A Charlie Brown Christmas: The Making of a Tradition

by Lee Mendelson

Other authors: Antonia Felix (Editor), Bill Melendez (Reminiscences)

Charles M. Schulz's A Charlie Brown Christmas: The Making of a Tradition is a lushly illustrated tribute to the beloved television classic that takes readers behind-the-scenes of the Peanuts holiday special that has aired each year since December 1965. A Charlie Brown Christmas: The Making of a Tradition includes the script of the Emmy Award-winning A Charlie Brown Christmas, more than two hundred full-color pieces of original animation art, Vince Guaraldi's original score and publication notes for the songs "Christmas Time Is Here" and "Linus and Lucy," and a look at the making of the feature from producer Lee Mendelson and original animator, the late Bill Melendez. No holiday season is complete without Charlie Brown, Linus, Lucy, Snoopy, and the rest of the Peanuts gang giving a forgotten tree a little love, reciting the Christmas story, and singing "Silent Night." Fans of Charles M. Schulz, the Peanuts gang, and A Charlie Brown Christmas will treasure this beautiful keepsake volume for years to come.… (more)

As far as I'm concerned, this is *THE* book about the classic 1965 Charlie Brown Christmas Special.
  benjclark | Jun 14, 2021 |
This is a book for fans of the Peanuts and especially A Charlie Brown Christmas. I am a big fan and even went to David Benoit’s Charlie Brown Christmas jazz concert this past year. This book explains how the first Peanuts cartoon came to be and the doubts the producers had when it was completed. I think it surprised everyone involved how much a big hit it has become. There are interviews with Lee Mendelson and Bill Menendez. There are also remembrances with some of the children involved. Also included in this 192 page book are the sheet music to “Christmas Time is Here” and Linus and Lucy. And finally, the entire script with illustrations complete the book. I enjoyed it but was disappointed that this is a reprint of a book that was published thirteen years ago. ( )
  grumpydan | Jan 15, 2014 |
I have been a fan of Charlie Brown for most of my life. Christmas doesn't seem like Christmas until I've watched A Charlie Brown Christmas on television. So you can imagine my excitement when I received this book chronicling the making of the show. This book doesn't really go in depth about the Peanuts creator Charles Schulz, but it's more of a behind the scenes look at how this cartoon came into being.

This book contains interviews from some of the people who worked closely with Schulz as well as reflections from some of the people who worked on A Charlie Brown Christmas. And while all that is interesting to read, I found the rough sketches, the illustrated script, and the music from the television show just as fascinating. There is something about the simplicity of these characters that speaks to the heart of millions of people. This show has been on the air for almost 50 years and there is a good reason for it.

If you're a fan of this show like I am, then you'll want to read this book. It's perfect for all ages. The younger kids will enjoy reading the illustrated script, while the older ones will enjoy reading about the making of a tradition.
Read more at http://www.2readornot2read.com/2013/12/review-charlie-brown-christmas-making.htm... ( )
  mt256 | Jan 1, 2014 |
Nice story of how this beloved special became a classic. ( )
  foof2you | Oct 1, 2008 |

Lee Mendelsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Felix, AntoniaEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Melendez, BillReminiscencessecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
On Saturday afternoon, February 12, 2000, I was talking on the phone with Charles Schulz. (Preface)
Ironically, there's a connection between the world's greatest baseball player and the world's worst baseball player—and it leads to the production of A Charlie Brown Christmas.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,889,449 books! | Top bar: Always visible