Bootlegger's Daughter by Margaret Maron

Bootlegger's Daughter

by Margaret Maron

Series: Deborah Knott Mysteries (1)

A Share in Death by Deborah Crombie (benfulton)
    benfulton: Strong, well-written female detectives.

This was the first of the series and first time author for me. I quite enjoyed the mystery and the building of the main character. I will be finding more from this author/series. ( )
  elizatanner | Jul 5, 2017 |
Interesting start for a series. Quirky characters people a bucolic Southern plotscape. A suitable environment for an old mystery that becomes suddenly violent. ( )
  jamespurcell | Aug 21, 2016 |
I'd listened to four later books in the Deborah Knott series and decided it was time to read the earlier books. Bootlegger's Daughter starts out with the discovery of a murder in May of 1972 before jumping to April of 1990. Its chapter titles come from songs.

I liked the reason Deborah Knott decided to run for judge -- good for her! The daughter of the murder victim found in 1972 wants to know who the killer was. Our heroine used to babysit Gayle Whitehead and had a big crush on her father, Jed, back then. Deborah agrees to look into it in whatever time she can spare from campaigning.

The comfortable local theory that Janie Whitehead was murdered by a long-gone vagrant must not be right because someone tries to sabotage .Deborah's campaign. Was it one of the persons she interviewed or someone who just heard about her questioning?

Ms. Maron brings her fictional county and its inhabitants to life. Deborah has plenty of kinfolks -- starting with seven older half-brothers and four older full brothers. Her farmer father, Kezzie Knott, is a former(?) bootlegger. He's not happy that his little girl wants to be a judge, but he's even less happy that someone has suggested that she's not suitable for the profession because of her dad. Throw in some neighbors and other small town inhabitants, season liberally with quirks, and we're served with a downright tasty mystery dish.

Deborah is going to have to be very careful because the killer who has spent 18 years thinking s/he got away with it won't hesitate to kill again.

Notes (pop culture references, fictional and real name-dropping, character facts, and non-spoiler tips to help those who've read the book find things again):

The author's disclaimer not only tells us that Colleton County isn't real, it was named for Sir John Colleton, one of King Charles II of England's lords proprietor in Carolina.

Prologue:

1. Cotton Grove's Front Street borders Possum Creek.

2. Cotton Grove is in the western part of Colleton County.

3. The abandoned gristmill was built in the 1870s.

4. The 'N' word is mentioned in relation to how often Michael Vickery uses it,

Chapter 1:

1. Judge Harrison Hobart is described.

2. Read here for where we got the idiom about having an ax to grind: http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/174000.html

3. Deborah tells us what prompted her to run for judge.

4. Reid Stephenson is Deborah's mother's first cousin, but he's four years younger than she is. He is described.

5. Sue's Soup 'n Sandwich Shop serves homemade Brunswick stew. (It's a real dish. You may look up recipes online. One recipe I found is called 'Get a Husband Brunswick Stew'.)

6. Pecan pie is Deborah's favorite, but she won't indulge all those calories for any that wasn't made by her Aunt Zell.

Chapter 2:

1. We get a little county history regarding school integration.

2. Look here for the description of a partisan political mural.

3. If you know 'Hush puppies' only as shoes, here they are deep-friend cornmeal batter. My dad told me that they're called that because they were tossed to the dogs to shut them up. He also told me that only a Yankee (cussing wasn't allowed in our house but he could put plenty of scorn in the word without the usual four-letter prefix), would put sugar in [the batter] and call it cornbread. Hush puppies are not sweetened.

4. Deborah tells her what her father's expectations were for her. She compares his attitude toward women to that of Jesse Helms. We're told which parental nature she took after.

5. We're told where district judges are placed on ballots.

6. Deborah's three rivals are described. She also tells us who is the only woman to be elected to county-wide office in Colleton, and about a song that gets sung.

7. Jed Whitehead calls Deborah 'Little Debbie'. Yes, that is for the snack food company.

8. Seth Knott is five brothers up from Deborah, but they've always been close. His wife, Minnie, is the closest thing Deborah has to a campaign manager.

9. Deborah graduated from West Colleton Senior High school.

10. Dobbs is described. It's the county seat of government.

11. Aunt Zell and Uncle Ash's house is of whitewashed brick. All residential streets of Dobbs are lined with huge oaks and maples that almost meet overhead.

