Revenger by Alastair Reynolds

Revenger (2016)

by Alastair Reynolds

Series: Revenger (1)

The first Alastair Reynolds book I've read, and not his most popular - so I'll have to give Revelation Space a read. I enjoyed the world built in Revenger (I have a soft spot for "civ after decline" environments) where there are layers of history being peeled back as you read. The pacing is great near the beginning, with major changes in circumstances emerging within the first fifty pages. However, this pace isn't sustained - you soon find yourself lost in ten page sections details which ships watch is the most tiring. Or dozens of pages rehashing a trite "father is possessive about his kids" that you thought had been already concluded. Did the author have a bad custody battle? Whole section had a weird vibes. Also, the twist was telegraphed so clearly that it was an odd choice to have the characters not able to put the pieces together. Both twists really. ( )
  sarcher | Mar 20, 2019 |
If someone had told me that I would not be able to finish a book by Alastair Reynolds, I would never have believed them: he’s one of my favorite SF authors, and I’ve always enjoyed what I read so far, so when I learned of this new novel I dived straight for it, only to be profoundly disappointed.

Read the full review over at SPACE and SORCERY ( )
  SpaceandSorcery | Dec 25, 2018 |
On the whole my reaction to this novel was essentially "meh;" and this is factoring in that I realized from the start that this book was YA in reading level and essentially "spring punk" in space. Not a problem in that I had enjoyed Scott Westerfeld's "Leviathan" to give one example. For whatever reasons though I just couldn't connect with the story; maybe I just didn't believe in the female protagonist, maybe I just found the made-up language deployed to be wearing very quickly. As always, your mileage may differ. ( )
  Shrike58 | Oct 22, 2018 |
I'm not sure what exactly what I expected from this book, but what I got was not it! I love the voice of this book, and the way that Fura changes, grows, and is twisted by what happens to her. She's not perfect, she's broken in some ways by what happens to her, and yet, despite people questioning her sanity and ability because of her gender, she still becomes herself and achieves her goals. I could have done without the creepy doctor back at home (not every female character needs a sexual assualt/rapey episode in her past) but what can you do? The rest of the book and Fura's competence and determination pretty much make up for it.

Highly recommend this book if you like Firefly but want it weirder AND want some precocious sisters at the center of the story. I'll definitely be reading book two. ( )
  VLarkinAnderson | Sep 24, 2018 |
Talk about going into a book with the wrong expectations. I was in the mood for something space opera so when I stumbled across Revenger I thought I was in luck. It had a decent average rating and this was the synopsis:

Revenger is a science fiction adventure story set in the rubble of our solar system in the dark, distant future--a tale of space pirates, buried treasure, and phantom weapons, of unspeakable hazards and single-minded heroism and of vengeance...

I definitely should have scanned some reviews first. What the synopsis fails to mention is how incredibly YA this story is. Now I definitely like my share of YA books. Unfortunately Revenger just didn't do it for me. A big part of the problem I had was the juvenile vocabulary used by a society that was advanced enough to have figured out space travel. Lungstuff, the glowy, the grey, swirly, squaker... it took me half the book to not be taken out of the story each time those words were used, though I never really could get used to "lungstuff."

The characters also never grew on me. The story follows Fura Ness as she goes from a naive, privileged rich girl to a toughened, street-wise teen who will do anything to rescue her sister. While I can understand her motivation, the character growth never felt authentic. It's rushed through and suddenly she can plan strategy better than professionals who have been pirating for their whole lives. The most interesting character for me was the story's villain, Bosa Sennan. Bosa and her ship have a whole mythology built up around them that was fun if horrifying and made the final conflict intense.

What I did like, and wish there was more of, was the whole concept behind the baubles and the treasure to be found. Once we actually get to see one and start to get proper descriptions of the "loot" I started to enjoy the story. Too bad this didn't happen until the last 15% of the book. Also the final show down was action packed.

I listened to the audio book narrated by Clare Corbett. It took me a good half of the book to get used to her voice. She also had a bad habit of whispering, making the narration so quiet it was hard to understand the dialog. Unless it was just the recording and not the actress? I'm not sure. ( )
  Narilka | Sep 16, 2018 |
Adrana had always hated Doctor Morcenx.

"The galaxy has seen great empires rise and fall. Planets have shattered and been remade. Amongst the ruins of alien civilizations, building our own from the rubble, humanity still thrives. And there are vast fortunes to be made, if you know where to find them ... Captain Rackamore and his crew do. It's their business to find the tiny, enigmatic worlds which have been hidden away, booby-trapped, surrounded with layers of protection - and to crack them open for the ancient relics and barely-remembered technologies inside. But while they ply their risky trade with integrity, not everyone is so scrupulous. Adrana and Fura Ness are the newest members of Rackamore's crew, signed on to save their family from bankruptcy. Only Rackamore has enemies, and there might be more waiting for them in space than adventure and fortune: the fabled and feared Bosa Sennen in particular. Revenger is a science fiction adventure story set in the rubble of our solar system in the dark, distant future - a tale of space pirates, buried treasure and phantom weapons, of unspeakable hazards and single-minded heroism ... and of vengeance . ."--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,144,024 books! | Top bar: Always visible