The Obesity Code: Unlocking the Secrets of…

The Obesity Code: Unlocking the Secrets of Weight Loss (original 2016; edition 2016)

by Dr. Jason Fung (Author)

220583,815 (4.22)5
In this highly readable and provocative book, Dr. Jason Fung sets out an original, robust theory of obesity that provides startling insights into proper nutrition. Flying in the face of the weight-loss recommendations that have failed in the past, this book reveals that obesity is a hormonal, not a caloric imbalance. As he explores the latest in nutritional science, Dr. Fung provides practical, effective advice on weight loss and the treatment of Type 2 diabetes based on sound scientific principles.… (more)
Member:ricgerace
Title:The Obesity Code: Unlocking the Secrets of Weight Loss
Authors:Dr. Jason Fung (Author)
Info:Greystone Books (2016), Edition: 1, 296 pages

The Obesity Code: Unlocking the Secrets of Weight Loss by Dr. Jason Fung (2016)

English (4)  Spanish (1)  All languages (5)
Unfortunately saddled with a poor title, The Obesity Code is not shilling some new fad diet or weight-loss program. In fact, this reader friendly, direct, and humorous book addresses the very serious problems with insulin resistance that so many who eat a western diet high in refined grains (and sugar) are plagued with. A trained nephrologist, Jason Fung has extensive knowledge based on years of experience with patients whose kidney failure and obesity were brought on by Type 2 diabetes. Obesity and insulin regulation problems are, he says, decades in the making. Therefore Fung’s book isn’t just one for fat people or diabetics; it is a book with genuine relevance for those of us who have been blithely and ignorantly eating a diet that slowly (sometimes even rapidly) compromises our health.

We’ve all been taught that a calorie is a calorie and fats are evil. The fact is: the body processes the three main macronutrients in very different ways, and healthy fats do not cause increases in insulin levels that can lead to Type 2 diabetes. Fats also trigger satiety hormones, which carbohydrates don’t do—so a person will actually eat less with fats in the diet. Fung clearly explains the different ways in which carbohydrates, proteins, and fats are broken down by the body. He highlights the particular damage that fructose (seemingly a “safe” sugar because of its low glycemic index) poses to the liver, the only organ that can process it. Fung advocates for fasting as a way to health, to break the insulin resistance cycle, and he tells readers how to do this.

Dr. Fung also keeps a lively and informative blog. ( )
  fountainoverflows | Dec 27, 2019 |
This book explains that insulin is the true cause of obesity. I am glad that I read it. My behaviors have changed because of it. ( )
  BoundTogetherForGood | Mar 7, 2019 |
One of a handful of books I've read in my life that's worth re-reading to find new gems.

I don't know that Dr. Fung has "the Answer", if it really exists, but his idea of obesity as a multi-factorial, primarily hormone-driven condition seems to have the ring of truth. He deftly presents study after study after study that reinforces how he arrived at his conclusions.

Highly recommended. ( )
  SiGraybeard | Jun 20, 2017 |
Interesting new perspective on the real causes of weight gain and diabetes. Background on why fasting works. ( )
  fishcasa | Jan 1, 2017 |
This book is dedicated to my beautiful wife, Mina. Thank you for your love and the strength you give me. I could not do it without you, nor would I ever want to.
THE ART OF medicine is quite peculiar. Once in a while, medical treatments become established that don't really work.
The biological parents had very little or nothing to do with raising these children, or teaching them nutritional values or attitudes toward exercise. Yet the tendency toward obesity followed them like ducklings.
Approximately 70 percent of the variance in obesity is familial.
Seventy percent.
Seventy percent of your tendency to gain weight is determined by your parentage. Obesity is overwhelmingly inherited.
However, it is immediately clear that inheritance cannot be the sole factor leading to the obesity epidemic. The incidence of obesity has been relatively stable through the decades. Most of the obesity epidemic materialized within a single generation. Our genes have not changed in that time span.
the root cause of obesity is a complex hormonal imbalance with high blood insulin as its central feature.
The hormonal profile of a baby is influenced by the environment in the mother's body before birth, setting up a tendency for high insulin levels and associated obesity later in life.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,285,814 books! | Top bar: Always visible