Chapter 3:

1. The building housing the law firm of Lee, Stephenson, and Knott is described. So is John Claude Lee's wife, Julia.

2. Gayle Whitehead was six years old and Deborah in her first year of law school the last time she babysat her. 18-year-old Gayle is described.

3. Let the dead past bury its dead comes from 'A Psalm of Life' by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems-and-poets/poems/detail/44644

Chapter 4:

1. Deborah tells us something about the State Bureau of Investigation's building and describes Special Agent Terry Wilson. She also mentions the three things that stood between her, Terry, and the altar at Sweetwater Missionary Baptist church six years ago.

2. The large-mouth bass mounted on the wall opposite Terry's desk was caught in one of Kezzie Knott's lakes.

3. Miss Molly's Bar and Grill is described.

4. We hear some anecdotes about SBI cases. Loved the one about the Californian.

5. John J. Malone is a fictional detective created by Craig Rice (Georgiana Ann Randolph Craig). http://www.thrillingdetective.com/malone.html

Chapter 5:

1. We're told about the only legal conviction Kezzie Knott had.

2. We get some background information about the Janie Whitehead murder.

Chapter 6:

1. 'VCR' is the initialism for 'videocassette recorder,' the precursor to the DVD (the initialism for digital versatile or the earlier name, digital video disk:') recorder.

2. We learn about Will Knott's divorce from his wife, Trish.

3. Will was the Knott child who got Susan Stephenson Knott's treasured Zippo lighter. It was the only one of her items that all of her stepsons and sons fought over, but Deborah is the only one who knows who gave her mom the lighter and why she kept it.

4. Aunt Zell has been active in the Women's Missionary Union (WMU) throughout her adulthood. She's held district office in it.

5. All of Aunt Zell's babies died before they could walk.

7. Deborah is 34 years old and never married.

8. Preacher Barry Blackman of Bethel Baptist is an old high school boyfriend.

9. Deborah has memorized and re-memorized A. E. Housman's 'Loveliest of Trees'. ('A Shropshire Lad'). http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems-and-poets/poems/detail/44411

10. Rob Bryant is a Raleigh attorney. Deputy Dwight Avery Bryant is his brother. Their mother, Emily Wallace Bryant, is described. (Yellow Dog Democrats won't vote for a Republican.)

11. Kate Bryant's son, 9-month-old Jake, Rob's stepson, is currently the youngest of the Bryant-Avery clan.

12. Deborah tells us why she loves family reunions, even when it's not her family.

13. Dwight teases Deborah mentioning a judge's loose gray robe, but the robes in book two are black.

14, Sweetwater Missionary Baptist Church is the one Deborah joined when she was 12.

15. You may listen to 'Just as I am Without One Plea' and read the lyrics here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxA0TFe3-Uo

16. We meet the Pragmatist that sits in Deborah's brain. She's made a vow to herself.

17. The Dancys helped found Sweetwater Missionary Baptist.

18. When she babysat infant Gayle, Deborah used to look at the Vickery brick house and dream about what life might be like there.

19. Deborah wanted for nothing growing up, but her father's family tends to keep its money in land. Her mother's family is town-bred. Aunt Zell Stephenson Smith -- and her husband's -- house in Dobbs is almost as large as the Vickery house in Cotton Grove. Deborah contrasts her family with the Vickerys.

Chapter 7:

1. We learn about the bi-weekly 'Dobbs Ledger' and which judicial candidate it endorsed.

2. The USSR (initialism for Union of Soviet Socialist Republics) was founded on December 30, 1922 and ended on December 31, 1991. 'Glasnost' was the thawing of the very strained relations between the USA and the USSR that started in 1946 and was known as the 'Cold War'. Glasnost started in 1985. As for that 'buffer zone' the USSR created by taking over Eastern European countries, my Russian history teacher told us that it was understandable [not right, just understandable] considering that's where invasions of Russia came through.

3. Look here for information about G. Hooks and his sons, Gray Hooks and Victor Talbert. (This is where Deborah tells us the insult G. Hooks once told her father, using his local manager. to deliver it. We also learn that Deborah once represented a local woman in her paternity suit against Gray.)

4. Francis Bacon, 16th-17th Century Englishman, is called the father of empiricism, which is very important to proper scientific methods.

