The Girl Who Drank the Moon by Kelly…

The Girl Who Drank the Moon (2016)

by Kelly Barnhill

Recently added byTinkermouse, private library, SierraFreeze, ya_literature, Roxanne_Reading, cecejess

Beautifully written, and deeply imagined. Just a little too depressing for me. ( )
  Inky_Fingers | Mar 3, 2019 |
I'd been meaning to read some Kelly Barnhill stuff for a while, and I'm so glad I did. This book already feels like a well-established classic, and deals with sorrow and hope in such a beautiful way. A charming book. ( )
  cavernism | Jan 11, 2019 |
A deeply realized magical world with a cast of fairytale-like characters who each have a little self-aware twist that encourages readers to reconsider tropes of the genre (the 'evil' witch is good, the 'protectorate' is bad, etc). I loved the world so much, & the writing style reminded me (in the very best way) of Diana Wynne Jones. Sometimes the exposition veered to the overly obscure (Xan's history) or repetitive (she is here she is here), but never so much that I lost my sense of wonder. ( )
  epaulettes | Jan 3, 2019 |
I really enjoyed this YA fantasy/fairy tale. It's a good coming-of-age for our main character, Luna, adopted by a good witch living in a forest with a tiny dragon and a large swamp monster. It's a mystery that is slowly unraveled as you learn, along with the characters, how the current sorrowful status of the Protectorate came to be, and how all the characters are connected to that story. It's also so much about courage and hope and love, and how love multiplies. Beautiful. I expect I'll be gifting this book to some young friends of mine. ( )
  chavala | Dec 29, 2018 |
This story really appealed to my sci-fi interests. There were witches, magical forests, human sacrifices and magic. This story takes you through the events of the forest people who sacrificed babies in order to keep the witch at bay. In a turn of events, that baby was saved. That child is raised and as she grows old now has to return the favor to the woman that saved her. ( )
  enemory | Nov 26, 2018 |
For Ted, with love.
Yes. There is a witch in the woods.
There was a time when her feet fit neatly on the curve of the earth ... (p. 127-128)
"'Patience has no wing,'" Glerk recited as she walked. / Patience does not run / Nor blow, nor skitter, nor falter. / Patience is the swell of the ocean; / Patience is the sigh of the mountain; / Patience is the shirr of the Bog; / Patience is the chorus of stars, / Infinitely singing.'" (p. 135-136)

"An epic fantasy about a young girl raised by a witch, a swamp monster, and a Perfectly Tiny Dragon, who must unlock the powerful magic buried deep inside her. Every year, the people of the Protectorate leave a baby as an offering to the witch who lives in the forest. They hope this sacrifice will keep her from terrorizing their town. But the witch in the forest, Xan, is kind and gentle. She shares her home with a wise Swamp Monster named Glerk and a Perfectly Tiny Dragon, Fyrian. Xan rescues the abandoned children and delivers them to welcoming families on the other side of the forest, nourishing the babies with starlight on the journey. One year, Xan accidentally feeds a baby moonlight instead of starlight, filling the ordinary child with extraordinary magic. Xan decides she must raise this enmagicked girl, whom she calls Luna, as her own. To keep young Luna safe from her own unwieldy power, Xan locks her magic deep inside her. When Luna approaches her thirteenth birthday, her magic begins to emerge on schedule--but Xan is far away. Meanwhile, a young man from the Protectorate is determined to free his people by killing the witch. Soon, it is up to Luna to protect those who have protected her--even if it means the end of the loving, safe world she's always known. The acclaimed author of The Witch's Boy has created another epic coming-of-age fairy tale destined to become a modern classic"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Kelly Barnhill's book The Girl Who Drank the Moon was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,348,977 books! | Top bar: Always visible