No title

"Is high-quality sleep the missing component to help you shed fat for good, stave off diseases, and keep you productive? In Sleep Smarter, Shawn Stevenson, host of the popular podcast, The Model Health Show, answers these and many other sleep-related questions.As a teenager, Stevenson was diagnosed with a degenerative bone disease. He gave up on his health and his body, until he decided to fight back.Through years of research and consulting health experts, Stevenson discovered there is one criminally overlooked aspect of health: sleep.Through better sleep, Stevenson was able to achieve fitness and business goals he never thought possible, and now he shares his sleep secrets with the world. The book includes a 14-day plan with tips and tricks like the exact time of day to exercise for better sleep quality, what to wear to avoid waking up at night, and ways to fall asleep faster. Sleep Smarter is the ultimate guide to sleeping better, feeling refreshed, and achieving a healthier, happier life"--… (more)
Member:
Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

Work Information

Sleep Smarter: 21 Essential Strategies to Sleep Your Way to A Better Body, Better Health, and Bigger Success by Shawn Stevenson

Great read if you sort out the pseudo science and infomercial style that the writing can take.
I learned a lot about sleep and was given concrete and actionable advice on how to improve it. My rating will be a "highly recommended, but" ( )
  DavidSchor | Jan 5, 2022 |
The lack of footnotes in this book is troubling to me. It makes a lot of big claims and the references aren't directly connected to them. If I see a phrase like "studies have shown", I want to know exactly what study and be able to access it immediately. I don't want to have to go through every reference in the bibliography and cross-check it against every claim in the book. A few of the things here sound really pseudoscientific to me (like the EMF section) and the substandard way the sources are organized is a HUGE red flag to me.

The writing is fine, and some of the tips are clearly practical. My low rating is based on the points I discussed above. ( )
  widdersyns | Jul 19, 2020 |
This book is an extremely helpful combination of science and common sense. If you're looking for practical, highly actionable advice on how to sleep better, read this book now. Making just one of the changes the author suggests (going screen free at least an hour and a half before bedtime) made an immediately noticeable difference in the quality and quantity of my sleep the first night I put it into practice. The same was true for the next thing I put into practice, cutting off caffeine intake by 2:00 pm. This from a person who has had problems with insomnia and sleep quality for her entire life. (Ask my mom- I was That Baby.)

I'm not 100% in sync with all of the suggestions made in this book and I know that some might be offended by the frequent references to evolution. But I highly recommend that you read the book and ignore the bits you don't care for; there's enough solid information in it to make it worth your time.

On a side note, I don't understand the complaints about the author referring to scientific studies without giving specifics; he referenced at least three dozen studies, papers, and published articles by name and that was my very casual count while reading over several days. Don't go into a book like this looking for the same writing style you'd find in The New England Journal of Medicine and then leave a bad review because you didn't get what you were looking for. ( )
  tiasreads | Dec 11, 2019 |
This is the single best book I've read about the science of getting some sweet sleep. I was impressed with the depth of the research the author brought to the table here. I keep up with the latest health research via a number of blogs, and this had pretty much everything that I had read there, and a few minor tips besides. The tone of the book is good, too -- his style is entertaining and highly readable. The only possible downside is that I think he goes out on a limb a bit with a couple of things (particularly "earthing" -- the idea is interesting, it might help, but the overall effects are still up in the air as far as most science is concerned at this point). That said, there's nothing here that's likely to hurt, and all sorts of great ideas that will improve your sleep and your health. I'm pretty sure this is the best health-related book I've read in the last year. Definitely recommended. ( )
  caimanjosh | May 22, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,940,155 books! | Top bar: Always visible