Chapter 8:

1. Aunt Zell is one of the poll watchers. (She has china blue eyes.)

2. Kezzie Knott knows his daughter likes her sausage with '...a little extra sage and not much red pepper'. As Deborah tastes it, she remembers hog killing time when she was little.

3. Aunt Zell points out the sausage her daddy sent is a peace offering and why. (It's been five months since he even called her.)

4. Kezzie Knott's house is 15 miles (24.140 16 kilometers) from Aunt Zell and Uncle Ash's house in Dobbs.

5. Aunt Zell's husband's name is James Ashley Smith. 'Zell' is short for 'Ozella'. They've been married for 40 years.

6. 'Miz' may be pronounced the same as 'Ms.,' but it's Southern for 'Mrs.'

7. They still use paper ballots in Dobbs.

8. There's a grandmother clock on Deborah's office's mantelpiece.

9. Reid and John Claude have an argument over the blonde Reid slept with a little earlier.

10. 'Suh' is Southern for 'sir'.

11. Aunt Zell's downstairs is jammed with Knotts, Stephensons, Smiths, and Lees.

12. Aunt Zell's wide central hall has a Persian rug on its parqueted floor.

13. Will Knott plays guitar.

14. Deborah taps the heels of her red shoes together as Dorothy did the ruby slippers in the 1939 MGM film, 'The Wizard of Oz'.

15. Stevie Knott, Deborah's nephew, wants to go to law school.

16. 'Here I am, Lord, Send Me' (not to be confused with 'Here I Am,' a different hymn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJv0sHucLLk

17. Seth is a clear baritone and Deborah sings alto. One of her earliest memories is harmonizing with him when she was a baby and he was nearly grown.

18. 'Will the Circle Be Unbroken": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV2wGkquR4Q

Chapter 9:

1. The first page tells us how Deborah fared in the primary.

2. Wednesday mornings usually have John Claude attending court in Widdington and Reid goes to Makely.

3. Gayle and Deborah buy themselves some Mountain Dew at a Tastee-Freez.

4. Deborah's grandfather's mules used to carry him home to the farm on Old Forty-Eight, no matter how drunk he was.

5. Deborah never heard of any Knotts living to be much older than 95.

6. We learn two stories about how Kezzie's father died. They both involve the singing of 'Sweet Adeline'. Here's the song sung barbershop quartet style: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTax7EWXIjk

7. Find out what the 'Dobbs Ledger' obituaries were like when the editor's wife, Miss Annie, wrote them. Kezzie was only 15 at the time.

8. Deborah tells us her burial preferences.

9. Janie Whitehead's tombstone is described.

10. Part of Deborah's income comes from a tobacco allotment she inherited from her mom, but she's still disappointed to see Gayle smoking. (She doesn't lecture on the danger of cancer, but would it have hurt to mention that cigarettes cause wrinkles?)

11. Gayle tells Deborah what others say about Kezzie. Kezzie was mentioned, not flatteringly, on a TV program when Deborah was eight years old. She describes herself as thinking Daddy sat on God's right footstool at the time. We learn how her classmates and best friend treated her the next morning. How the 'little twins' (3 inches / 7.62 centimeters taller and 15 years younger than the 'big twins') who were in eight grade, and Will, who was a senior, took care of the problem without Deborah telling them anything is mentioned.

12. At almost 82, Kezzie still looks and moves as if he were a vigorous 60-year-old and can still straight-arm an axe.

Chapter 10:

1. Michael Vickery and his life partner, Denn McCloy are introduced to readers.

2. Watch Tiny Tim singing 'Tiptoe Through the Tulips' on the 1968-1973 comedy variety show, 'Rowen & Martin's 'Laugh-In,' which was my introduction to him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMbQsKJ64S0

3. Susan Stephenson Knott used to give her eyebrows a little ironic quirk when she was secretly amused.

4. Dancys have lived in Cotton Grove since the American Revolution. We learn what Deborah's mother thought of the family.

5. Deborah can't afford to take the time often, but she loves playacting. A couple of years ago she played the prosecutor in 'The Night of January 16th'.

