Seed to Harvest (2007)

by Octavia E. Butler

Series: Patternist series (Omnibus 1, 2, 4, & 5), Patternist: Chronological order (Omnibus 1, 2, 3, & 5)

The complete Patternist series--the acclaimed science fiction epic of a world transformed by a secret race of telepaths and their devastating rise to power. In the late seventeenth century, two immortals meet in an African forest. Anyanwu is a healer, a three-hundred-year-old woman who uses her wisdom to help those around her. The other is Doro, a malevolent despot who has mastered the power of stealing the bodies of others when his wears out. Together they will change the world.   Over the next three centuries, Doro mounts a colossal selective breeding project, attempting to create a master race of telepaths. He succeeds beyond his wildest dreams, splitting the human race down the middle and establishing a new world order dominated by the most manipulative minds on Earth.   In these four novels, award-winning author Octavia E. Butler tells the classic story that began her legendary career: a mythic tale of the transformation of civilization.   This ebook features an illustrated biography of Octavia E. Butler including rare images from the author's estate.… (more)
    Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor (sturlington)
    Survivor by Octavia E. Butler (scholz)
    scholz: Survivor is the novel in the Patternist series missing from this collection. Note that Butler herself didn't like Survivor, which might explain why it was not included in the omnibus.

English (12)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (13)
Octavia E. Butler is by far one of the best Sci-fi authors I've had the pleasure to discover. This series is no different. Following generations expertly, keeping the focal character at any given point absolutely engaging, and then daring to erase them is a feat not often achievable in fiction. Yet she does it with style and grace.
Superb. ( )
  MorganDax | Jan 28, 2020 |
I didn't really like the second and third books, but the first and last were good ( )
  haloedrain | Aug 3, 2019 |
All four books in this series had quite different feels and it's certainly possible to enjoy the books as standalones. If I were to only read one, it would be Wild Seed.

Wild Seed: Wow! A real interesting power struggle between two supernatural humans who have a complicated and at times abusive relationship. A lot of bad things happen to good people, and Octavia Butler has a real good way of making you feel truly awful when someone you care about is coerced into doing something.

Mind of My Mind: I spent most of this book wishing that the cool characters from Wild Seed would have bigger roles. But the main character in this book was, I thought, somewhat flat - and her conflicts never seemed particularly threatening or interesting. I guess there was a lot of ink from the perspective of someone who wanted to control people and not a lot from other perspectives so the book just felt somewhat one-dimensional. Quick read, though, and sets up the Pattern for Patternmaster.

Clay's Ark: here we get a pretty interesting escape story. You got your standard post-water California setting, and some people who got captured by wackos on the highway, and you have a backstory for these wackos which explains their group motivations pretty well. However I felt like the individual motivations were occasionally a bit lacking. Sometimes people would do things and it just didn't jive with how they had been characterized to that point. It felt pretty detached from the previous books - I guess it's the first one that launches into sci-fi territory, and also there's no mention of the Pattern or related phenomena beyond the passing mention of how Clay's Ark worked.

Patternmaster: This was a good end to the series, I think. It brought the Clayarks and Patternists together, examines what each have lost from their original humanity, and is a fun romp with plenty of intrigue, action, and truly heinous villains brought to justice. The three other books occur in the distant past of this one, and so the world has a feeling of deep history to it that it wouldn't have had as a standalone book. ( )
1 vote haagen_daz | Jun 6, 2019 |
It's a bit hard to write a review of an omnibus, and others have already done very good reviews. I originally bought the omnibus *after* buying an expensive copy of Survivor (the book that was excluded from this). I wanted to see what it was about, and to understand why the book was excluded, and whether it added to the group of stories, or detracted.

