Our Dark Duet (Monsters of Verity): 1 by V.…

Our Dark Duet (Monsters of Verity): 1 (original 2017; edition 2017)

by V. E. Schwab (Author)

Series: Monsters of Verity (2)

A New York Times bestseller The bestselling sequel--and conclusion--to Victoria Schwab's instant #1 New York Times bestseller This Savage Song. Kate Harker is a girl who isn't afraid of the dark. She's a girl who hunts monsters. And she's good at it. August Flynn is a monster who can never be human. No matter how much he once yearned for it. He has a part to play. And he will play it, no matter the cost. Nearly six months after Kate and August were first thrown together, the war between the monsters and the humans is a terrifying reality. In Verity, August has become the leader he never wished to be, and in Prosperity, Kate has become the ruthless hunter she knew she could be. When a new monster emerges from the shadows--one who feeds on chaos and brings out its victim's inner demons--it lures Kate home, where she finds more than she bargained for. She'll face a monster she thought she killed, a boy she thought she knew, and a demon all her own. A gorgeously written dark fantasy from New York Times-bestselling author Victoria Schwab, and one to hand to fans of Holly Black, Laini Taylor, and Maggie Stiefvater. "Explosive."--Brightly… (more)
Member:chloefischer_
Title:Our Dark Duet (Monsters of Verity): 1
Authors:V. E. Schwab (Author)
Info:Titan Books Ltd (2017), Edition: 01, 400 pages

Work Information

Our Dark Duet by Victoria Schwab (2017)

Rating: 4.5/5 Stars
Title: Our Dark Duet
Author: Victoria Schwab

Synopsis:
Kate Harker is a girl who isn’t afraid of the dark. She’s a girl who hunts monsters. And she’s good at it. August Flynn is a monster who can never be human. No matter how much he once yearned for it. He has a part to play. And he will play it, no matter the cost.
Nearly six months after Kate and August were first thrown together, the war between the monsters and the humans is a terrifying reality. In Verity, August has become the leader he never wished to be, and in Prosperity, Kate has become the ruthless hunter she knew she could be. When a new monster emerges from the shadows—one who feeds on chaos and brings out its victim’s inner demons—it lures Kate home, where she finds more than she bargained for. She’ll face a monster she thought she killed, a boy she thought she knew, and a demon all her own.
Initial thoughts:
After reading the first book in this series, I hurried and picked up a copy of the second book. I was really excited to see how Verity was going to hold up after everything that had happened and the cliffhanger that was left at the end of book 1. I was also very excited to see how the characters had changed after six months. The cover of the book is stunning (I love both the US and UK versions so of course I had to get a copy of both). Again this series really pulled me because of the author as well as the concept and now the concept had changed to the monsters within our own heads and I loved the change.

Plot:
What I liked:
The characters were really dynamic and there was a lot of action throughout the entire book. I really liked how every time the new monster (the Chaos Eater) came into play, the style of writing changed to that of a free verse poem. The execution of the work was well played and worked hand in hand with what we had learned in the previous book. I still love the dynamic between Kate and August, and the questions that came along with them. The instruments were weapons and that was so cool, but it made me wonder how much more difficult it would be to actually play them after battling monsters all day.

What I didn't like:
Something that I wish Victoria would have done with this book was explain more about the actual phenomena that caused monsters to be created in Verity and not in other regions of the world. I also found myself rereading the same phrases over and over again. I feel like this was done for a stylistic effect, but it still had me feeling as though I had read the lines more than once.

Characters:
Kate Harker: Still a kick butt girl who has a very strong will and was able to fight back against her own human urges to keep moving.
August Flynn: This kid needed a break, but never wanted to take one. He was very conflicted through the entire book until Kate showed up.
Ilsa Flynn: I love her to death and I just wanted to see her happy throughout the entire book after everything that happened from the last book.
Soro Flynn: They made me want to cosplay them so badly. Seriously I am getting my flute together and I am going to do this. But in all seriousness, I really enjoyed Soro’s character. They were a lot like Leo, but they were more willing to listen and work with others.
Alpha Team: Even after being pushed away by August they were very supportive and a good team.
Alice: I loved her. She was a fantastic villain and I thought it was interesting in the way that she worked a lot like Kate, but wasn’t her at the same time.
Sloan: Still thought he was very cunning and calculating much like in the first book. I loved being able to read things more from his POV.

