Missing, Presumed by Susie Steiner

Missing, Presumed (original 2016; edition 2016)

by Susie Steiner

Member:karenmarie
Title:Missing, Presumed
Authors:Susie Steiner
Info:The Borough Press
Rating:***1/2
Tags:R22, kph, fiction, mystery, read

Missing, Presumed by Susie Steiner (2016)

In Susie Steiner’s first police procedural (and second novel), Detective Sergeant Manon Bradshaw of the Major Incident Team of the Cambridge police is something of a ticking time bomb. Single, approaching forty, her personal life in disarray and with no viable life partner on the horizon, she has been reduced to the humiliating ritual of internet dating. One night, after returning home from another disastrous romantic encounter, she hears a call (on the police radio she’s installed against regulations in her bedroom) for officers to report to the scene of a serious incident, which, when she arrives, at first glance appears to be a violent abduction. The missing woman, 22-year-old student Edith Hind, is the daughter of Sir Ian Hind, royal surgeon, and his wife Miriam. It is a high-profile case with an attractive victim whose personal life becomes the focus of intense media scrutiny and salacious speculation. Steiner employs multiple points of view—primarily Manon, her relentlessly optimistic colleague DC Davy Walker, and Edith’s mother Miriam—to tell a story that is kept moving briskly along as secrets are unearthed, a body is found, and the police spend their time following up a series of leads, some false, others credible. Steiner’s novel is a well-told tale of good intentions gone awry. Her characters are delightfully flawed. They make mistakes. They act badly for a variety of reasons. Some of her people are weak and selfish, others are simply unlucky. Her greatest gift to readers, however, is Manon Bradshaw, a smart, tough, thoroughly modern career-driven young woman: emotionally vulnerable, savvy about many things (men being the glaring exception), not above profane outbursts and fits of jealous pique, and whose personal struggles arouse the reader’s sympathy and interest. The mystery at the core of Missing, Presumed is resolved in a credible manner, perhaps just short of wholly satisfying, but by that time the reader is so completely invested in Manon and her colleagues at Cambridge MIT that the only thing we really want to be told is that the author is writing a sequel. ( )
  icolford | Aug 1, 2018 |
Decidedly dull procedural. It was only towards the end (with a couple of totally unexpected plot twists) that the story seemed to catch fire. The central character (DS Manon Bradshaw) and her colleague DC Davy Walker are appealing characters and there were some clever turns of phrase, but this is not enough to entirely redeem this humdrum affair. ( )
  David_of_PA | Jul 14, 2018 |
It's not just us in the US, apparently, that everyone loses their minds when a pretty young white lady goes missing. In Susie Steiner's Missing, Presumed, the pretty young white lady, Edith Head, is also posh (her father is a physician for the Royal family and connected to top government officials), which means that things really go bonkers. The book isn't really about Edith, though. It's about how the way she suddenly vanishes one night after going out for drinks with her boyfriend and best friend sends shockwaves through a whole host of people: her mother (whose own medical career was forced into the backseat by her husband's), the aforementioned best friend (who worships her), and of course the police, particularly Manon Bradshaw, the detective assigned to the case and her sweet-natured partner Davy. When a seemingly unconnected body turns up in a river nearby not too long after the disappearance, Manon can't shake her sense that the two cases are somehow connected and she doggedly fights to find out what links them.

Steiner has done one of my favorite things with Manon: she's written a strong female character who's a bit of a mess without losing her strength. Manon's about to turn 40, desperate for a family, and can't quite seem to stop sleeping with just about every dude she meets from internet dating sites, no matter how terrible the date. She's not written as an out-of-control sad sack, though, just lonely and wanting a family of her own and having no idea how to get there. When she finally does find herself in a relationship, though, the way it plays out is so cringeworthily realistic to anyone who's ever been unhappily single (I have definitely been in that category before): how fast she falls, ignoring warning signs, and how gut-wrenching it is when it comes apart. I did find myself wishing that Steiner had either centered the entire story on Manon or made more use of the other narrators...Manon is by far the dominant voice, and the others are used so relatively little, that it feels like Steiner couldn't make up her mind which way she wanted it to go and tried to have it both ways.

The mystery part of the plot, which is secondary to the character development part of things, was suitably well-done for me in terms of not being really obvious (I'm not much of a mystery reader so your mileage may vary) but I found myself questioning the motivation behind the eventual solution: I didn't think that the driving character would have behaved in the way that they did and thought it all wound up a little too neatly tied in a bow. But since the focus was really on the characters and the characters were well-written, I really enjoyed it. ( )
  500books | May 22, 2018 |
My expectations were that this book would be similar to Tana French's books. It was in that we were drawn into the detective's inner life as well the investigation. Though, I was not as invested in the characters and the actual crime like I was with French's books. The solution to the crime was anticlimactic. The third part of the book pulled me out of the crime and into the main detective's life which was not all that interesting. I almost forgot there was an investigation going on. Three stars because the writing was good and I did develop empathy for most of the characters and the ending did tie up the book nicely but as I already said was anticlimactic. This detective series may get better with each book, would be willing to check out the next one. ( )
  debann6354 | Mar 30, 2018 |
I didn't like the main character, Manon, very much until the very end. She's trying to hard to be happy but going about it all the wrong way. The actual plot line is a tragic series of missteps. In searching for the missing girl, a murder victim is found and a troubled woman is driven to suicide. There is a sense, for Manon at least, that the mistakes in her case make her stop and think about where she is going in her life. The plot was unique and I enjoyed the twist. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Mar 21, 2018 |

Steiner, Susieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McMahon, JuanitaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stensen-Alders, DaniëlleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
" The end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started" Little Giddings, T.S.Eliot
For John and Deb
She can feel hope ebbing, like the Christmas lights on fade in Pound Saver.

