Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

What Were the Twin Towers? (2016)

by Jim O'Connor

429345,915 (4)None
Discover the true story of the Twin Towers--how they came to be the tallest buildings in the world and why they were destroyed. When the Twin Towers were built in 1973, they were billed as an architectural wonder. At 1,368 feet, they clocked in as the tallest buildings in the world and changed the New York City skyline dramatically. Offices and corporations moved into the towers--also known as the World Trade Center--and the buildings were seen as the economic hub of the world. But on September 11, 2001, a terrorist attack toppled the towers and changed our nation forever. Discover the whole story of the Twin Towers--from their ambitious construction to their tragic end.… (more)

The Twin Towers were so much more than * just * 9/11, and this book makes a nice attempt to paint a full picture for those who weren´t yet with us then.

On chapter 9, so often remarked on by other reviewers, I applaud the author.
It is made clear that the terrorists were Al Qaeda, and although people belonging to this group claim to be Muslim, their convictions have little to do with the actual religion.
Religion and politics are a difficult to explain to kids, (even lots of grown-ups have their troubles understanding), it is, in my opinion, not possible to explain the impact of 9/11 on the world without at least touching on the subject. ( )
  HeyMimi | Dec 28, 2020 |
Following on the Hurricane Katrina book, my son and I read this history of the World Trade Center in New York City. The book is a full history of the Twin Towers dating back to it's conception by David Rockefeller in the 1960s and deals with controversies such as the removal of Radio Row by eminent domain. There's a lot of detail about the design and construction of the buildings, and fun stories such as Philipe Petit's walk on the wire. The book also dedicates a chapter to the first bombing of the World Trade Center in 1993. The September 11 attacks are of course a major subject of the book, and again done in a clear manner appropriate to the age of the reader. There is also a chapter on the memorial, museum, and new One World Trade Center building. On the 15th anniversary of the September 11th attacks, this was a good way to remember the events of that day with someone to young to remember it himself. ( )
  Othemts | Sep 12, 2016 |
This is a very informative book about the twin towers and the 9/11 attack. I think it took a while to get to the meat of the book. There was a huge amount of information in the beginning about the back story and construction on the twin towers. This was helpful information, however, for my read aloud I probably would have condensed that a little bit. The book addresses important topics such as, what a terrorist is. This is important to address with kids and it is helpful to have a book or tool that will help with that.
1 vote Jaymand | Sep 11, 2016 |

Belongs to Series

For all the brave first responders on 9/11. --J.O'C
For my mom. --T.H.
It was a perfect end-of-summer morning in New York City.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,316,590 books! | Top bar: Always visible