Flush by Carl Hiaasen

Authors:Carl Hiaasen (Author)
Info:Yearling (2010), Edition: Reprint, 288 pages
Rating:***

Flush by Carl Hiaasen

English (93)  French (1)  All languages (94)
This book is very well put together and talks about how one young man wants to prove that his father is not crazy. He learns in this story that it is not just his father that wants to right wrongs done in society, but also him and his grandfather. This book talks about the release of raw sewage into the bay by a casino boat and how it causes health and safety concerns. This book puts together interesting characters and plot that keeps the audience asking for more. ( )
  Mlfjeld | Feb 15, 2019 |
I enjoy adolescent fiction by authors such as Karen Karbo and Kate Milford. I’ve also enjoyed Hiaasen’s “Bad Monkey” and “Razor Girl” so thought I would give “Flush” a try. Unfortunately, it failed to capture my interest. After investing a reasonable amount of time and effort I evoked the Pearl Rule. ( )
  Tatoosh | Nov 5, 2018 |
This was actually a really good book. The plot didn't feel like it had been "dumbed down" for kids, which I like, and the characters were quirky and easy to like (or hate as the situation demanded :P). The "bad guys" were a little bit cliche, but that almost just seemed to add to the larger than life charm of the story, to be honest. And the twist ending was perfect! I really enjoyed it :) ( )
  fogisbeautiful | Feb 13, 2018 |
Entertaining, but not as good as some of his other titles. ( )
  CarynPic | Nov 14, 2017 |
Flush is a really interesting book. It's very environmental. By that I mean that the whole point of this story is to save the environment. Noah's dad decided to sink a casino boat that was dumping their sewage into the ocean. Noah's dad gets put into jail for this act. Noah must now fight to prove that his dad was right and that this particular boat is dumping sewage into the ocean. Noah is very resourceful but hits many dead ends as well. He doesn't give up and with the help of his sister Abby, they manage to prove that their dad was right. They get the casino boat shut down and the ocean cleaned up for good. The author writes in a very clear, honest, and direct manner. I really like his style of writing. It's easy to read and believable. It seems like this really could happen. The character are quirky, interesting, and tenacious. They don't give up on something they believe in. They believe in a safe, healthy, and clean environment. They are willing to fight for this right for the humans and animals that live there. I think this book will inspire kids to think more about the environment. It will make them more aware of the trash around where they live as well. It could open their eyes to how they could help the environment too. In this book, it's the boy Noah that ends up saving the day so kids can imagine that they can also do something to help protect our beautiful planet.
  TracyMahoni | Oct 22, 2017 |
The deputy told me to empty my pockets: two quarters, a penny, a stick of bubble gum, and a roll of grip tape for my skateboard. It was pitiful. "Go on inside. He's waiting for you," the deputy said.

Bestselling novelist Carl Hiaasen is back with another hysterical mystery adventure for young readers, set in the Florida Keys.

You know it's going to be a rough summer when you spend Father's Day visiting your dad in the local lockup.

Noah's dad is sure that the owner of the Coral Queen casino boat is flushing raw sewage into the harbor–which has made taking a dip at the local beach like swimming in a toilet. He can't prove it though, and so he decides that sinking the boat will make an effective statement. Right. The boat is pumped out and back in business within days and Noah's dad is stuck in the clink.

Now Noah is determined to succeed where his dad failed. He will prove that the Coral Queen is dumping illegally . . . somehow. His allies may not add up to much–his sister Abbey, an unreformed childhood biter; Lice Peeking, a greedy sot with poor hygiene; Shelly, a bartender and a woman scorned; and a mysterious pirate–but Noah's got a plan to flush this crook out into the open. A plan that should sink the crooked little casino, once and for all.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:32 -0400)

With their father jailed for sinking a river boat, Noah Underwood and his younger sister, Abbey, must gather evidence that the owner of this floating casino is emptying his bilge tanks into the protected waters around their Florida Keys home.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,534,655 books! | Top bar: Always visible