The birth of the United States

by Jim Bishop

351612,732 (3)4
Recounts the events of the four days before the Second Continental Congress adopted the Declaration of Independence and discusses the ideas and feelings of the delegates.

I enjoyed this book quite a bit, although the sub-title, "What happened during the first four days of July, 1776," is somewhat misleading. I was hoping for a really in-depth look at the doings of those days. There is, indeed, a description, and an interesting one, of what happened within the Continental Congress during those four days, and a fascinating account of how the whole Congress pitched in to edit Jefferson's original draft of the Declaration of Independence while Jefferson sat and squirmed. However, a lot of the book is taken up instead with background about the events leading up to the decision to finally declare independence once and for all. I suppose it's a sound decision to do so, but, as I said, it led to a bit of disappointment for me, as I've been reading a lot about the American Revolution lately and knew most of the material. Nevertheless, the descriptions of the fight at Lexington and Concord and, especially, the Battle of Bunker Hill were very good.

So, as I said, overall I enjoyed the book. It's just mislabeled a bit. ( )
  rocketjk | Jan 28, 2008 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,118,170 books! | Top bar: Always visible