Small Great Things: A Novel by Jodi Picoult

Small Great Things: A Novel (edition 2016)

by Jodi Picoult (Author)

Series: Ruth Jefferson (1)

2,7091934,052 (4.15)56
A woman and her husband admitted to a hospital to have a baby requests that their nurse be reassigned -- they are white supremacists and don't want Ruth, who is black, to touch their baby. The hospital complies, but the baby later goes into cardiac distress when Ruth is on duty. She hesitates before rushing in to perform CPR. When her indecision ends in tragedy, Ruth finds herself on trial, represented by a white public defender who warns against bringing race into a courtroom. As the two come to develop a truer understanding of each other's lives, they begin to doubt the beliefs they each hold most dear.… (more)
Member:THerb7919
Title:Small Great Things: A Novel
Authors:Jodi Picoult (Author)
Info:Ballantine Books (2016), Edition: 1, 480 pages

Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult

Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (princejacon)
    princejacon: This book is recommended mostly for Senior Secondary School students in schools across the world.

If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way - Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King,Jr

Here's my full review:
http://www.sholee.net/2018/07/mpov-small-great-things.html ( )
  Sholee | Sep 9, 2021 |
Really an interesting book until the last few chapters where everything is tied up too neatly. ( )
  suemetzner | Sep 5, 2021 |
What a powerful novel! Difficult to get through certain sections due to the racial nature of the book, but it's so well worth it. Want to read more by her. ( )
  Jinxii | Aug 10, 2021 |
about an African American maternity nurse who gets discriminated against when a newborn baby’s white parents take their child out of her care, addresses race, prejudice and justice ( )
  AccyP | Aug 9, 2021 |
Jodi Picoult is one of those authors that everyone seems to love, and that I've never read anything by, so I rather randomly decided to pick up this book. I can't overstate how much I hated it. (And frankly, I didn't finish it.) I have approximately 0 percent interest in reading a first-person account of a white supremicist justifying their actions. I don't care if it all resolves in the end (and I have no idea if it actually did.) This is just something I would never want to read. ( )
  amerynth | Jun 12, 2021 |

Jodi Picoultprimary authorall editionscalculated
Campbell, CassandraNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fliakos, AriNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fraisová, AlexandraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McDonald, AudraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are. -- BENJAMIN FRANKLIN
Not everything that is faced can be changed. But nothing can be changed until it is faced. -- JAMES BALDWIN
The piano keys are black and white but they sound like a million colors in your mind. -- MARIA CRISTINA MENA
She wanted to get at the hate of them all, to pry at it and work at it until she found a little chink, and then pull out a pebble or a stone or a brick and then a part of the wall, and, once started, the whole edifice might roar down and be done away with. -- Ray Bradbury, The Illustrated Man
People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love. -- Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
For Kevin Ferreira, whose ideas and actions make the world a better place, and who taught me that we are all works in progress. Welcome to the family.
The miracle happened on West Seventy-Fourth Street, in the home where Mama worked.
"True confession? The reason we don't talk about race is because we do not speak a common language."
I hear the flow of the fountain behind me, and I think about water, how it might rise above its station as mist, flirt at being a cloud, and return as rain.  Would you call that falling? Or coming home?
Equality is treating everyone the same. But equity is taking differences into account, so everyone has a chance to succeed.
One day, you realize there is less of your life left than what you've already lived.
........there is nothing more selfish than trying to change someone's mind because they don't think like you. Just because something is different does not mean it should not be respected.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,461,159 books! | Top bar: Always visible