For readers of Kate Atkinson and Tana French comes a page-turning literary mystery that brings to life the complex and wholly relatable Manon Bradshaw, a strong-willed detective assigned to a high-risk missing persons case.

At thirty-nine, Manon Bradshaw is a devoted and respected member of the Cambridgeshire police force, and though she loves her job, what she longs for is a personal life. Single and distant from her family, she wants a husband and children of her own. One night, after yet another disastrous Internet date, she turns on her police radio to help herself fall asleep—and receives an alert that sends her to a puzzling crime scene.

Edith Hind—a beautiful graduate student at Cambridge University and daughter of the surgeon to the Royal Family—has been reported missing for nearly twenty-four hours. Her home offers few clues: a smattering of blood in the kitchen, her keys and phone left behind, the front door ajar but showing no signs of forced entry. Manon instantly knows this case will be big—and that every second is crucial to finding Edith alive.

The investigation starts with Edith’s loved ones: her attentive boyfriend, her reserved best friend, and her patrician parents. As the search widens and press coverage reaches a frenzied pitch, secrets begin to emerge about Edith’s tangled love life and her erratic behavior leading up to her disappearance. With no clear leads, Manon summons every last bit of her skill and intuition to close the case, and what she discovers will have shocking consequences not just for Edith’s family, but for Manon herself.

Suspenseful and keenly observed, Missing, Presumed is a brilliantly twisting novel of how we seek connection, grant forgiveness, and reveal the truth about who we are.

Praise for Missing, Presumed

“Detective Manon Bradshaw is appealing, multifaceted, and unforgettable. She charges through Missing, Presumed with twin goals—to find the body, and to find durable love. The resolution of this gripping novel astonishes, and leaves a long afterglow.”—Amity Gaige, author of Schroder

“Manon Bradshaw is a messed-up, big-hearted detective in the best tradition.”—Harriet Lane, author of Her

Missing, Presumed is a gripping, suspenseful, gratifyingly unpredictable detective novel, with enough plot twists to satisfy fans of the genre. But it’s also a beautifully written reflection on loneliness, and that’s what will stay with you long after you’ve turned the last page. I hope we’ll see more of Susie Steiner’s prickly, all-too-human DS Manon Bradshaw!”—Maggie Mitchell, author of Pretty Is

“Within a chapter, DS Manon Bradshaw announces herself as a detective to follow through books and books to come. Here’s a treat for those who love their crime fiction rich in psychology, beautifully written, and laced with dark humor. Dive in.”—Lucie Whitehouse, author of Before We Met

“Dazzling . . . Missing, Presumed is an extraordinarily assured police procedural in the tradition of Ruth Rendell and Elizabeth George—the surprises continue to the last page as Steiner blasts expectations and assumptions to dig deep into questions of trust, betrayal, class, and family bonds.”—Joseph Finder, author of The Fixer

“A complex, gripping read . . . The mystery behind Edith Hind’s disappearance is filled to the hilt with provocative breadcrumbs, making for a page-turning literary crime novel that is nicely balanced by the all-too-relatable human foibles of lonely Detective Sergeant Manon Bradshaw.”—Suzanne Rindell, author of The Other Typist

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 08 Mar 2016 06:55:16 -0500)

"Detective Manon Bradshaw is 39, single, and miserable as sin. She has endured some of the worst dates in internet history. But she loves her job and performs it brilliantly; all she needs to rise up in the ranks is a big break. Edith Hind is a gorgeous, intrepid graduate student at Cambridge University who seems to have it all: a doting boyfriend, a devoted friend named Helena, a loving mother and a father who is a surgeon to the Royal Family. When Edith turns up missing from her apartment one evening, leaving only a single streak of blood along the front foyer wall, the case becomes a national media sensation. In the first frenzied 72 hours of being assigned to the case, Bradshaw will make a number of alarming discoveries: Edith's behavior had been erratic in the run-up to her disappearance, and her close friend Helena, the last person to see her, is clearly hiding something. A known sex offender appears in CCTV footage of Edith taken a short while before she goes missing. Then a body is discovered floating in a nearby river. Is Edith Hind alive or dead? Was her "complex love life" at the heart of her disappearance, as the tabloids are suggesting? Why is there reluctance, in the senior ranks, to press too hard on some elements of the story? Detective Bradshaw must use all her skill and resources to bring closure to the case for Edith's family, as she finds herself becoming ever more personally, and dangerously, invested"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Susie Steiner's book Missing, Presumed was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,031,130 books! | Top bar: Always visible