The Book of Air and Shadows by Michael…

The Book of Air and Shadows (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Michael Gruber

Member:sjkelk
Title:The Book of Air and Shadows
Authors:Michael Gruber
Info:William Morrow (2007), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 480 pages

The Book of Air and Shadows by Michael Gruber (2007)

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (nicchic)
    Interred with Their Bones by Jennifer Lee Carrell (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: A similar literary thriller plot - a young woman unravels a puzzle that may lead to the whereabouts of a lost Shakespeare manuscript, but she's also being chased by a killer who is murdering Shakespeare scholars and staging them to resemble his plays. I preferred Interred with Their Bones as I found the characters significantly more likeable.… (more)
    Possession by A. S. Byatt (Imprinted)
    The Egyptologist by Arthur Phillips (Bookmarque)
    Bookmarque: Another multi-POV, multi-narrator mystery.
    People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks (starfishian)
    Codex by Lev Grossman (Jannes)
    Jannes: Mysterious manuscripts, bookish femme fatales, old libraries... if you liked one, you'll probably enjoy the other.
    Gospel by Wilton Barnhardt (BobNolin)
    BobNolin: Gospel was a lot more fun to read, but the two are very similar. There is an ancient text interwoven into the current day story (Gruber does the better job of faking an ancient text, in my opinion). There is a hunt for said manuscript. And the finding of it will change recorded history. Great stuff.… (more)
    The Intelligencer by Leslie Silbert (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: The Intelligencer is a literary thriller that traces playwright Christopher Marlowe gathering intelligence for Elizabeth I as well as a modern day scholar and PI who is investigating a manuscript that may shed light on Marlowe's untimely demise.

English (91)  Tagalog (1)  German (1)  All (93)
For me it is difficult to give an opinion on this book. In the sense that I find it hard to find the right words to explain why I didn't particularly like this book.

I expected more of a thriller, less chaos. The person(s) talking were not clear to me all the time, the interruptions of the plot by the old text was okay in the beginning, but as the book went on, they beat me off the track of the book itself and I had a hard time figuring out who was who and who did what.
Combine that with flash forwards from time to time and here are the reasons why I was disappointed and why I didn't like it very much.

It has resided on my shelf for many years. I picked it up several times but never actually started reading untill now. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Mar 16, 2018 |
Could not finish this one, despite an interesting premise; characters not resonant with me and three parallel POVs/plots diminished any engagement I had with the book. ( )
  SESchend | Sep 6, 2017 |
One of the worst books I've ever read in my entire life! Premise is ok, but its squandered with unlikable and oversexed characters and a style of writing that is obsessed with its own meta textual pop-culture hipness. ( )
  Humberto.Ferre | Sep 28, 2016 |
A tale of deceit, fraud, love and infidelity as a motley crew of characters chase what may be undiscovered play of Shakespeare.

The audiobook is well narrated. Stephen Hoye adds just a slight variation to each character to help you tell them apart. ( )
  dougcornelius | Aug 31, 2016 |
really did not like this,found the characters completely unlikable.didn't care if they lived or died ( )
  KarenDuff | Jun 1, 2016 |
Our Revels now are ended: These our actors
(As I foretold you) were all Spirits, and
Are melted into Ayre, into thin Ayre,
And like the baselesse fabricke of this vision
The Cloud-capt Towres, the gorgeous Pallaces,
The solmne Temples, the great Globe it selfe,
Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve,
And like this insubstantial Pageant faded
Leave not a racke behinde: we are such stuffe
As dreames are made on; and our little life
Is rounded with a sleepe ,,,

- WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE
The Tempest, act IV, scene i
The First Folio, 1623
For E.W.N.

A fire destroys a New York City rare bookstore—and reveals clues to a treasure worth killing for. . . . A disgraced scholar is found tortured to death. . . . And those pursuing the most valuable literary find in history are about to cross from the harmless mundane into inescapable nightmare.

From the acclaimed, bestselling author of Tropic of Night comes a breathtaking thriller that twists, shocks, and surprises at every turn as it crisscrosses centuries, from the glaring violence of today into the dark shadows of truth and lies surrounding the greatest writer the world has ever known.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:02 -0400)

A distinguished Shakespearean scholar found tortured to death ... A lost manuscript and its secrets buried for centuries ... An encrypted map that leads to incalculable wealth ... Tap-tapping the keys and out come the words on this little screen, and who will read them I hardly know. I could be dead by the time anyone actually gets to read them, as dead as, say, Tolstoy. Or Shakespeare. Does it matter, when you read, if the person who wrote still lives? These are the words of Jake Mishkin, whose seemingly innocent job as an intellectual property lawyer has put him at the center of a deadly conspiracy and a chase to find a priceless treasure involving William Shakespeare ...… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,540,082 books! | Top bar: Always visible