admirable is the way they look out for Francesca. The moment that Stefano finds her, they treat her as their own. It really creates the perfect setting because Francesca has no family left and they fill that gap she craves. The actual romance between Stefano and Francesca is beautifully written. I loved the depth and rich tones you feel with these two.

Trust that always, always, before any other, I will have your back. I'll keep you safe. I'll make you happy and give you the world.

They have some hurdles to cross, but their story is quite tender yet intense at the same time!! And the bad villain gets his just deserts which I felt was just perfect seeing that. I am curious to see which sibling will be next!! :)
The Cover
Interesting, it definitely gives the feels that the book conveys so I do like the shadow effect here!!
Overall View
Shadow Rider is a thrilling tale that will have you on edge, a romance that is tender and a story you don't want to miss out on!! A TRUE JEWEL!! ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 20, 2019 |
Warning! ranting ahead

To say this book annoyed me would be the understatement of the century.
I picked it up in a bookstore and it seemed so great especially with what people were saying and all so I thought "Oh I'll definitely love this book"

Spoiler alert: I didn't.

This was your typical [Rich handsome man with dark secrets] x [poor girl with a dark past] story, I've read thousands of those on Wattpad and if I'm being honest some were much better than this one.
It was so predictable down to every last thing in the plot.
As I was reading, I kept hoping it wouldn't go with the typical ending in which the girl gets kidnapped and the boy saves her, but guess what? It happened!

I hated that whole "love at first sight" thing that went on between Stefano and Francesca (Actually I downright hated their relationship in general). At first I thought there was something like a mating bond of a sort that snapped in place when their shadows touched and that's why he got so obsessed with her but nope,that whole shadows thingy only meant she was able to produce shadow riders as children.

I hated how he walked up to her and claimed her as his as if she were some sort of a toy or something that he can own AND SHE DIDN'T EVEN PROTEST!!
Like wth? That's just wrong on so many levels.
Don't ever do this kids, if a stranger walks up to you and says you're his outta nowhere you knee him in the groin and run away because he's a creep, no matter how hot, no matter how rich he can be, you just run for your dear life and hope he never catches up to you!

The reason I picked up this book in the first place was the whole shadow riding aspect, I found it so interesting and wanted to learn more about it and how it works, but nooooo! All I get instead is the fucked up relationship of Stefano and his charity case that he decided to claim as his own property!

I hated how spineless Francesca was, she just batted her eyelashes and nodded at every single command he gave her without protesting even if she didn't agree with it. And he just went on and on ordering her around like a hound dog!

Bloody hell that was frustrating!

And their engagement
Oh dear lord their engagement!
He basically takes her to party with his family, she doesn't know why then all of a sudden his sister says they're celebrating their engagement
WHAT?
Dude! You're doing it wrong, you skipped the whole getting on one knee with a ring in your hand and asking her to marry you
SHE DIDN'T EVEN FUCKING KNOW
The worst part? She was actually fine with it

Also, I'm not sure the author is aware of it but there are in fact English words other than "sexy" to describe someone's appearance.
I threw the book across the room several times because everything Stefano did or had was sexy
His eyes
His face
His mouth
His hands
His hair

NO! Just No!!!

One more thing that turned me off was how graphic and details the sex scenes were in this book
It was just too much that I actually had to skip a lot of them hoping to get more of the plot but getting nothing instead.

I can actually sum up the whole thing in a few lines:
- Poor almost homeless girl goes with her friend looking for a job
- Handsome rich man sees her and she catches his eyes
- He forces her to take his coat and money, basically bullies the restaurant owner to hire her and claims her as his then leaves
- She is attacked and his cousins save her
- He takes her out for dinner n they talk a bit
- She goes home n his cousins hate where she lives
- Him n his family attack her landlord who happens to be a creepy asshole and he forcefully takes her to his home with him
- She stays with him in his home and she's suddenly fine with it
- They discover she's running from a rich psycho who murdered her sister
- Freaky sex
- Some more freaky sex
- He takes her to party with his family and then he be like "yeah it's our engagement party, no biggie"
- SHE IS FINE WITH THAT
- More freaky sex because there's no plot so let's write smut!
- She is attacked again n they save her
- His mom is a bitch
- She quits her job bc why not
- More freaky sex
- Psycho rich dude is in town n he visits them
- He goes on a mission n saves a girl (I bet my ass his bro is gonna marry that one)
- Psycho rich dude kidnaps her n the sister
- The bros come n kill everyone to save them
- Wedding scene

-_-
I've only seen that in like every single Rich boy x poor girl story I've ever read, and I found all of those on Wattpad

I'm seriously so pissed off at this book because it had so much potential but it went and ended up being. . . crappy ( )
  Ray_ | Mar 24, 2018 |

The Characters:

Francesca Cappello:
Stefano Ferraro:

The Story:

In the Why Did I Read this section I said I can’t let go of Christine Feehan and I should explain. Every book I’ve read in the past two years I say needs to be about 100 pages less. Shadow Rider is no exception. Though I think Feehan is a an awesome story teller who gives beautiful details about her characters and their surrounding areas (especially in the Leopard Series), she is now infamous for being repetitive. Really if Francesca said how beautiful she thought Stefano was one more time I was going to reach in the book and smack her.

Now that I got that off my chest let’s talk about what I liked. Super powerful, rich family that’s close and takes care of each other. Love it. Dispenser of justice to those who can not fight for themselves. Love it. Steaming hot couple who care deeply for each other. Yep, love it too. (I can ignore the instalove but just a warning). Crazy, maniac after our heroine, not original but I liked the author’s twist on him.

The climax of the books was good but also totally expected and What I really love is the set up for Nicoletta and Taviano and I’m disappointed that their book is not next. I will definitely be continuing the series however I hope I can get the audio versions as I think fair better with this particular author’s brand of storytelling.

Overall I enjoyed the broad strokes of the story.

The Random Thoughts:

2.5 Stars ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Aug 15, 2017 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,213,644 books! | Top bar: Always visible