Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Someone to Love

by Mary Balogh

Series: Westcott Family Series (1)

"Humphrey Wescott, Earl of Riverdale, has died, leaving behind a fortune and a scandalous secret that will forever alter the lives of everyone in his family--including the daughter no one knew he had.... Anna Snow grew up in an orphanage in Bath, knowing nothing of the family she came from. Now she discovers that the late Earl of Riverdale was her father and that she has inherited his fortune. She is also overjoyed to learn she has siblings. However, they want nothing to do with her or her attempts to share her new wealth. But the new earl's guardian is interested in Anna....Avery Archer, Duke of Netherby, keeps others at a distance. Yet something prompts him to aid Anna in her transition from orphan to lady. As London society and Anna's newfound relatives threaten to overwhelm her, Avery steps in to rescue her and finds himself vulnerable to feelings and desires he has hidden so well for so long"--… (more)

Humphrey Wescott, Earl of Riverdale, has died, leaving behind a fortune and a scandalous secret that will forever alter the lives of everyone in his family--including the daughter no one knew he had... Anna Snow grew up in an orphanage in Bath, knowing nothing of the family she came from. Now she discovers that the late Earl of Riverdale was her father and that she has inherited his fortune. She is also overjoyed to learn she has siblings. However, they want nothing to do with her or her attempts to share her new wealth. But the new earl's guardian is interested in Anna...Avery Archer, Duke of Netherby, keeps others at a distance. Yet something prompts him to aid Anna in her transition from orphan to lady. As London society and Anna's newfound relatives threaten to overwhelm her, Avery steps in to rescue her and finds himself vulnerable to feelings and desires he has hidden so well for so long"--

My Review: Mary Balogh is one of my favorite authors. Her books are funny, romantic, and often heart-warming. For some reason, this book and these characters didn't capture my interest or heart in the way other books of her has. That was disappointing. ( )
  lrobe190 | Nov 12, 2021 |
2.5 stars because I did finish the audiobook, but no more because I thought it lacked the sparkle I have become used to from contemporary writers of regency romances. ( )
  Okies | Oct 14, 2021 |
It's a sweet friends to lovers novel and I thought it was funny how they were falling in love while not exactly realizing it. There are lots of good tropes in the book and subversion of Regency tropes, and while I was hooked from the start, once the plot twist occurs, I was up late reading it and couldn't put it down. The characters had some genuinely funny banter and I thought Avery was really interesting. I looked forward to his chapters and would have read a whole novel of him just quietly judging society life and trolling people. The heat level is a bit low and I wished there was more to the sex scene, but I usually like more heat so it's not a real complaint, just an an observation.

This is the first book in a series and I'm looking forward to the novels for Alexander, Elizabeth, and Harry. I think Harry has a lot of potential for being a compelling, angsty lead with a nice redemption arc. However, at times I felt like the book was just introducing characters to start up the next books, which wasn't so bad since I genuinely enjoy the characters and am looking forward to checking out the next books.

Four stars instead of five because I thought the Chinese martial arts master could have been written a bit better and sometimes Anna's letters were redundant. ( )
  amybear | May 8, 2021 |
The romance was cute but I was mildly irritated by the "ancient Chinese" mysticism surrounding Avery's martial arts teacher. ( )
  resoundingjoy | Jan 1, 2021 |
A rags to riches regency romance that reminds me of a reverse Cinderella story. Anna Snow is summoned to London from the orphanage that she grew up in and now teaches in. She has no idea who her family is and she's hoping when she arrives in London that she'll finally know more about her the circumstances that led her to being raised in an orphanage. She's desperate to be loved and to have a family. What she discovers is that her father was a Duke! He recently died, but she has a stepmother and three siblings, now she has a family that she's always dreamed of having! It's all quite complicated though and no one is very happy about the new "interloper." Her recently discovered siblings want nothing to do with her and the one person who takes an interest in her is her haughty and well dressed step cousin. He along with some of the extended family decide she needs a makeover and a lesson in manners and etiquette. Anna's curious circumstances have made her the talk of London! Slow burn romance, the first few chapters are hard to adjust to the language and extensive family names - but once you get past that it's smooth sailing. I didn't love all the characters (or care about them) hence the low rating. The ending was... interesting. ( )
  ecataldi | Nov 23, 2020 |

Balogh, MaryAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Landor, RosalynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Despite the fact that the late Earl of Riverdale had died without having made a will, Josiah Brumford, his solicitor, had found enough business to discuss with his son and successor to be granted a face-to-face meeting at Wescott House, the earl's London residence on South Audley Street.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,313,472 books! | Top bar: Always visible