Our Dark Duet (Monsters of Verity, 2) by…

Our Dark Duet (Monsters of Verity, 2) (original 2017; edition 2020)

by Victoria Schwab (Author)

Series: Monsters of Verity (2)

A New York Times bestseller The bestselling sequel--and conclusion--to Victoria Schwab's instant #1 New York Times bestseller This Savage Song. Kate Harker is a girl who isn't afraid of the dark. She's a girl who hunts monsters. And she's good at it. August Flynn is a monster who can never be human. No matter how much he once yearned for it. He has a part to play. And he will play it, no matter the cost. Nearly six months after Kate and August were first thrown together, the war between the monsters and the humans is a terrifying reality. In Verity, August has become the leader he never wished to be, and in Prosperity, Kate has become the ruthless hunter she knew she could be. When a new monster emerges from the shadows--one who feeds on chaos and brings out its victim's inner demons--it lures Kate home, where she finds more than she bargained for. She'll face a monster she thought she killed, a boy she thought she knew, and a demon all her own. A gorgeously written dark fantasy from New York Times-bestselling author Victoria Schwab, and one to hand to fans of Holly Black, Laini Taylor, and Maggie Stiefvater. "Explosive."--Brightly… (more)
Member:Ab7gaTl
Title:Our Dark Duet (Monsters of Verity, 2)
Authors:Victoria Schwab (Author)
Info:Greenwillow Books (2020), Edition: Reprint, 544 pages

Work Information

Our Dark Duet by V. E. Schwab (2017)

A great if not perfect sequel in this series (a "bilogy"? "duology"?) with a similar structure as the first book.
It picks up after a length of time wherin Kate is in a new city with a new set of friends but still fighting monsters though she only knows what little combat training she learned in high school P.E. class (which she tends to mention a LOT). August is still in Verity but moving up the ranks of his adoptive father's taskforce, being emo about how emo but also how not emo he is, and has a new metal-plated violin with a bow that is also a sword??? (where they found a master violin maker that could also defy the laws of what makes a violin actually work isn't part of the story and also magic etc). They still think of each other - because this is Romeo and Juliet with monsters - but without the communication grid between cities, they have nothing but nostalgia to go on. Then things happen as they tend to do which causes a new monster to be formed, who then finds out about a larger food source in Verity via Kate so Kate uses it as an excuse to be a dick to those who gave her things for free and follows the monster because she's strong and brave and true and stubborn to the point of stupidity like all YA heroines. Anyway, more things happen that are exciting and then sad and then maddening and then more sad but also exciting. There's no happy ending here. ( )
  brittaniethekid | Jul 7, 2022 |
After devouring the first book in the duology, I preordered Our Dark Duet without a second thought, and I was not disappointed. Book 2 is just as fast-paced and enthralling as the first, and the ending...you just have to read it for yourself.

Schwab uses wonderfully evocative language that brings out Kate's and August's personalities in an eloquent and believable manner. Her characters are well-rounded and so very flawed, but you want August and Kate to succeed. You root for them from page one. August's character arc especially is bittersweet and at times hard to read because he's changed so drastically from the boy we met before. But it makes sense.

***For fans of dark YA, especially books like Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake.*** ( )
  CatherinePeace | Apr 8, 2022 |
Everything I hoped wouldn't happen did.
The ending was devastating yet suited this book.
The ending makes it something special ( )
  crazynerd | Mar 30, 2022 |
This final book of the 2-book post-apocalyptic series was one that will stay with me forever. I've never read such an interesting perspective on the complicated nature of humans. Good and Evil, Monster and Human, it's not always black and white and this second book really brought that to the forefront. This series dealt with the transformative power of grief and the physical power of hope and I am so glad I read it. It's not lighthearted in the least, and there are definitely some plot/narrative decision that I didn't love...but overall I really enjoyed this book.
  KimZoot | Jan 2, 2022 |
I don't know if the style changed from the first book or I just reached my limit, but the CONSTANT EMOTIONAL INTROSPECTION drove me up the wall and completely stalled any plot progression. I skipped the middle 80% of the audiobook and was able to pick up the last hour or so without feeling like I missed anything important at all. The "resurrection" of a main antagonist from the first book made the story feel stale and repetitive. I appreciated the dark elements but they weren't enough to keep me reading. ( )
  hissingpotatoes | Dec 28, 2021 |
He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster ... if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE

Hell is empty
All the devils are here.
WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE, THE TEMPEST
To those lost inside themselves.
Out in the Waste stood a home, abandoned.

A new monster's in
town, getting inside people's
heads, making them kill.
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,608,281 books! | Top bar: Always visible