We Found a Hat by Jon Klassen

We Found a Hat

by Jon Klassen

Series: My Hat (3)

Two turtles find a hat that looks good on both of them, but, with fairness in mind, they decide to leave it be, until night falls and one of the turtles changes its mind.

Two turtles have found a hat. The hat looks good on both of them. But there are two turtles. And there is only one hat.
  wichitafriendsschool | Nov 28, 2019 |
This is the concluding book in the "Hat" trilogy. In a stunningly beautiful desert landscape, two turtles come across a hat. Both want the hat, they try it on and though they say they look good, they in fact look silly. In a mature decision, they decide to leave the hat. But of course one turtle waits until the other is asleep to get the hat. A great book for predicting with students, it is also a great book to facilitate discussions about problem solving. ( )
  BethBE | Jul 16, 2019 |
I love this book, but in some ways I'm not sure it works as a children's book. My toddler seems to like it, and maybe even seems to get the basic gist of what's going on, but what's great about it is how little is explicitly said. Almost all the narrative work is done by the (very simple) drawings, and the emotional clues we pick up by following a character's line of sight. It's quite complex in that way, despite superficially seeming incredibly simple.

Anyway, I don't usually review my kid's books, but this one really strikes me as something special. It's beautiful and subtle and strange in all the right ways. ( )
  amydross | Jun 25, 2019 |
Out of all of Jon Klassen's hat books, this is the only one that does not end with someone being greedy and stealing a hat. These 2 turtles stumble upon a hat that they both like but there is only one so they agree that neither of them can have it. But one turtle really wants that hat and you can see in its eyes that he wants to go back for that hat while the other turtle is not looking. In the end, he ends up not being selfish and dreams that they both have their own hats. This would be a great book to read to kids to teach them about friendship and what to do when you want something. Great overall, but it does stand out from the other hat books because the humor of anger and deception is not these, and I think that is a big factor in what makes these books so comical. ( )
  oleger | Mar 23, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,626,499 books! | Top bar: Always visible