Patternmaster was the last work in this grouping, but the first actually published (and the first successful work by the author, as well). It's one of the strongest, as is Wild Seed, which is placed as the first work in the anthology (but was written after Survivor). Clay's Ark is the third work in the anthology, and was the last novel written in the series. Mind of My Mind is the second work in the anthology, and was written very soon after Patternmaster. It may be that Wild Seed was written to flesh out the details, or perhaps the author felt the need to revisit the characters in greater detail.. Patternmaster and Wild Seed are by far the strongest works, as is Survivor.

I understand, after reading all five, why she eliminated Survivor from this collection. It's a very different work, and effort, and doesn't need the other works as preface, or explanation. ( )
  Lyndatrue | Feb 28, 2018 |
The first book I read by Butler was “Fledgling.” I enjoyed it a lot, but it was Lilith’s Brood (Xenogenesis) that truly blew me away and made me a fan. Butler crafts some of the most compelling, and in-depth science fiction I have ever read.

Seed to Harvest includes four related novels in the Patternist series: Wild Seed, Mind of My Mind, Clay’s Ark and Patternmaster. First, I have to say I am grateful for this omnibus edition because otherwise I might have read them in published order, whereas this collection is done in chronological order. I think it’s better this way. Patternmaster was the first book Butler published, and it throws readers directly into a very different and strange world than the one we know. The other three books show how we got there and I think it makes for a better reading experience.

WILD SEED is the tale of Anyanwu, an African woman who can heal herself of any injury and is seemingly immortal. She is discovered by Doro, a being who has lived for millennia but at the expense of countless lives. He intends to create a master race of humans through careful breeding. He finds those gifted with psychic abilities and brings them together, and he wants Anyanwu as part of that plan. The two of them are at odds, but also drawn to each other- living embodiments of life and death. Butler’s characters are fully developed and come alive off the pages.

MIND OF MY MIND introduces Mary, who may be the key to creating Doro’s master race. Mary is the first powerful telepath born who is not driven insane by her gift. She uses it to create The Pattern, which binds her people together. Only, Doro may have gotten more than he bargained for when he realizes he’s not part of that master race. I think this is the best book of the four – I read it straight through because it was so creative and the characters so interesting.

CLAY’S ARK is where things get a little…weird. Wild Seed and Mind of my Mind were tightly connected stories, tied together by Anyanwu and Doro. Clay’s Ark introduces brand new characters and a new story-telling structure which swaps between present day and the past. The book appears completely unrelated to the two books that come before it, but is a critical bridge to Patternmaster. A father and his two older teen daughters are accosted on the highway and taken prisoner. Eli calmly informs that that he is carrying a disease that they now have, and will come to accept. Naturally, they don’t want to accept it and try to escape, with global consequences. In the prior two books, Doro hinted that his master race is going to be needed for a purpose. One that is finally revealed in the final book.

PATTERNMASTER opens with a surprise attack on Rayal, the Patternmaster, by Clayarks. These two species have been at war for decades, and the Clayarks realize killing Rayal is the key to winning. The story then moves to Teray, one of many sons of the Patternmaster His mental abilities are very strong, perhaps even strong enough to allow him hold The Pattern one day. This is something Coransee cannot allow, for he wants the Pattern for himself.

Overall, I didn’t find Seed to Harvest to be quite as good as Lilith’s Brood, mainly because of the conclusion. Lilith’s Brood has more closure while Seed to Harvest is left more or less in a stalemate. It’s almost as if Butler intended there to be another book (and perhaps the long out of print “Survivor” is that book). Still, I thought this was a brilliant, rich saga that pulls a reader in and keeps them long after the final page. Highly recommended. ( )
3 vote jshillingford | Feb 8, 2016 |
Doro discovered the woman by accident when he went to see what was left of one of his seed villages.

The Patternist series (also known as the Patternmaster series) is a group of science fiction novels by Octavia E. Butler that detail a secret history continuing into from the Ancient Egyptian period to the far future, involving telepathic mind control and an extraterrestrial plague. Patternmaster, Clay's Ark, Wild Seed, and Mind of My Mind were published in a single volume, Seed to Harvest.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,836,149 books! | Top bar: Always visible