This Was a Man: The Final Volume of The…

This Was a Man: The Final Volume of The Clifton Chronicles

by Jeffrey Archer

"This Was a Man opens with a shot being fired, but who pulled the trigger, and who lives and who dies? In Whitehall, Giles Barrington discovers the truth about his wife Karin from the Cabinet Secretary. Is she a spy or a pawn in a larger game? Harry Clifton sets out to write his magnum opus, while his wife Emma completes her ten years as Chairman of the Bristol Royal Infirmary, and receives an unexpected call from Margaret Thatcher offering her a job. Sebastian Clifton becomes chairman of Farthings Kaufman bank, but only after Hakim Bishara has to resign for personal reasons. Sebastian and Samantha's talented daughter, Jessica, is expelled from the Slade School of Fine Art, but her aunt Grace comes to her rescue. Meanwhile, Lady Virginia is about to flee the country to avoid her creditors when the Duchess of Hertford dies, and she sees another opportunity to clear her debts and finally trump the Cliftons and Barringtons. In a devastating twist, tragedy engulfs the Clifton family when one of them receives a shocking diagnosis that will throw all their lives into turmoil. This Was a Man is the captivating final installment of the Clifton Chronicles, a series of seven novels that has topped the bestseller lists around the world, and enhanced Jeffrey Archer's reputation as a master storyteller"--… (more)

Archer is one of my favorite authors---I know he's a scoundrel, but he can surely write a book! Archer was a previous British politician removed from office by a scandal, spent time in prison, and now writes prolifically. He writes of what he knows--politics. This is the 8th and final installment of The Clifton Chronicles and I have loved every one of them. 416 pages ( )
  tess_schoolmarm | Jun 10, 2019 |
This is the 7th and final volume in the Clifton Chronicles - an exceptional culmination to an exceptional series. The story follows the Clifton family from early 20th century to the Thatcher era. Archer's personal life has given him the information necessary to write knowledgeably about politics, aristocracy, and high-powered business. Combined with his remarkable writing talent, the series is nothing less than addictive. It was a nice touch to have Harry Clifton writing his last novel that he titled Heads You Win, actually the title of Archer's latest novel. And I loved Lady Virginia's intricate unprincipled dealings.

It is recommended to read the series in order, the books are not standalones. ( )
  VivienneR | Mar 10, 2019 |
All the family turns out well. Two family members die at the end. I cried. ( )
  bereanna | Feb 27, 2019 |
This, the final installment of the Clifton Chronicles, did not hold my attention as well as other Jeffrey Archer books. However I did enjoy it, and it was a fitting end to the Clifton Chronicles. I will miss Harry, Emma, Giles, and the rest of the family. ( )
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |
I finally finished the Clifton Chronicles. A very impressive endeavor by Mr. Archer. I enjoyed them all; perhaps the latter ones the best. However, I continued to get a little tired of wading my way through the terminology of English politics. But that's just me. I don't enjoy American politics either. I also had a hard time dealing with the spoiled brat, Jessica, who seemed to have her way while Harry and Emma condoned her immoral behavior. Rather a nasty touch as well was the way Harry handled Emma's death. I would have given it more stars if it hadn't been for this. ( )
  repb | Nov 22, 2017 |
Für meine erste Enkelin
Immer wenn Emma auffiel, dass die kanadische Flagge vom Heck eines Schiffes wehte, sah sie noch einmal hin.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,859,073 books! | Top bar: Always visible