6. Steve Martin saying a drawn-out 'excuse me': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zANvYB93u2g

Chapter 11:

1. Michael Vickery talks about the day Janie and Gayle were found while taking Deborah and Gayle to Ridley's Mill.

2. Deborah's internal preacher scolds her.

3. There's a Sherlock Holmes reference.

Chapter 12:

1. Dwight Bryant is an ex-basketball player who was with Army Intelligence in Washington, D.C. when his marriage broke up.

2. Julia Lee picks up the law firm's coffee at a fancy store in Cameron Village.

3. Dwight was stationed in Germany when Janie was killed.

4. Dwight uses the term 'the seven-year-itch' and Deborah counters with 'male menopause'.

5. We're told about the only time Deborah saw her father take a switch (a thin, flexible rod, usually wooden) to Howard and Haywood, which was when she was 12.

6. Deborah took French in college.

7. Luther Parker brings a disturbing letter to Deborah.

8. These days Deborah takes her gin and tonic with a stingy amount of gin.

9. Seth and Minnie's tobacco, sweet potato, and soy bean farm, deeded to them for a wedding gift by Kezzie, was the Grimes place before Kezzie bought it in the 1960s. It's still called that. Seth & Minnie's modern house was built on the northwest side.

Chapter 13:

1. Deborah meets with her ex-sister-in-law, Trish.

2. Deborah's mother was a good woman with a narrow streak of wildness and we're told where that led her.

3. Will and Trish's marriage lasted only two-and-a-half years.

4. Saying that a woman has round heels means she's promiscuous. My daddy told me it meant the woman stayed in bed so much that her heels were round (no chance for the skin to get roughened from walking, I think).

5. Trish and her guest are described.

6. Deborah finds out what Janie Whitehead said about her teen-aged crush on Janie's husband, Jed.

7. Trish makes a Nancy Drew reference.

8. 'Digging up the dirt' on someone means trying to find out any scandalous information about him or her.

Chapter 14:

1. Trish talks about herself, Kay, and Janie.

2. My daddy used to chant the rhyme about 'fatty, fatty, two-by-four, can't get through the kitchen door'.

3. Deborah talks about the candy-begging dog that she and the little twins used to have.

Chapter 15:

1. 'The Dobbs Ledger' is the oldest continuous newspaper in Colleton County. Its building is described.

2. Deborah tells us the disadvantages of gracious old houses such as the one she grew up in.

3. Editor Linsey Thomas is described. He learned hundreds of synonyms that could be used instead of cursing from his grandmother, the one who wrote Deborah's grandfather's obituary. (I loved what he said about a letter he received. It's not the same disturbing letter from chapter 12.)

4. There's a grandfather clock beneath the stairs at the Law, Stephenson, & Knott building.

Chapter 16:

1. M. Z. Dupree's Cash Grocery is described.

2. This is the first time Deborah has been in the fancy Vickery house built by Evelyn Dancy Vickery's grandfather. We get a bit of a description.

3. Deborah compares the Dr. and Evelyn's marriage to 'Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?' after a nasty dig by the husband. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061184/

4. Minnie Knott has been on the phone to Haywood and Jack.

5. 'A mess of peas' is just a large amount of peas.

6. Seth's pond and its history are described.

7. 'Yea, he did fly upon the wings of the wind' -- Deborah is quoting the King James version of Psalm 18, verse 10.

8. Kezzie joins his daughter at the pond. The 'shug' he calls her is short for 'sugar'. They catch some crappies (a type of freshwater sunfish).

9. Chicken pastry and chopped broccoli salad are two of Deborah's favorites.

10. Deborah and Kezzie talk about her running for judge. Kezzie hates crows. He talks about them as opposed to a red-tailed hawk they're watching. (A biddy is a hen. It's also an insulting term for a woman who talks too much.)

11. Kezzie has fierce blue eyes.

Chapter 17:

1. Deborah remembers a red cloak Denn McCloy created for 'The Further Adventures of Red Riding Hood' that she wanted Denn to sell to her.

2. 'Mea culpa' is Latin for 'through my fault'. It can be used as an apology. When the Catholic Mass was in Latin, the part of the Confiteor (I confess) prayer where we acknowledge that we have sinned was 'mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa'. The 'maxima' turns the phrase into 'through my most grievous fault'.

3. 'lying in the bed you made' -- Deborah is referring to the saying, You've made your bed, now lie in it. (It was your choice, so just live with the consequences.)

