Sex & Love &

by Bob Hicok

15None1,377,955 (4.38)None
"The most potent ingredient in virtually every one of Bob Hicok's compact, well-turned poems is a laughter as old as humanity itself."--The New York Times Book Review "Hicok's poems are like boomerangs; they jut out in wild, associative directions, yet find their way back to the root of the matter, often in sincere and heartbreaking ways."--Publishers Weekly InSex & Love &, Bob Hicok attempts the impossible task of confronting love and its consequences, in which "everything is allowed, minus forever." Switching gracefully between witty confessions and blunt confrontations, Hicok muses on age, distance, secret messages, and, of course, sex. Throughout, poetry is discovered to be among our most effective tools to examine the delirium of making contact. "Hot": The sexiest thing a woman has ever done to or with or for me--while wearing the loose breeze of a dress or standing inside its red zero on the floor-- while bending over and pulling her shorts down on a racquetball court or to reach the water shutoff valve behind the fridge--as Satie whispers against our thighs or humming her brain's native tune as we touch the smudged glass protecting extinct beetles in a museum--with her lips swaddling my tongue or finger up my ass--is tell the truth-- which makes my wife the hottest woman I've ever known--her mouth erotic every time she speaks--she is an animal when it comes to sex and love--comes to us--in that she doesn't primp in front of the mirror of what she thinks I want her to say or be--the only real flesh--only naked that matters--how she looks at me Bob Hicok's poems have appeared in the New Yorker,Poetry, and theAmerican Poetry Review. His books have been awarded the Bobbitt Prize from the Library of Congress and named a "Notable Book of the Year" byBooklist. Hicok has worked as an automotive die designer and a computer system administrator. He is currently teaching at Purdue University.… (more)

No reviews

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,387,368 books! | Top bar: Always visible