The Perfect Girl by Gilly MacMillan

The Perfect Girl (2015)

by Gilly MacMillan

The New York Times bestselling author of What She Knew returns with an electrifying new novel about how the past will always find us... "Literary suspense at its finest. Mary Kubica, New York Times bestselling author of Pretty Baby A wonderfully addictive book with virtuoso plotting and characters - for anyone who loved Girl on the Train, it s a must read. Rosamund Lupton Zoe Maisey is a seventeen-year-old musical prodigy with a genius IQ. Three years ago, she was involved in a tragic incident that left three classmates dead. She served her time, and now her mother, Maria, is resolved to keep that devastating fact tucked far away from their new beginning, hiding the past even from her new husband and demanding Zoe do the same. Tonight Zoe is giving a recital that Maria has been planning for months. It needs to be the performance of her life. But instead, by the end of the evening, Maria is dead. In the aftermath, everyone police, family, Zoe s former solicitor, and Zoe herself tries to piece together what happened. But as Zoe knows all too well, the truth is rarely straightforward, and the closer we are to someone, the less we may see."… (more)
    Speak Softly, She Can Hear by Pam Lewis (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In both books, teenage girls are forced into horrifying situations resulting in deaths and life-changing consequences in these intricately plotted, gripping novels of psychological suspense. Eventually, they're forced to overcome their fears and painful pasts to reclaim their lives.… (more)
    The Girl in the Red Coat by Kate Hamer (tina1969)

English (42)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (44)
Having recently read the author's debut novel (What She Knew) and, before that, her latest (The Nanny) I was feeling really keen to catch up on her backlist. However, maybe my expectations were just too high because there were moments when I was reading The Perfect Girl when I found it hard to believe that this came from the same author. For me it lacked the psychological depth and credibility of the other books making it difficult for me to connect with any of the characters. Maybe this was partly due to the fact that the story was told from too many points of view, allowing little opportunity to feel any real connection with any of them.
From the much more simplistic writing style, and her superficial explorations of some of the darker themes of the story (and there are some very dark ones), I wondered whether the author was targeting it at the YA market, perhaps particularly teenagers.
Although I can see the superficial attraction of the resolution of the story, this was something I found particularly dissatisfying as all I could envisage were the psychological problems which would arise in the futures of all involved!
I'm left with the feeling that this story would probably work better as a film - although I think I'd still struggle with the ending! ( )
  linda.a. | Aug 19, 2019 |
This book was absolutely crazy to read.

First, it is horrible to see the way that teenagers can treat each other. The fact that two teenagers would lie about whether or not a fellow student had their drink spiked is horrible enough, but when it was the results of her going to jail, it is indescribably immature.

To see the way the main character was able to go on through her life is truly inspiring. While she was guilty of driving the car while intoxicated, she did not realize how intoxicated she was since her drink was spiked and if she was under the impression that she only had one drink.

It is saddening to see the way that her father failed out of her life due to this mistake. However, it is inspiring to see the way her mother and aunt rallied around her to make sure that she still had a great life.

The way the stepdad treated her mother and his first wife is appalling to see.

The way the two kids really don't want to make sure that their baby sister will not be treated the same way about him was great. Even though he did not kill the mother, it is very likely that he would have with the amount of violence that he was capable of at that time.

The author did a great job at sucking you into the story and being able to see it from the main characters point of view. You were able to feel horrible with her scenes of her torment. You were also able to feel sympathy for her when all she wanted was to be accepted at the school.

This author always does a great job and I look forward to reading more of her works ( )
  Michelle_Boyea | Jun 7, 2019 |
This is a pretty simple story, reasonable characters - maybe a few too many in the narrative. I liked some of the relationships but a lot of it was petty and boring. I think the theme of "what happens after you've done your time for a crime" is a good premise for a book and I liked the concept of "second chance family". However it was a bit heavy handed at times and I found it disjointed and wandering off to irrelevant places a lot. I really wanted to like this story more than I did and I did persist and finish it but I don't know how much I would recommend it. There are better examples of this sort of thing. ( )
  Felicity-Smith | May 22, 2019 |
This book is long, but it is a quick read. The story alternates the narrator between Zoe, a girl who had committed a crime but is now living her second-chance life, her aunt Tessa and uncle Richard and then also the solicitor, Sam. One of the discussion questions at the end of the book relates to the relevance of Sam as a narrator. I'm not sure I loved his storyline or how it related at all to the book. The mystery was interesting, but the story did stall at some points. ( )
  Sbojo32 | Jan 30, 2019 |
Zoe Maisey is a 17-year-old piano prodigy. Three years ago, when she was 14, she was involved in a fatal car accident and three passengers died. Her parents marriage crumpled after the trial in which Zoe was found guilty. Now, her mother has remarried and her second chance family has no idea of her past. This all is exposed one night at a piano recital. Later, that same night, her mother, Maria, dies. Will Zoe be suspected in this murder? Who actually killed Zoe's mother? What will Zoe do once she knows the truth? How can she right the wrongs of the past? ( )
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |
To my family
In the eyes of others, we're often not who we imagine ourselves to be.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Gilly MacMillan's book The Perfect Girl was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,914,859 books! | Top bar: Always visible