East of West Volume 5: All These Secrets

by Jonathan Hickman, Nick Dragotta (Illustrator)

Series: East of West (collects 20-24)

The fifth volume of EAST of WEST marks the last days of peace before thefinal great war of the Apocalypse.

Series Info/Source: This is the fifth volume in the East of West series. There are ten books total in this series. I borrowed this book from my library.

Story (4/5): In this volume we see more of the alliance formed between the Nation and The PRA. We find out Doma’s true allegiance may be more complicated than expected. An assasination attempt fails on Xiaolian (the head of the House of Mao and Death’s wife). Additionally, three of the horsemen of the apocalypse undergo transformation and the Chosen are summoned to convene.

Characters (4/5): I enjoyed learning more about Doma’s background. I also enjoyed seeing Xiaolian more and seeing the scenes between her and Death. The characters in this series are very distinctive, if not all that likable at times. There continues to be a lot of jumping around between characters which prevents you from really engaging with them.

Setting (4/5): I love the idea behind this and the world-building here is really well done. We continue to jump around between different locations a lot; sometimes it’s noted and sometimes it’s not.

Writing/Drawing Style (4/5): Illustration is well done and I enjoy all the detail and color. I am still struggling a bit with the constant jumping around. Although the background provided in the 4th volume did a lot to help me get a better grip on this world. This was the first volume with some nudity in it; only noted because my thirteen year old son has been reading these, they are rated teen+. Apparently full frontal female nudity is okay in teen+.

My Summary (4/5): Overall I am still enjoying this series. I really love the world and enjoy Death, Xiaolian, and Doma. The issue of the constant jumping around and jerky story progression still remains. However, I borrow these for free from the library and enjoy them enough that I plan on continuing the series. ( )
  krau0098 | Dec 3, 2020 |
Various characters' true (or second) allegiances are revealed. The politics remind me a little of Lazarus (a superior comic). Meanwhile Death sets off to find his son again. ( )
  questbird | Jun 13, 2017 |

Jonathan Hickmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dragotta, NickIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

East of West (collects 20-24)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,210,980 books! | Top bar: Always visible