Overall:
I would highly recommend this series to just about everyone who is over the age of 15. It is a little darker for younger audiences and has its fair share of violence and gore in it. I did lower my rating on this book though due to the fact that there were some plot holes from both books that hadn’t been addressed, but if Victoria ever wanted to write a third book for this series focusing on my two favorite Sunai I wouldn’t complain at all. ( )
  klcarmack | Nov 12, 2021 |
I started the two-book series, so I thought I might as well finish it. I stand by my comment in my review for This Savage Song: Schwab has a real knack for creating monsters.

Our Dark Duet picks up a few months after the events of This Savage Song. August has become a soldier for Flynn’s army, taking up his brother’s former position. Kate is living in a new city, still fighting monsters. After an encounter with a completely new type of monster, Kate decides to return to Verity to warn August and the Flynns.

I still liked the monsters that Schwab created, but Kate and August’s relationship still doesn’t draw me in. It’s not badly written or uninteresting. I find that I relate to Schwab’s adult releases better, and that is all just a personal preference. ( )
  CarleyShea | Sep 16, 2021 |
I mentioned in my previous review that This Savage Song was a creepy fun read and hoped the same for this book too. Ohh was I wrong!!! “Fun” is not the right word to describe this book. It’s deep, dark, violent, monstrous, horrifying and gut wrenching. Mind you, this is not a negative review. The writing is brilliant and I have to give a hats off to the author for this amazingly thought out plot. And the characters are just WOW!!!! No other words that I can think of to describe my feelings towards them.

Kate has fled to Prosperity and become a monster hunter. August has become the leader of the task force and given up his pursuit of trying to live in exchange for the protection of everyone who needs him. And there are new monsters in town – Soro is a new Sunai who doesn’t think like August but believes that all sinners deserve their punishment, irrespective of their intent, everything is just black or white; Alice a Malchai is born out of Kate’s sin and is ruthless, baiting and trying to kill August and waiting for the day when she can destroy her maker; and a new shadow monster who feeds on chaos and turns everyone into killing each other. Kate’s encounter with this Chaos Monster forces her to come back to Verity, to August. The book is full of deaths, each side killing the other, monsters and humans fighting each other and themselves and the ultimate fight that everyone is waiting for – Alice vs Kate, August vs Sloan.

I just love Kate and August. She is a warrior through and through and will fight any obstacles to defeat her enemy. August has changed, he is not the shy boy from the first book, he is a leader now, but doesn’t mean he has started to enjoy the reaping. Finally when they both meet, I realized why they should be together. Because he makes Kate think of someone other than herself, and she makes August think of himself rather than all of South City. They bring out the best of each other and I just love the implicit trust and friendship that they share. They are the pillars of this book and the character development through just two books is astounding. The ending is bittersweet, heartbreaking but still hopeful. The monsters still linger, but hopefully they can be defeated. ( )
  ksahitya1987 | Aug 20, 2021 |
teen fiction/fantasy good-vs-evil (parental note: this contains tons of violence but no swearing and not much kissing/making out). The follow-up (and final book) to This Savage Song, most of which I'd forgotten by the time this one came out, so it took me half the book or so to get back into the story (or perhaps it took that long for the story to re-establish itself, since not a whole lot was happening in terms of propelling the conflict/resolution forward). Definitely read the first one first before picking up the conclusion.
I did enjoy this, especially the new addition of "Soro" (even if they are a monster in human form, the treatment of Soro's ambiguous gender is perfectly respectful and exemplary), and I remain a big fan of Victoria Schwab (and V.E. Schwab) for her ability to bring out the best and the worst in her characters, but this one was not my favorite. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |

I tried to read it on my Kindle but every time I did, I fall asleep. So I decided to download the audiobook. I was able to finish it, but I still didn't see what the hype was about.

I really tried to like this book but it just wasn't for me.

blithelii_ | May 29, 2021 |
He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster ... if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE

Hell is empty
All the devils are here.
WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE, THE TEMPEST
To those lost inside themselves.
Out in the Waste stood a home, abandoned.

A new monster's in
town, getting inside people's
heads, making them kill.
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,447,458 books! | Top bar: Always visible