The Lightning Thief (Movie Tie-in Edition)…

The Lightning Thief (Movie Tie-in Edition) (Percy Jackson and the… (original 2006; edition 2010)

by Rick Riordan

23,2471148112 (4.08)1 / 659
After learning that he is the son of a mortal woman and Poseidon, god of the sea, twelve-year-old Percy is sent to a summer camp for demigods like himself, and joins his new friends on a quest to prevent a war between the gods.
Member:DavidGlover
Title:The Lightning Thief (Movie Tie-in Edition) (Percy Jackson and the Olympians)
Authors:Rick Riordan
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2010), Paperback, 400 pages

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (2006)

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling (alexiscartwheel, krizia_lazaro)
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (alcottacre, Jozzey07)
    Jozzey07: Both these books have an amazing blend of, action and comedy.
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (foggidawn)
    Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz (caroljeanr)
    The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan (aps3644)
    aps3644: More of Riordan's magic in a different local.
    The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (alcottacre)
    The Alchemyst by Michael Scott (deslivres5)
    deslivres5: Start of series with teenagers vs. supernatural forces from European folklore
    Nobody's Princess by Esther Friesner (legxleg)
    legxleg: Although it is set in Ancient Greece, not modern times, Nobody's Princess and its sequel Nobody's Prize take a similarly fun and irreverent view of Greek mythology.
    The Hound of Rowan by Henry H. Neff (al.vick)
    Gods of Manhattan by Scott Mebus (foggidawn)
    The Akhenaten Adventure by P. B. Kerr (al.vick)
    Slayers by C. J. Hill (kaledrina)
    Hero by Mike Lupica (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Both books deal with young boys coming to terms with a supernatural inheritance from their fathers and entwine action/adventure with friendship and family.
    Iris, Messenger by Sarah Deming (infiniteletters)
    Goddess Boot Camp by Tera Lynn Childs (Runa)
    Summer of the Mariposas by Guadalupe Garcia Mccall (rarm)
    Frostborn by Lou Anders (FFortuna)
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Alfred Kropp by Rick Yancey (megan003)
    megan003: Another boy who discovers his father has left him a unique legacy that involves fantastical threats against his life.
    The Blood Guard by Carter Roy (foggidawn)
    Infinity by Sherrilyn Kenyon (shawnawegner)
    shawnawegner: Magic and Fantasy, a darker look into the paranormal.

English (1,126)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (1,137)
Likable characters, nice pace, really good book for kids who don't like to read. That said: it's not original. I could predict the ending of every book from the start- follow's the usual formulaic plot with less disguises than some I could name. But I liked it. ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
4.5⭐ rounded down because I know I love other books in the series even more. ( )
  Jonesy_now | Sep 24, 2021 |
I read this book in anticipation of the movie. I had kept meaning to read this book and never got around to it which was a mistake b/c it was really good. This book had lots of adventures and great characters ; well worth the read. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
***After rereading on 25 August 2016***
I had a couple of weird/upsetting months. And this story helped me go to sleep. Not because it's boring but the pulled me enough in that all my other worries got blocked.

Exactly what I needed.

***Before rereading on 18 July 2016***

One of my guilty pleasures. I read this as a adult for the first time and most of the time I despise Young Adult stories. I can see why I would like them when I was younger but now... Nop give me grownups (-isch) please!

But this one... Yeah.

Also I'm in love with the narrators voice. Very... soothing? Meh, I just like it (very helpful). ( )
  Jonesy_now | Sep 24, 2021 |
I kind of looked down on these books as a kid for some reason, but in retrospect I have no idea why. This was great! Rick Riordan is the best! ( )
  misslevel | Sep 22, 2021 |
"The Lightning Thief" is perfectly paced, with electrifying moments chasing each other like heartbeats, and mysteries opening out in sequence. The action never feels gratuitous; it draws its depth from the myths at its source.

Riordan's fast-paced adventure is fresh, dangerous, and funny.
added by khuggard | editBooklist, Chris Sherman

Riordan, Rickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bernstein, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Haley,
who heard the story first
Look, I didn’t want to be a half-blood.
"Remarkable, really, the lengths to which humans will go to fit things into their version of reality." Chiron p. 155
He looked like a tuskless walrus in thrift-store clothes.
This LT work is the first volume (of five) in Rick Riordan's series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Please do not combine it with any other individual title or collection of titles from the series. Thank you.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141319135, 0141329998, 0141330007

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,471,111 books! | Top bar: Always visible