March: Book Three by John Lewis

March: Book Three (edition 2016)

by John Lewis (Author), Nate Powell (Illustrator)

Series: March (3)

Welcome to the stunning conclusion of the award-winning and best-selling MARCH trilogy. Congressman John Lewis, an American icon and one of the key figures of the civil rights movement, joins co-writer Andrew Aydin and artist Nate Powell to bring the lessons of history to vivid life for a new generation, urgently relevant for today's world.… (more)
Member:acl_bookmobile
Title:March: Book Three
Authors:John Lewis (Author)
Other authors:Nate Powell (Illustrator)
Info:Top Shelf Productions (2016), Edition: First Edition, 256 pages
Collections:SRG Prizes Adult and Teen, Your library

Work Information

March: Book Three by John Lewis

The trilogy as a whole is an amazing and personal look at the Civil Rights era through the eyes of American hero and Congressman John Lewis. It's humbling to see how much folks went through to get the country as far as it has gotten. It's heartbreaking to see the parallels to modern times. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Nov 14, 2021 |
Loved it. A fitting end to the March Trilogy. I highly recommend these books to anyone interested in learning more about both John Lewis and the civil rights movement, especially from a human (as opposed to historical) perspective. A collection I will always keep on my shelf, it's very powerful. ( )
  nosborm | Oct 10, 2021 |
This whole series belongs on every American family's bookshelf. ( )
  auldhouse | Sep 30, 2021 |
March: Book Three is the third book in a three part autobiography graphic novel series about the early life of Congressman John Lewis and the fight for Civil Rights.

This book starts with the fatal bombing of Birmingham’s Sixteenth Avenue Baptist Church, the Freedom Summer where Lewis and other activists tried to get other blacks to register to vote, and then the march to Selma.

This whole series was an amazing read and I'm so thankful for them. I wish I had them in high school when I was learning about this time. ( )
  oldandnewbooksmell | Sep 24, 2021 |
The final volume of this amazing trilogy is literally stunning — there were a few times I had to put the book down and walk away, as the sheer brutality many civil rights activists faced was overwhelming. This volume opens with the bombing of Baptist Church in Birmingham that killed four little black girls. And then the violent Freedom Summer, and then the violent reaction to the march from Selma to Montgomery.

Of course, in the end, so much progress came from the bravery of all those men and women who refused to back down, but it is heart-breaking to see that it had to be bought with so much blood.

Again, I think the graphic format of this book really makes visceral a story most of us learned poorly, or may have learned long ago.

An incredible series of books. I hope this is forever enshrined in the graphic canon. ( )
  greeniezona | Sep 18, 2021 |

John Lewisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Aydin, AndrewAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Powell, NateIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

March (3)
To the past and future children
of the movement.
September 15, 1963.
Birmingham, Alabama.
For so many months I’d kept my emotions bottled up to be strong for those counting on me to lead, but there I was, alone in the dark with it all.
What sort of sense did it make if we could own part of a company, but not be served by it.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,595,949 books! | Top bar: Always visible