4. The history of the Possum Creek Players Theatre [British spelling of 'theater' that we changed some time in the 20th century], is given. It's partially described.

5. Deborah's inner preacher is parodying Tacitus' advice that is most often translated as 'He who fights and runs away, may live to fight another day...' (the rest is usually left out). http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/t/tacitus118925.html

Chapter 18:

1. We learn some of what the media is saying about Deborah after her discovery in the last chapter.

2. Deborah says her Uncle Ash calls that phrase about a tongue being tied [or hinged] in the middle and flapping at both ends, 'congenital tongue deformity'. It means someone talks a lot.

3. We learn something about the land on which the Pot Shot Pottery lies.

4. A sparkplug clerk is ?

5. We're told what qualifications Deborah's firm looks for in clerks.

6. A photograph of her parents that Deborah took when she was nine is described. (Dwight refers to them as 'Miss Sue and Mr. Kezzie'.) Her daddy gave it to her Friday night.

Chapter 19:

1. Pullen Park: http://raleighfree.com/pullen_park.html or http://www.raleighnc.gov/parks/content/ParksRec/Articles/Parks/Pullen.html

2. The carousel: https://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/raleigh/pul.htm

3. This photo might show Deborah's childhood favorite among the carousel animals: http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/pullen-park-raleigh?select=WpkfwfCsiHozvKnzcNHQLg

4. Perry Mason is a fictional lawyer created by Erle Stanley Gardner. I love the theme from the 1957-1966 TV show version that starred Raymond Burr: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHqebO8aAc4

5. 'Strangers on a Train' is an Alfred Hitchcock movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044079/

6. Larry, Curly, and Moe were the comedians known as the Three Stooges. I loved them when I was a kid (and got in trouble when I tried one of their shticks on my little brother, luckily not very hard). http://www.threestooges.com/

7. Denn talks about Michael.

Chapter 20:

1. Deborah's internal pragmatist and preacher have an argument.

2. 'A few miles out from Raleigh, Forty-eight to Cotton Grove splits off to the right while Seventy goes on to Dobbs.'

3. We learn Denn's middle name.

Chapter 21:

1. Dwight Bryant wears size 11 (boots or shoes).

2. Dean Smith who sent a scout to some of Dwight's high school basketball games was probably Dean Edwards Smith, the legendary coach for men's basketball at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

3. Deborah's mother gave her a bird book and a pair of binoculars when she was 10. I doubt if what Deborah used to watch is what her mom planned for her to see. Heh.

4. Dwight is a lot taller than Deborah.

5. The sackcloth and ashes bit that Denn says he was going to do comes from the Bible. https://www.biblegateway.com/resources/dictionary-of-bible-themes/6742-sackcloth-ashes

6. Deborah compares Dwight looking at Denn to a '...big brown Saint Bernard looking at a high-strung miniature poodle.'

7. We meet Michael Vickery's sister, Faith. She's the one in the middle and works in Hollywood.

Chapter 22:

1. This is the first time Deborah has been upstairs at the Pot Shot. Michael Vickery's room is described.

2. Deborah's internal pragmatist and preacher verbally snipe at each other.

3. A pitcher Denn gives Deborah is described.

4. 'Aldcrofts have been burying the dead of Cotton Grove and Colleton County from this location on Front Street for more than a hundred years; and with two Aldcroft sons recently graduated from mortuary school, it looked as if they were going to continue on into the twenty-first century.'

5. The Aldcroft mortuary is described. (The first building burned down in 1910.)

6. Deborah thinks about wakes of unloved men she's attended as well as others.

7. Both of Michael's sisters have husbands and, between them, three teen offspring.

8. Deborah explains the local attitude toward homosexuality, theory and practice.

Chapter 23:

1. Denn talks some more about Michael.

2. Wow! The pragmatist and the preacher agree on something!

3. Deborah's father gave her a .38 revolver when she told him she didn't need a man to take care of her. She has a leg holster. She tells us why she's not worried about getting in trouble carrying a concealed weapon without a license.

Chapter 24: We learn Dwight and Jack's code names when they converse on walkie-talkies, as well as their code name for a suspect.

