Some Things Are Scary (No Matter How Old You Are) (2000)

by Florence Parry Heide

Other authors: Jules Feiffer (Illustrator)

A list of scary things includes "roller skating down hill when you haven't learned how to stop, getting hugged by somebody you don't like, and finding out your best friend has a best friend who isn't you."

I really loved this book for the simple concept it centers around. It is simply a book that lists common fears that a growing child might face. The fears range from irrational to completely common. I would have loved this book as a child because I would've felt less alone about my fears. This book would be absolutely perfect for the young children who have a hard time vocalizing their fears about the world around them. This book also reinforces the idea that scary things are totally normal and part of growing up is learning deal with these fears. In fact, the last page says that knowing you'll become a grown up is scary. This is such an important, comforting message for adjusting children who feel an overwhelming sense of pressure when it comes to growing older. ( )
  BeauLou | Nov 28, 2018 |
Some Things Are Scary is about everyday things that would be scary to a child, for example, "being on a swing when someone is pushing you too high. " This book mentions stuff we all would've thought were afraid when we were kids. ( )
  nomerbasic | Aug 28, 2018 |
You’re skating downhill, but you don’t know how to stop. You’re having your hair cut, and you suddenly realize . . . they’re cutting it too short. There’s no question about it: some things are scary. And never have common bugaboos been exposed with more comic urgency than in this masterful mix of things horrible and humiliating, monstrous or merely unsettling. Now in a compact edition with a new cover - and a bookplate that lets gift-givers specify the occasion - Florence Parry Heide’s witty text and Jules Feiffer’s over-the-top illustrations will get even the most anxious recipients laughing, while reassuring them (no matter how old they are) that they’re not alone in their fears (amazon).
  AmyStepaniuk | Aug 31, 2015 |
This book is about all sorts of things that we may find scary. Some are funny while others are things that we actually really worry about.
  kelseyo | Oct 14, 2013 |
I enjoyed this book a lot! My first thoughts were, "wow this book has a lot of silly fears in it" then I started thinking a little bit about fear. What I concluded is that fears ARE silly. Fears are something that we construct in our own heads, and they hold people back from taking risks. I know a lot of people that are afraid of trying new things and I find that to be the silliest fear of them all. I liked that this book guided me down that train of thought as I read it. The one legitimate fear I share with the narrator is the fear of growing up! I'm not necessarily afraid of becoming an adult, but it makes me nervous. The day that I can't act like a child anymore and get away with it will be a strange day. I wish that the book talked a little bit about overcoming fears, but that wasn't really necessary. This would be a great book to read to a class that is discussing fears at any level. ( )
  hreilly | Mar 5, 2013 |

Florence Parry Heideprimary authorall editionscalculated
Feiffer, JulesIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

For Lydia, Abigail, and Margaret Huck - FPH
For Emma Horne - JF
Getting hugged by someone you don't like is scary.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,461,589 books! | Top bar: Always visible