Going Home by John Isaac Jones

Going Home (edition 2017)

by John Isaac Jones (Author), John Isaac Jones (Publisher), Tom Zainea (Narrator)

223,593,376 (4.5)None
Member:DabOfDarkness
Title:Going Home
Authors:John Isaac Jones (Author)
Other authors:John Isaac Jones (Publisher), Tom Zainea (Narrator)
Info:John Isaac Jones (2017)
Rating:*****
Tags:literary, historical fiction

Going Home by John Isaac Jones

Recently added byDabOfDarkness, AnnGirdharry

Set in 1961 Alabama, it’s time for Archie to finish out his sentence: death by electrocution. As he’s walked into the room and then strapped down, he really narrows down the things he wishes he still had time for.

Back in Peach Tree, Georgia, he’s got family, friends, favorite places, and Big Betty (a prostitute who he favors). Considering the book’s description, I wasn’t expecting this tale to be, well, so gentle. Archie was once a very questionable person with some anger issues but he doesn’t come off that way now. I do appreciate the author giving us little nuggets of info as to why Archie was on death row and some of the tussles he had been in over the years.

That description of the peach pie was mouth-watering. I really want pie now, but not just any pie. I need pie that someone’s granny made, not store bought pie. Jones has a way with words that elicits these more subtle emotions from the reader.

The ending was a little surprising but fitting. Archie had to pay his dues before he could get to any reward. This is a tale fit for all company and gave me a little chill. So if you like a lunch-time story with a little bite to it, this would be a good fit.

I received a free copy of this book.

The Narration: Tom Zainea was a really good fit for this book. He had the southern dialects down as well as keeping each of the characters distinct. His female voices were believable too. I think he also liked the description of the peach pie because I swear he was also pining for a slice by the end of that little scene. There’s some subtle emotions going on in this story and Zainea did a good job capturing those as well. ( )
  DabOfDarkness | Oct 6, 2017 |
A short, bitter-sweet tale. Archie is bound for his death sentence and is hoping for a last minute reprieve. We see what he wishes for and that which he holds most dear. Is there any hope of salvation? Use of imagery and good sentence construction makes this tale a straightforward read. ( )
  AnnGirdharry | Mar 30, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,161,896 books! | Top bar: Always visible