The Art of Reading (2016)

by Damon Young

"As young children, we are taught to read, but soon go on to forget just how miraculous a process it is, this turning of scratches and dots into understanding, unease and inspiration. Perhaps we need to stop and remember, stop and learn again how to read better. Damon Young shows us how to do exactly this, walking alongside some of the greatest readers who light a path for us."--… (more)

I basically liked and enjoyed this book especially his delineation of what is necessary for the “art” of reading: curiosity, patience, courage, pride, temperance, justice. However, even though it was a short book, it was too drawn out, in my opinion. He could have said things more succinctly. He seemed to be taking himself and this subject much too seriously. An essay probably would have been sufficient. ( )
  joyfulmimi | Oct 6, 2018 |
I said in my previous post about Damon Young’s The Art of Reading that I didn’t expect to read it straight through, all in one go, as I usually do – but I couldn’t resist the chapter on Patience. I read it this morning over my Sunday morning mushrooms-on-toast, overlooking my back garden washed clean by the torrent of rain that came with a thunderstorm at three o’clock this morning.

I wrote that last sentence on purpose: did it provoke you to mutter ‘Oh, do get on’, as Henry James’s The Golden Bowl provokes QEII in Alan Bennett’s sly The Uncommon Reader?

(If you haven’t read An Uncommon Reader, I recommend it, even for ardent republicans. QEII stumbles into a mobile library in pursuit of one of her corgis, and while not a reader, feels obliged to borrow a book. She becomes hooked. Reading transforms her. )

Any resemblance in my writing to that of Henry James can only be in respect of requiring patience from the reader. Young notes that it requires patience of the queen to read Henry James and others like him and deconstructs the investment. It takes patience to read Xavier Herbert in Poor Fellow My Country, and half way through its 1443 pages I was beginning to wonder what I was getting out of my investment. There are books like this, says Young, with protracted sentences and slow evasiveness, books which make us feel – especially as we age and feel our time is limited – that perhaps we are wasting our time.

To read the rest of my review please visit https://anzlitlovers.com/2016/05/01/on-patience-the-art-of-reading-by-damon-youn... ( )
3 vote anzlitlovers | Jul 17, 2016 |

We are not born readers, we learn to turn words into worlds. But why is fine writing lauded while excellent reading is ignored?

In The Art of Reading, philosopher Damon Young reveals the pleasures of this intimate pursuit through a rich sample of literature: from Virginia Woolf's diaries to Batman comics. He writes with honesty and humour about the blunders and revelations of his own bookish life.

e.
Devoting each chapter to a literary virtue—curiosity, patience, courage, pride, temperance, justice—The Art of Reading celebrates the reader's power: to turn shapes on a page into a lifelong adventure.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,994,196 books! | Top bar: Always visible