HomeGroupsTalkExplore

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the…

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Rick Riordan

27,015118894 (4.08)1 / 671
After learning that he is the son of a mortal woman and Poseidon, god of the sea, twelve-year-old Percy is sent to a summer camp for demigods like himself, and joins his new friends on a quest to prevent a war between the gods.
Member:Beardicus
Title:The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)
Authors:Rick Riordan
Info:Disney Hyperion Books, Paperback, 377 pages
Rating:**

Work Information

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (2006)

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) by J. K. Rowling (alexiscartwheel, krizia_lazaro)
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (alcottacre, Jozzey07)
    Jozzey07: Both these books have an amazing blend of, action and comedy.
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (foggidawn)
    The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan (aps3644)
    aps3644: More of Riordan's magic in a different local.
    Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz (caroljeanr)
    The Alchemyst: The Secrets of The Immortal Nicholas Flamel by Michael Scott (deslivres5)
    deslivres5: Start of series with teenagers vs. supernatural forces from European folklore
    Hero by Mike Lupica (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Both books deal with young boys coming to terms with a supernatural inheritance from their fathers and entwine action/adventure with friendship and family.
    Slayers by C. J. Hill (kaledrina)
    The Hound of Rowan by Henry H. Neff (al.vick)
    Gods of Manhattan by Scott Mebus (foggidawn)
    The Akhenaten Adventure by P. B. Kerr (al.vick)
    Nobody's Princess by Esther M. Friesner (legxleg)
    legxleg: Although it is set in Ancient Greece, not modern times, Nobody's Princess and its sequel Nobody's Prize take a similarly fun and irreverent view of Greek mythology.
    Iris, Messenger by Sarah Deming (infiniteletters)
    The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (alcottacre)
    Frostborn by Lou Anders (FFortuna)
    The Blood Guard by Carter Roy (foggidawn)
    Goddess Boot Camp by Tera Lynn Childs (Runa)
    Summer of the Mariposas by Guadalupe Garcia McCall (rarm)
    Powerless by Matthew Cody (Runa)
    Runa: Both series feature middle school aged kids who have superpowers, working together to solve mysteries and take down larger-than-life bad guys.
    Valkyrie by Kate O'Hearn (kgriffith)

Group TopicMessagesLast Message
 Hogwarts Express: [The Lightning Thief] (with spoilers)31 unread / 31KRomana, January 2017

English (1,167)  Spanish (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  French (1)  All languages (1,177)
I read this book because my nine-year old loves it. I enjoyed it too. It has some action violence in it. I thought it was very imaginative and I enjoyed the adventure. I don't normally get into the Greek myths, but this was really a fun journey. ( )
  BeccaGr8t | Jan 6, 2023 |
I'm surprised that I liked this as much as I did. I think a big part of my enjoyment was sharing it with my 7 year old. ( )
  amcheri | Jan 5, 2023 |
I didn't expect to like this book as much as I did. The premise is an old theme in a fresh environment - the ancient Greek quest in the modern United States. There are so many things about this book that were fun, smart, and kind of awesome.

Also awesome - that the hero for once wasn't a son of Zeus.

This is a series I will definitely continue with. ( )
  wisemetis | Dec 27, 2022 |
I watched the movie first, so my thought process on this one is sort of backwards. I found the movie mediocre but amusing. And by that the books is so much more detailed, intricate and plotted than the movie. The book by it self I consider "okay" while in comparison to it's movie it's "amazingly better."

I'll keep reading these and we'll see where it goes. ( )
  wanderlustlover | Dec 26, 2022 |
Pretty good Young Adult novel of boy who finds out he's related to the Greek gods of mythology. Fun story. I still haven't read the sequels though. ( )
  kslade | Dec 8, 2022 |
"The Lightning Thief" is perfectly paced, with electrifying moments chasing each other like heartbeats, and mysteries opening out in sequence. The action never feels gratuitous; it draws its depth from the myths at its source.

Riordan's fast-paced adventure is fresh, dangerous, and funny.
added by khuggard | editBooklist, Chris Sherman

Riordan, Rickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bernstein, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bollinger, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, Ellice M.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Haley,
who heard the story first
Look, I didn’t want to be a half-blood.
"Remarkable, really, the lengths to which humans will go to fit things into their version of reality." Chiron p. 155
He looked like a tuskless walrus in thrift-store clothes.
This LT work is the first volume (of five) in Rick Riordan's series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Please do not combine it with any other individual title or collection of titles from the series. Thank you.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141319135, 0141329998, 0141330007

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,911,257 books! | Top bar: Always visible