Chapter 25:

1. A prop from 'Once Upon a Mattress' is described.

2. We get a transcript of a May 15 interrogation.

3. Deborah makes a crack about the heaviness of Victorian women's clothing.

Chapter 26:

1. Deborah doesn't know if Howard Grimes was Amos and Petey Grimes' uncle or other kin to them.

2. Deborah makes reference to Hamlet about madness.

Chapter 27:

1. Denn's brother is a claims investigator for a national insurance company, Deborah believes.

2. The pragmatist snarks about something and the preacher scolds.

3. We learn about a way to tell if the composition of one shotgun blast is like another.

4. Denn has two teen-aged nephews.

Chapter 28:

1. Deborah talks about her mother's sociability.

2. There are some notables at Kezzie Knott's pig picking. (They aren't listed because I ran out of time before I returned the book to the library.)

3. Deborah has a conversation with an African-American female judge.

Chapter 29: We learn the results of the run-off election between Deborah and Luther.

Chapter 30:

1. 'Random Harvest' http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0035238/

2. There's an Emily Dickinson reference as well as a quotation about the curse placed upon the serpent in the Garden of Eden.

3. Deborah finds a Kirk Corner Notched point arrowhead.

4. Deborah tells us a little about her belief in God.

5. Kezzie Knott drives a battered red Chevrolet.

6. Deborah tells her father how she feels about equality under the law.

7. Three of Gray Talbert's employees, Shorty Avery, B.R., and Leonard, live rent-free on Kezzie's land.

8. Shorty Avery's daughter, Barbara May, was Deborah's high school classmate. Her oldest child is going to start high school.

9. Love the adjectives Kezzie has for Perry Byrd.

Dog lovers, there's a black & tawny brindled, medium-sized possible lab-Doberman mix named Lily for us to enjoy. ( )
  JalenV | Jul 13, 2016 |
Bootlegger's Daughter by Margaret Maron - 4 stars Book Description: This smart, sassy series introduces Deborah Knott, candidate for district judge--and daughter of an infamous bootlegger. Deborah's campaigning is interrupted when disturbing new evidence surrounding a murder that has never been solved surfaces and she is implored to investigate. My Review: I enjoyed the first book of this series. It had a good plot with wonderful characters. It's a great book to learn about southern living. I will definitely continue with this series! ( )
  EadieB | Jun 1, 2016 |

Margaret Maronprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chase, AlTypesettersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walotsky, RonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Carl Jackson and Sue Stephenson Honeycutt---for friendship and kinship rooted two hundred years in eastern North Carolina's sandy loam
Prologue: Possum Creek trickles out of a swampy waste a little south of Raleigh.
[Partner John Claude Lee looks pained as he noticed the mess Deborah has made of firm's copy of the newspaper]
...(Okay, so I notice nuances, too. But I'm older than Sherry. My generation was raised to notice. Doesn't mean I still react with an automatic 'I'm sorry' or 'Let me take care of whatever's bothering your little ol' manly sense of rightness' the way she does.) (chapter 7)
(Don't ask me how Daddy knows that [some gossip about Gray Hooks and his father]. He just does. But then he's always kept tabs on everything that goes on around his part of the county. He may not've ever studied Francis Bacon, but he sure does subscribe to Bacon's tenet that knowledge is power. (chapter 7)
[Deborah, telling readers about the kind of woman her mother had been]
Nine times out of ten, a good woman does exactly what her family and society expect of her.

That tenth time? Better stand back out of her way.

She'll burn down her world just for the hell of it, or risk everything she's worked a lifetime for on pure-out whimsy. (chapter 13)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446403237, Mass Market Paperback)

This first novel in Maron's Imperfect series, which won the Edgar Award for best mystery novel in 1993, introduces heroine Deborah Knott, an attorney and the daughter of an infamous North Carolina bootlegger. Known for her knowledge of the region's past and popular with the locals, Deb is asked by 18-year-old Gayle Whitehead to investigate the unsolved murder of her mother Janie, who died when Gayle was an infant. While visiting the owner of the property where Janie's body was found, Deb learns of Janie's more-than-promiscuous past. Piecing together lost clues and buried secrets Deb is introduced to Janie's darker side, but it's not until another murder occurs that she uncovers the truth.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:07 -0400)

Deborah Knott, an attorney attempting to infiltrate the old boy network of tobacco country by running for district judge, is distracted from the race, and almost eliminated, when she finds new evidence to an old small-town murder.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,527,930 books! | Top bar: Always visible