SantaThing signup ends Monday at 12pm Eastern US. Check it out!
dismiss

Bootleggers Daughter by Maron Margaret

Bootleggers Daughter (edition 1992)

by Maron Margaret

Series: Deborah Knott (1)

Attorney Deborah Knott has just entered the heated race for judge of old-boy-ruled Colleton County. The only female candidate, she's busy reeling in voters and giving campaign speeches. There couldn't be a worse time for Gayle Whitehead to beg Deborah to investigate the eighteen-year-old, unsolved murder of Gayle's mother, Janie.… (more)
Member:jetblack615
Title:Bootleggers Daughter
Authors:Maron Margaret
Info:Mysterious Press (1992), Edition: First Printing, Hardcover
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:50 Book Challenge 2012

Work Information

Bootlegger's Daughter by Margaret Maron

A Share in Death by Deborah Crombie (benfulton)
    benfulton: Strong, well-written female detectives.

When I heard that Margaret Maron had passed away, I knew I needed to reread (in some cases read) her books again. I decided to start with Bootlegger's Daughter. I remembered it fondly, and how could I go wrong with a book that won the 1992 Agatha Award and the 1993 Anthony, Edgar, and Macavity awards for best novel.

Back in the 1990s, I loved the book because Deborah Knott, the main character, was about the same age as I was. I related to her problems, her thoughts, her career choices. Now I love the book because of the insights about the land and the people in the fictional Colleton County. I *know* those people, have lived in that area, and understand the ebb and flow of life. The mystery is a bonus.

The author does play fair with the reader in this book. You can put together clues and perhaps figure out the person who murdered in the past. You might figure out who is murdering people now -- the clues are there. But in some ways, this is a novel that happens to be a mystery.

Highly recommended to anyone who enjoys well-crafted books. If you like mysteries, this should be on your "to read" list. So stop reading this review and start reading the book! ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Sep 6, 2021 |
investigating an old murder leads to two more, all caused by hiding homosexuality
  ritaer | Aug 18, 2021 |
I was not wildly impressed with this first book in this series despite the fact it won the Edgar and Anthony Awards for best novel. I listened to it because the author had recently died and online comments mentioned this series as being her best. I found the prime character, Deborah Knott, to be too good to be believed; she's smart, beautiful, unmarried but not without many suitors, good at fishing and other outdoor pursuits and able to juggle multiple calls on her time without ever wearing herself down. Not my cup of tea. ( )
  gypsysmom | Jul 25, 2021 |
It seems key to Attorney Deborah Knott's identity that when she gets fed up with the abuses of racist judges she chooses to run for the office rather than support the qualified black man who is already in the race. And if it weren't for the fallout of her investigation on behalf of the girl she once babysat she might have a better chance. None of the men who is interested in her can attach her feelings, though women don't seem to interest her. The rare southern novel without a chorus of heat and sweat. ( )
  quondame | Jul 11, 2021 |
Thoroughly enjoyable, Deborah Knott is indeed the daughter of a (former) bootlegger and has six older brothers, so you bet, she's a tough one. Works in the 'family' law-firm (cousins) and has decided to run for a district judgeship when all hell breaks loose. Deborah's asked by a young woman for whom she used to babysit to look into, one more time, her mother's murder and reluctantly agrees. Every bit of the work is solid, characters, dialogue, setting and plot. The first three are what I like best in mysteries, so I was happy. I'll be continuing! **** ( )
  sibylline | Jun 9, 2021 |
Soms vertelt een korte novelle veel meer dan een vuistdikke roman die bol staat van de verhalen. Daar in de bergen is hiervan een goed voorbeeld. In nauwelijk zeventig pagina’s weet de franstalige Algerijnse schrijfster Maïssa Bey haarfijn te beschrijven wat de consequenties zijn van de genadeloze koloniale Algerijnse Oorlog die het land tussen 1954 en 1962 volledig in de greep had en hoe vrijwel iedere betrokkenen in zekere zin ook slachtoffer was…lees verder >

Maron, Margaretprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chase, AlTypesettersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walotsky, RonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

To Carl Jackson and Sue Stephenson Honeycutt---for friendship and kinship rooted two hundred years in eastern North Carolina's sandy loam
Prologue: Possum Creek trickles out of a swampy waste a little south of Raleigh.
[Partner John Claude Lee looks pained as he noticed the mess Deborah has made of firm's copy of the newspaper]
...(Okay, so I notice nuances, too. But I'm older than Sherry. My generation was raised to notice. Doesn't mean I still react with an automatic 'I'm sorry' or 'Let me take care of whatever's bothering your little ol' manly sense of rightness' the way she does.) (chapter 7)
(Don't ask me how Daddy knows that [some gossip about Gray Hooks and his father]. He just does. But then he's always kept tabs on everything that goes on around his part of the county. He may not've ever studied Francis Bacon, but he sure does subscribe to Bacon's tenet that knowledge is power. (chapter 7)
[Deborah, telling readers about the kind of woman her mother had been]
Nine times out of ten, a good woman does exactly what her family and society expect of her.

That tenth time? Better stand back out of her way.

She'll burn down her world just for the hell of it, or risk everything she's worked a lifetime for on pure-out whimsy. (chapter 13)

Hachette Book Group

2 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 0446403237, 0892964456

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,359,995 books! | Top bar: Always visible