The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate…

The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1) (original 1999; edition 2003)

by Lemony Snicket (Author), Brett Helquist (Illustrator)

After the sudden death of their parents, the three Baudelaire children must depend on each other and their wits when it turns out that the distant relative who is appointed their guardian is determined to use any means necessary to get their fortune.
Member:imlee
Title:The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)
Authors:Lemony Snicket (Author)
Other authors:Brett Helquist (Illustrator)
Info:Egmont Books Ltd (2003), Edition: New edition, 180 pages
Collections:Your library, Physical, Audiobooks
Tags:lee-unread, im-read

The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket (Author) (1999)

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (FFortuna)
    The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart (sarah-e)
    sarah-e: Talented, intelligent kids on the trail of a bad guy.
    The Willoughbys by Lois Lowry (jbarry)
    jbarry: old-timey fun
    The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood (_Zoe_)
    The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Zorgamazoo by Robert Paul Weston (FFortuna)
    School of Fear by Gitty Daneshvari (kaledrina)
    Ottoline and the Yellow Cat by Chris Riddell (kaledrina)
    The Outcasts of 19 Schuyler Place by E. L. Konigsburg (jbarry)
    jbarry: Smart and mature kids solve big problems.
    The Palace of Laughter by Jon Berkeley (FFortuna)
    The Robe of Skulls by Vivian French (asphyxiad0ll)
    The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan Aiken (amanda4242)
    Whales on Stilts! by M. T. Anderson (kaledrina)
    The Death (and Further Adventures) of Silas Winterbottom: The Body Thief by Stephen M. Giles (kaledrina)
    Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi (jonathankws)
    jonathankws: With a subversive author and a series of unfortunate events happening to the naughty Pinocchio, this fairy tale is very similar in style to the Unfortunate Events series. Hunt down the New York Review Books edition!
    Werewolf Versus Dragon by The Beastly Boys (FFortuna)
    A Whole Nother Story by Dr. Cuthbert Soup (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: If you enjoy this brand of humor, give this book a try.
    Peter Pan in Scarlet by Geraldine McCaughrean (d_perlo)
    The Fall of Fergal: The First Unlikely Exploit (Unlikely Exploits) by Philip Ardagh (infiniteletters)
    Starcross: A Stirring Adventure of Spies, Time Travel and Curious Hats by Philip Reeve (themulhern)
    themulhern: Cleverness, fourth wall breaking, good illustrations.

English (422)  French (3)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (431)
I’m in the middle of a massive reading slump rn and it’s the worst. Nothing can keep my attention for long enough, and everything just feels wrong. Naturally, I decided to start a 13 book series...

I’ve seen the Netflix tv-show (loved it, btw), and the series is adapted pretty closely to the text, so the material feels familiar. I love the style, and when the book is funny it’s really funny, but it has plenty of devastating moments too. This duality kind of reminds me of one of my all time favorite animations – Paranorman: wholesome, hilarious, and at times really sad. ( )
  tetiana.90 | Sep 11, 2020 |

Snicket, LemonyAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Beatrice—darling, dearest, dead.
If you are interested in stories with happy endings, you would be better off reading some other book.
The children looked from the well-scrubbed house of Justice Strauss to the dilapidated one next door. The bricks were stained with soot and grime. There were only two small windows, which were closed with the shades drawn even though it was a nice day. Rising about the windows was a tall and dirty tower that tilted slightly to the left. The front door needed to be repainted, and carved in the middle of it was an image of an eye. The entire building sagged to the side, like a crooked tooth.
A good, long session of weeping can often make you feel better, even if your circumstances have not changed one bit.
If you have ever lost someone very important to you, then you already know how it feels, and if you haven't, you cannot possibly imagine it.
I don't know if you've ever noticed this, but first impressions are often entirely wrong. You can look at a painting for the first time, for example, and not like it at all, but after looking at it a little longer you may find it very pleasing. The first time you try Gorgonzola cheese you may find it too strong, but when you are older you may want to eat nothing but Gorgonzola cheese. Klaus, when Sunny was born, did not like her at all, but by the time she was six weeks old the two of them were thick as thieves. Your initial opinion on just about anything may change over time.

When the three Baudelaire children find out about their parent's death they are forced to live with a distant relative, Count Olaf. The witty and intelligent children live miserably with Olaf but have a few tricks up their sleeves. Growing up, I absolutely loved this series. My love began once my elementary teacher started to read it during class time. It's a tradition that I might want to keep up when I'm in my own classroom.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,616,745 books! | Top bar: Always visible