Night of the Bonfire: A Michael Quinn Novel

by Kevin Scott Olson

1031,843,002 (4)None
Ex-Navy Seal Michael Quinn is called in by the CIA to investigate a key undercover operative's brutal murder. From the peaceful seaside town of Laguna Beach, the trail soon leads him across the globe, and into a world beyond anything he imagined. Amidst violent twists and turns, Quinn's journey takes him from the crowded streets or Rome to a quiet cove off the Mexican coast. Along the way he crosses paths with an oligarch obsessed with vengeance...with a woman of unforgettable beauty... and with a man on the verge of adding the crowing touch to his criminal empire. Interwoven with memorable characters and gripping action, Night of the Bonfire takes the reader to an exceptional level of intrigue.… (more)

While not quite 'amazing', this book is a solid bit of genre fiction in the international spy-thriller vein. In this book an international art thief is selling a fabled painting, one which is supposed to bewitch any man who sees it, much the way the Mona Lisa seems to, only more powerfully. Cheesy? Yup. Cheap cliche? Sure. But then again, so is a private contractor in a tux navigating the moneyed world of Italian villas and sexy nearly-dressed women that is the Italian drug-distribution scene. There are no huge gaps in the story, the characters are consistent, if a bit stock-predictable, and the story is well paced. The chapters are annoyingly short, very Patterson/Koontz-esque, but a bit better than the absurdly short, fragmented chapters in classic Koontz novels. Don't expect great literature, but otherwise this is a fun read, and you might pick up a few words of Russian and Italian along the way, always a plus.
I won my copy of this book through a Goodreads giveaway. ( )
  JBarringer | Dec 30, 2017 |
Michael Quinn is a CIA special operative, which gives him some independence from the organisation. He is tasked with finding and securing a painting that had been assumed lost, but is not the target of Russian and Italian criminals. In addition, he must stop a criminal drug network from expanding in the US. For two-thirds of the book, Quinn handles his tasks with consummate ease and minimal conflict. It is only when he makes his final play for the painting that the action heats up to thriller level. In conclusion, after struggling through the first two thirds, the final third was a more pleasant read. I would like to give it 3 out of 5 stars. ( )
  Bruce_McNair | May 21, 2016 |
**I received a free copy of this book for an honest review.**

I'm really loving Kevin Scott Olson's Michael Quinn series. I love cop books, movies, and tv shows and this series gives me all of the same things I love from say, Numb3rs, for example.

Michael Quinn is an amazing character. Yes, he's a normal guy, but he's also a smart guy. Michael gets himself into dangerous situations when he does his job, but he always finds a way to make it through, relatively unscathed.

I like that Kevin Scott Olson doesn't make Michael into a perfect character, because I don't like that type of thing. Olson makes Michael flawed and deeply imperfect, but also shows that Michael is a good guy who's just trying to do his job with the least amount of collateral damage possible.

I really hope to read Olson's next book Breakout, soon, as I can't wait to see what Michael gets up to next. I'm also curious to see if Michael will still be with Sienna. ( )
  Laina_Spaulding | Apr 16, 2016 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,512,345 books! | Top bar: Always visible