The Gift (Pellinor Trilogy) by Alison…

The Gift (Pellinor Trilogy) (original 2002; edition 2004)

by Alison Croggon (Author)

Series: Books of Pellinor (1)

2,089485,859 (4.04)1 / 67
A manuscript from the lost civilization of Edil-Amarandah chronicles the experiences of sixteen-year-old Maerad, an orphan gifted in the magic and power of the Bards, as she escapes from slavery and begins to learn how to use her Gift to stave off the evil Darkness that threatens to consume her world.… (more)
Member:JoeFieldWriter
Title:The Gift (Pellinor Trilogy)
Authors:Alison Croggon (Author)
Info:Walker Books Ltd (2004), 496 pages

The Naming by Alison Croggon (2002)

Sabriel by Garth Nix (geophile)
    Monster Blood Tattoo, Book 1: Foundling by D. M. Cornish (Nikkles)
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: The protagonist who starts from humble beginnings to become a powerful mage may be a cliche, but in both these series beginnings there is a carefully thought-out alterative world with sympathetic characters.
    The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley (megpyre)
    megpyre: another strong lady in the lead of this one. Robin writes beautifully!
    The Magicians' Guild by Trudi Canavan (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Another opening volume in a fantasy trilogy by an Australian author, featuring a strong-minded female lead.
    Gifts by Ursula K. Le Guin (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Both fantasy novels are part of their respective sequences, very engaging and integral to well-thought-through alternative worlds.
    Green Rider by Kristen Britain (geophile)
    The Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan (Nikkles)
    Winter of Fire by Sherryl Jordan (infiniteletters)
    The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer (sylvatica)
    The Singer of All Songs by Kate Constable (keristars)

English (47)  German (1)  All languages (48)
My son and I both enjoyed this book. It dragged for us through at least the first half but by the end, we were involved and interested and debating on getting the second one. ( )
  amcheri | May 25, 2021 |
I can't find anything wrong with this novel. It has a vivid world rich with interesting history and peoples. It leaves you wanting more of the world's tales. It's magic system seems interesting and tangible. The light and dark sides have their strengths and weaknesses as well as their own hierarchies that are interesting. The characters have unique and definitive personalities from each other. They all have human emotions that fit them. The description in this book is perfect. There's lots were you want it and little where you don't. The novel is gripping throughout even if the story is going slow or there are no action scenes, because something that might be of importance later on is happening and is interesting to the reader. Part of my favourite series of all time. ( )
  afrozenbookparadise | Apr 22, 2021 |
Didn't love it, didn't hate it; definitely needs a stroke more originality. Also, I hate it when non-linguists try to make up a language. Give it up, people!! Just because Tolkein did it, doesn't mean you can. Oh, yeah, that's right: Tolkein was a linguist. That aside, I was interested enough to read the 2nd book. ( )
  JenniferElizabeth2 | Aug 25, 2020 |
Let me tell you: I have read A LOT of Lord of the Rings-inspired teen fantasy, and this series truly stands out. ( )
  ibazel | Aug 7, 2020 |
The few things in this book I couldn't compare directly to Tolkien could be compared directly to Paolini (who has, himself, borrowed a lot), Lewis, Rowling, and even Star Wars. Nonetheless, it was a fun read. Once I got over the distraction of the parallels, I enjoyed it - I actually made a game of making sure I could make all of the proper connections. :P I recommend this if you've no problem with a little lack of originality - it's like hearing all the great fantasy stories reborn and combined, with subtle differences. ( )
  Midhiel | Mar 18, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

One is the singer, hidden from sunlight

Two is the seeker, fleeing from shadows

Three is the journey, taken in danger

Four are the riddles, answered in treesong:

Earth, fire, water, air Spells you OUT!--Traditional Annaren nursery rhyme Annaren Scrolls, Library of Busk
For Josh
For almost as long as she could remember, Maerad had been imprisoned behind walls.
The first book of this series has been published both as "The Gift" and as "The Naming".

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763631620, 0763626392

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,571,894 books! | Top bar: Always visible