Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Battle of the Little Bighorn by Mari…

The Battle of the Little Bighorn (1966)

by Mari Sandoz

A classic account of the Battle at Greasy Grass. There are many other studies of this famous fight, and I think one starts here. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Jun 3, 2019 |
Written in 1966, by the noted Western historian Mari Sandoz; thus, rather dated but still compares favorably to more recent works (such as Nathan Philbrick’s The Last Stand). Ms. Sandoz is an evocative writer; the expression “reads like a novel” could well be applied, especially in the descriptions of the gritty and exhausting approach march by the 7th Cavalry. A major difference from Philbrick’s work is Sandoz denies that any of the soldiers were drunk at the battle, while Philbrick suggests Major Marcus Reno consumed most of a bottle of whiskey. I will certainly have to read more of Sandoz’ work; this one is recommended. ( )
3 vote setnahkt | Aug 6, 2018 |
Like any Sandoz book, clear, well-written, and lyric. A recounting of the battle between George Armstrong Custer's small scouting force, and the summer gathering of most of the Plains tribes in existence at the time.

Sandoz, who knew many of the Native American veterans of this battle when she was a child, gives us a clear-eyed view of the many phases of this battle; with insight into both the white and the Indian strategy, thinking, errors, and interpretations. She is remarkably even-handed, with credit given for courage and honor wherever it is due. Her summary chapters are especially interesting, as she walks a fair line between the Custer idolaters (who blamed everything on Reno's drinking habits) and the Johnny-Come-Lately naysayers (who blamed everything on everybody in sight, based on "eyewitness" testimony from people who weren't present at the time).

For clarity, fairness, and unique perspective - highly recommended. ( )
1 vote MerryMary | Mar 14, 2011 |
1048 The Battle of the Little Big Horn, by Mari Sandoz (read 11 Apr 1970) This book, about Custer's Last Stand, is vivid, not overly concerned with minutiae, and my enjoyment of it was vastly enhanced by having been at the scene of the battle. Ideally, one should go to the scene and then read the book on the grounds. Really an extremely interesting event. ( )
1 vote Schmerguls | Jun 16, 2009 |
"I heard the alarm, but I did not believe it. I thought it was a false alarm. I did not think it possible that any white men would attack us, so strong as we were."
--Account of Custer fight by Low Dog, Oglala Sioux chief.
Leavenworth Weekly Times, August 18, 1881.
There was little to suggest the usual heat and dust of June in the Yellowstone River country this noontime.

Mari Sandoz's account of the battle in which General George Armstrong Custer staked his life—and lost—reveals on every page the author's intimate knowledge of her subject. The character of the Sioux, the personality of Custer, the mixed emotions of Custer's men, the Plains landscape—all emerge with such clarity that the reader is transported in time to that spring of 1876, when the Army of the Plains began its fateful march toward the Yellowstone. The background of the tragedy is here: the history of bad blood and broken treaties between the Sioux Nation and the United States, the underlying reason for Custer's expedition and for the convocation of Indians on the Little Bighorn that particular year. The author's analysis of Custer's motives and political ambitions sheds new light on an old mystery and will be hotly disputed by the general's admirers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:44 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,502,538 books! | Top bar: Always visible