Lord Foul's Bane (The Chronicles of Thomas…

Lord Foul's Bane (The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, Book… (original 1977; edition 1987)

by Stephen R. Donaldson

He called himself Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever because he dared not believe in the strange alternate world in which he suddenly found himself. Yet he was tempted to believe, to fight for the Land, to be the reincarnation of its greatest hero...
Member:Corinos
Title:Lord Foul's Bane (The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, Book 1)
Authors:Stephen R. Donaldson
Info:Del Rey (1987), Mass Market Paperback, 496 pages
Rating:***

Work Information

Lord Foul's Bane by Stephen R. Donaldson (1977)

English (73)  French (4)  All languages (77)
DNF - the desire to be Tolkein hangs over it like a wet cloud. the premise interesting and I can power through a bit of pretentiousness with the best of them but the rape of the sixteen year old just had me tapping out. There are better books on my TBR than suffering through all of this. ( )
  ashelocke | Nov 21, 2021 |
MEH. I am happy that Frodo and the gang are going to Mt. Doom to get rid of the one ring. Oh, wait. That is another book. This book is really like that book but with more jerks and raping. There is a really cool giant named Foam Follower. That is who the book should have been about. Because of him I am giving it three stars instead of one. ( )
  Drunken-Otter | Aug 20, 2021 |
So, as a high fantasy novel, this one was up there. It had a rich world with interesting characters and unique creatures. They had their own customs and belief. There was a small, but not overwhelming presence of magic and the fantastical that made the world feel so real and down to earth. Even the MC's lack of belief that the world he was in really gave this book a nice atmosphere and made it so immersive. And the leprosy was a unique aspect.

But, that same quality about Covenant was also what made me give this book three stars. In his constant disbelief that the world around him was real, he became more of the anti-hero as he did not believe there would be any consequence for his actions. He even raped a sixteen-year-old girl who had done nothing but try and help him since he arrived in the world, then figured it was okay because no one came after him. Sure, he felt guilty and it stayed with him throughout the book, but after that, I can't see Thomas in a good light anymore. Nor can I give this book a better rating, even ifI did start to enjoy myself later on, after I pushed the event to the back of my mind. ( )
  afrozenbookparadise | Apr 22, 2021 |
A man finds out that he has leprosy and then proceeds to act completely selfishly and horridly self-centeredly across two worlds and throughout the remainder of the novel. The main character has absolutely no redeeming qualities at all, and the story reads like bad D&D fic gone completely off the rails. The only way this book could hold any interest at all to me is if it's read as happening wholly in the MC's mind, and even then I don't think I can muster up enough bother to care. How this is considered a keystone of fantasy lit, I have absolutely no idea. ( )
  electrascaife | Mar 2, 2021 |
I know that I tried to read this book in my teens; I am not sure that I ever managed to finish it. ( )
  resoundingjoy | Jan 1, 2021 |

Donaldson, Stephen R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Herring, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tate, Janice C.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyeth, S. C.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Something there is in beauty
For James R. Donaldson, M.D., whose life expressed compassion and commitment more eloquently than any words
She came out of the store just in time to see her young son playing on the sidewalk directly in the path of the gray, gaunt man who strode down the center of the walk like a mechanical derelict.
A real man - real in all the ways that we recognise as real - finds himself suddenly abstracted from the world and deposited in a physical situation which could not possibly exist~: sounds have aroma, smells have colour and depth, sights have texture, touches have pitch and timbre. There he is informed by a disembodied voice that he has been brought to that place as a champion for his world. He must fight to the death in single combat against a champion from another world. If he is defeated, he will die, and his world – the real world – will be destroyed because it lacks the inner strength to survive.
The man refuses to believe that what he is told is true. He asserts that he is either dreaming or hallucinating, and declines to be put in the false position of fighting to the death where no ‘real’ danger exists. He is implacable in his determination to disbelieve his apparent situation, and does not defend himself when he is attacked by the champion of the other world.
Question: Is the man’s behaviour courageous or cowardly? This is the fundamental question of ethics.

He could not bear the alternative. If he were dreaming, he might still be able to save his sanity, survive, endure. But if the Land were real, actual – ah, then the long anguish of his leprosy was a dream, and he was mad already, beyond hope

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,145,060 books! | Top bar: Always visible