The Akhenaten Adventure by P. B. Kerr

The Akhenaten Adventure (2004)

by P. B. Kerr

Series: Children of the Lamp (1)

1,200None6,665 (3.72)22

This could have been an entertaining book if the author didn't use characterisation that relied on casual racism to differentiate between characters. The twin's uncle renames people because it's too hard to pronounce names, one of the Djinn learned english through Irish TV and talks in Irish sayings, not in Irish style grammar; the french woman is dismissed that she will believe she drank too much wine for breakfast, all of this overshadowed the story for me and made it less enjoyable.

The core story was quite interesting, two children who are the children of Djinn come into their powers when their wisdom teeth come in and are sent to their uncle, Nimrod, in London to learn more about their heritage and get involved in adventures with the more evil djinns.

I won't be reading more in this series, the lazy characterisations pulled me out of the story and made it a harder read than it should have been. ( )
1 vote wyvernfriend | May 23, 2013 |
John and Philippa are not your ordinary twelve year old twins. On the surface they look like typical rich kids living on New York's upper east side. That is, until they both need their wisdom teeth pulled. At twelve. From there things get even more strange. Turns out, John, Philippa and their mother, Layla are from a long line of djinn. In order to explain this to the children they are shipped off to their djinn uncle in London, England. He is supposed to teach them how to control their powers, give them the history of the different tribes of djinn, and of course, get them involved in a little murder mystery on a trip to Cairo...
While this is supposed to be "just" a book for kids I found it completely entertaining. Like, how does a one-armed man pretend to tie his shoelaces? I kept picturing a movie. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Nov 20, 2012 |
Review by: Franny

Tough Topic: good, evil, extraordinary
There are two twins boys name John and Philaippi, discover a djinn. They go to extraordinary places because they can grant wishes. The twins have an uncle named Nimrod he is a djinn, who will be teaching the twins the power. The characters are Nimrod, John, Philippi, Ibis, Mrs. Rashasas, and Creamy.
My favorite part is when Philippi wrote a poem to Creamy because he found out she like poems. My least favorite part Mrs. Grant help the twins check in their luggage and then scatted to the airport. The setting is in Egypt was camped in the desert twenty miles south of Cairo. Beside that there was snake, a dung beetle, a small scorpion, and in the distance, a donkey pulling a woken cart in the desert. Conflict with the twins is strong, skilled and clever enough to outwit Ibis. The resolution is yes they can outwit the evil djinn.
I recommend this book to young adults because it has adventure and excitement. The twins are 12 years old, around our age. It likes the same with us and the book because we like adventure.
I give this book a 5 because it is an interesting book. I got this book because I like reading really long books. Plus I like adventure also like romance. ( )
  bplteen | Apr 23, 2012 |
Finished today.

While probably fine when the audience is an actual child, this book doesn't transcend the genre like the Harry Potter or Percy Jackson series do and lacks appeal for an adult audience. It didn't help that the audio book narrator had a *really* annoying voice that sounded so smug and condescending at times I wanted to slap him.

When the Gaunt twins, Philippa and John, turn twelve their dentist discovers they have developed wisdom teeth and removes them. This triggers the emergence of their genie - djinn - powers and good ol' Uncle Nimrod takes them to London and to Egypt to teach them to control their new abilities. Meanwhile, the evil Iblis is trying to discover the location of seventy djinn trapped during the reign of Akhenaten, and the twins must stop him lest he shift the balance of luck permanently.

Good points:
- Stories set in Ancient Egypt are always fun. I genuinely regret that this series wasn't around when I was in elementary school; I'm sure I would have loved it.
- Lots of description, which was good, although often these lengthy passages describe the interior of the British Museum, for example, and aren't quite riveting. They might bore a younger reader.
- Fast-paced plot

Bad points:
- Not crazy with the depiction of Akhenaten as a djinn-ghost. I wish he hadn't appeared in the story. It just felt forced and unnecessary.
- Kerr relies on antiquated, prejudiced stereotypes in his depictions of foreigners, most noticeably the French and Egyptian characters. One of Nimrod's manservants, Karim, is called "Creemy" because his employer finds the name more 'suitable'
- Philippa seems to be more powerful than her brother; at least, she's the one always granting wishes and seems to be the first to use her powers when a problem comes up. I wonder if there's a reason for it? I wish some character had mentioned this discrepancy, since I'm curious if it's a personality thing or a djinn thing
- the fast-paced plot, with characters traveling around the world, leads to the sacrifice of character development, which is too bad
- Lots of information dumping as Philippa or Nimrod explain the history of Egypt or the djinn to John/Groanin/the reader

While entertaining, this book isn't a classic. It'll entertain younger kids, but there are much better books you could pick out for them. ( )
  makaiju | Oct 1, 2010 |
Another fine "young kids with superpowers that have to save the world from an ancient evil" series of books. The twist with this book/series? There are 2 kids, twins John and Phillipa, and they are Djinn. Marids more specifically. And their new purpose in life? Maintain the balance of good and bad luck in the world. This book started off a little slow, but picked up in the end. I am looking forward to jumping into the rest of the series. Another bonus of this book is a Q&A with the author in the back and a historical section on Djinn and Ancient Egypt. ( )
  Diwanna | Aug 2, 2010 |

P. B. Kerrprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Keith, RonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book was written for, and with the help of, William Falcon Finlay Kerr, Charles Foster Kerr, and Naomi Rose Kerr, all of London SW19.
May you always know happiness.
It was just after noon on a hot summer's day in Egypt.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439670209, Paperback)

You can tell from the very first page that P. B. Kerr had great fun writing his novel, The Akhenaten Adventure. The way the author introduces his cleverly named characters, the atmospheric setting, the fun tone of his narration--all indicate that a hugely entertaining story is in store. The first installment of his Children of the Lamp sequence is set firmly in the present day, but it soon breaks away and encompasses several wonderfully colorful parts of the globe, England and Egypt included.

John and Philippa Gaunt, two twelve-year-old not-very-identical twins, live a privileged life on the Upper East of Manhattan with their wealthy parents and two curiously-mannered Rottweilers named Alan and Neil. The twins realize there's something amiss with their world when a string of strange things begin to happen after their wisdom teeth are extracted--they dream the same dreams, become stronger, their zits clear up, and wishes wished in their presence inexplicably come true. And, when their estranged Uncle Nimrod asks them to come to England for the summer during one such shared dream, the discovery of their destiny is set in motion.

John and Phillippa discover that they are descended from a long line of Djinn, have great inherent powers. They must call on these powers a lot sooner than they anticipated, though, because the ancient Egyptian pharaoh Akhenaten is not as dead as history has so far declared and his legion of seventy magical djinn could tip the balance of power in the magical realm and affect the whole world order.

P.B. Kerr, under his given name Philip Kerr, is the author of several bestselling thrillers for adult readers. His debut novel for children is a slick, zeitgeisty fantasy adventure that is sure to win him a new raft of fans. The Blue Djinn of Babylon is next up for those who get hooked. (Age 10 and over) --John McLay

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:31 -0400)

When twelve-year-old twins John and Philippa Gaunt develop extraordinary magical gifts, they travel to London to meet their wildly eccentric djinn-uncle, Nimrod, who teaches them to harness their new powers and sends them on a mission.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,424,700 books! | Top bar: Always visible