Valley of the Dolls 50th Anniversary Edition…

Valley of the Dolls 50th Anniversary Edition (original 1966; edition 2016)

by Jacqueline Susann (Author)

Three women seek escape as they learn about the bitterness, corruption, and falsehoods of the show-business world.
Member:emoki13
Title:Valley of the Dolls 50th Anniversary Edition
Authors:Jacqueline Susann (Author)
Info:Grove Press (2016), Edition: 50th Anniversary, 496 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:twilight

Valley of the Dolls by Jacqueline Susann (1966)

English (71)  German (2)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (76)
Valley of the Dolls (Virago Modern Classics) by Jacqueline Susann (2003)
  arosoff | Jul 10, 2021 |
This book had been sitting on my shelf unread for years (around 4-5 years I believe). I bought this at a used bookstore because I had always wanted to read it. I am so glad I finally picked this book because I loved it!

This book took me on a wild adventure and I loved every second of it. It was fascinating going on a journey with the three girls. They all started off so naive and sweet and then things took a turn for them and they became so hardened.

I was most fascinated with Anne and Lyon Burke. Their relationship was so interesting. I loved the way she talked about him in the beginning of the novel. She was so in love with him.

Even though this was published in 1966, it is still relevant today. The way they talk about middle age women (particularly in the entertainment industry) is still applicable to today. Additionally, drug addiction is still a huge problem in today’s world.

This book is a cult classic and I can definitely see why. There is something oddly intoxicating about it. Like it’s kind of trashy but at the same time so ahead of its time. It’s kind of ridiculous at times but still manages to convey a message to readers.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this trip of a novel! ( )
  oddandbookish | Jun 1, 2020 |
Of course it is a book about trashy people, but they are people, and Ms. Susann gives us a deep look. I don't like these people much. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Nov 9, 2019 |
Rating this one three stars for being depressing and dated. Julie Burchill calls this a feminist book in her introduction, but I think she might be reading the novel through nostalgia-tinted glasses - of the three women, only Neely comes close to independence, and she's a bitch who still needs a man to stay sane. Anne is a dishrag and Jennifer, poor Jennifer, actually sacrifices her life for her fiance's Freudian fetish.

I actually only wanted to read this book because of Jennifer, or the actress who played her in the 1967 film adaptation, Sharon Tate. I don't know if Jacqueline Susann based the character on the actress, but the similarities - bar Jennifer's greatest attributes - are both spooky and tragic: 'But it was her face that held Anne's attention, a face so naturally beautiful that it came as a startling contrast to the theatrical beauty of her hair and figure. ... A face that glowed with genuine interest in each person who demanded attention, rewarding each with a warm smile.' A gorgeous woman with a heart of gold and no ego? Sharon Tate to a 'T'. I wanted to read the novel before watching the film, but wish I hadn't gone for the element of authenticity!

This book should basically have self-destructed with the advent of women's lib. Three women, a New England prude, a bad actress with a hot body and a teenage singer who mutates into a star, become friends in 1940s New York, and their lives and loves stay intertwined, for good and bad, into the 60s. Anne drops a millionaire for a slimy commitment-phobe, Jennifer marries a crooner with a mental age of ten but stays sweet with the aid of her little red 'dolls', or Seconals, and Neely turns into a monster who claws her way to the top but almost kills herself in the process. Apart from straight-talking Jen, and even sells out for a husband and a baby, none of the women are remotely likeable. I wanted to shake them all.

A great insight into 1950s New York, especially the theatre scene and then later television, and just about readable, but OH MY GOD. I hope women have more dignity now, but if they don't, I'd rather not read about them. ( )
  AdonisGuilfoyle | Oct 5, 2019 |
Despite being a classic had I before I got asked if I wanted to participate in the blog tour never read nor seen the movie version of Valley of the Dolls. But, since I'm a daring person when it comes to books did I not hesitate to read it, despite not knowing much about the book. I do not know how big a hit the book was in Sweden when it was published, but I have never really heard that much about the book, could be because I was not born when it was published. So, it was interesting to read a book that so many people seem to like and that seemed to have been an inspiration source for other female writers.

And, the book turned out to be quite good, in the kind of depressing way when you read something that you know will not end on a happy note. And, I was right. Anne, Neely, and Jennifer, they all reach success in their own way, but that doesn't mean that their life will be happy and unhappiness in love, addiction to pills and illness mark their lives. I would say that this book written 50 years ago and taking place over 20 years from the middle of the 40s could just as well has been written today. Not, much has changed in the world and the struggle to get to the top is still a dangerous climb. I mean how many celebrities have not died because of drugs in the last couple of years?

Of all the characters in the book was it Neely that I had the most problems with. Right from the start did I feel that she was annoying and towards the end of the book I really hated her. I really mean that I almost had a throw the book away moment because of her. I get angry just thinking about her while writing the review. Jennifer, I feel sorry for, she is so beautiful, but her mother controlled her life and not even her beauty could make her really happy, or rather her beauty would be the end for her since that was all people saw. And then we have Anne, who only wanted real love, and in the end, she got love, but at a cost.

It's a very tragic book and I do not know if it's a book I would like to read again, but and I'm glad I read the book. Valley of the Dolls is well-written and interesting and it feels timeless.

Thanks to Virago for providing me with a free copy for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
Valley of the Dolls is a zipper-ripper that has been called trashy, tawdry, glitzy, lusty, sordid and seamy — and that's just the beginning of its appeal.

Jacqueline Susannprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dèttore, MariapaolaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Josephine who sat at my feet, positive I was writing a sequel*
*but most of all to Irving
You've got to climb to the top of Mount Everest to reach the Valley of the Dolls.

VIRAGO EDITION:
Dolls - red or black, capsules or tablets, washed down with vodka or swallowed straight. For Anne, Neely and Jennifer, it doesn't matter as long as the pill bottle is within easy reach. These three beautiful women become best friends when they are young and idealistic and struggling at the bottom of the ladder of the entertainment industry.

By the time they reach the top, they discover there is no place to go but down - into the Valley of the Dolls.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,484,519 books! | Top bar: Always visible