Revenger by Alastair Reynolds

Revenger (edition 2017)

by Alastair Reynolds (Author)

Series: Revenger (1)

"The galaxy has seen great empires rise and fall. Planets have shattered and been remade. Amongst the ruins of alien civilizations, building our own from the rubble, humanity still thrives. And there are vast fortunes to be made, if you know where to find them ... Captain Rackamore and his crew do. It's their business to find the tiny, enigmatic worlds which have been hidden away, booby-trapped, surrounded with layers of protection - and to crack them open for the ancient relics and barely-remembered technologies inside. But while they ply their risky trade with integrity, not everyone is so scrupulous. Adrana and Fura Ness are the newest members of Rackamore's crew, signed on to save their family from bankruptcy. Only Rackamore has enemies, and there might be more waiting for them in space than adventure and fortune: the fabled and feared Bosa Sennen in particular. Revenger is a science fiction adventure story set in the rubble of our solar system in the dark, distant future - a tale of space pirates, buried treasure and phantom weapons, of unspeakable hazards and single-minded heroism ... and of vengeance . ."--… (more)
Member:dharding
Title:Revenger
Authors:Alastair Reynolds (Author)
Info:Orbit (2017), 432 pages

Revenger by Alastair Reynolds

Recently added byprivate library, Gewurz, evilasad, mantrasong, Nozdeuce, lanabeckwith, samazon, ladyoflorien, nzqg7x

Not deep and meaningful, but fun and easy to read. Probably deserves a 3.75. ( )
  malcrf | Oct 23, 2019 |
I was lucky enough to have been given an ARC edition of Alastair Reynolds latest novel Revenger. I should state that I am a Reynolds fan and have read a fair amount of his work.

Two sisters escape from an over protective father and a dubious doctor to hitch a ride on a sunjammer. A ramshackle vessel using solar sails, to travel the solar system plundering the relics of previous generations. Needless to say things do not go as expected, with pirates, robots and others as one sister seeks to rescue the other from slavery and grows from a girl to a determined woman.
This novel set far in the future marks quite a departure for Mr Reynolds. Often painted as a writer of ‘hard’ science fiction, this is a rollicking space opera. All the technology has something of a make do quality about it, more scavenged than developed in a shattered and dispersed society of mankind, albeit with the odd misunderstood alien or two.

Our avenging sister, Fura, provides a great leading role with a well-developed female sidekick. The story drags you in as the plot evolves and hunter becomes hunted. Throughout Reynolds maintains both pace and wonder, as well as a twist or two. Is there perhaps room for a sequel? I certainly hope so.

Not the authors usual epic fare, but a cracking good and very enjoyable read. More please. ( )
  PhilOnTheHill | Sep 8, 2019 |
I had a friend recommend this to me, though he didn't have to twist my arm to get me to read a Reynolds book. He said it reminded him strongly of the TV series "Firefly" (or Serenity for those who only saw the movie) and he's sure right. Of course, this is a whole new story and universe, but it definitely has that same feel.

The only downside is I feel like there's a grand sequel coming that'll expand even further into the Constellation and then the "Swirly" beyond. That's a downside because I'm sure I'll have to wait for it instead of reading it right now. ( )
  Mactastik | Sep 4, 2019 |
The first Alastair Reynolds book I've read, and not his most popular - so I'll have to give Revelation Space a read. I enjoyed the world built in Revenger (I have a soft spot for "civ after decline" environments) where there are layers of history being peeled back as you read. The pacing is great near the beginning, with major changes in circumstances emerging within the first fifty pages. However, this pace isn't sustained - you soon find yourself lost in ten page sections details which ships watch is the most tiring. Or dozens of pages rehashing a trite "father is possessive about his kids" that you thought had been already concluded. Did the author have a bad custody battle? Whole section had a weird vibes. Also, the twist was telegraphed so clearly that it was an odd choice to have the characters not able to put the pieces together. Both twists really. ( )
  sarcher | Mar 20, 2019 |
If someone had told me that I would not be able to finish a book by Alastair Reynolds, I would never have believed them: he’s one of my favorite SF authors, and I’ve always enjoyed what I read so far, so when I learned of this new novel I dived straight for it, only to be profoundly disappointed.

Read the full review over at SPACE and SORCERY ( )
  SpaceandSorcery | Dec 25, 2018 |
Adrana had always hated Doctor Morcenx.

A superb science fiction adventure set in the rubble of a ruined universe, this is a deep space heist story of kidnap, betrayal, alien artifacts and revenge.

And there are vast fortunes to be made, if you know where to find them.

Captain Rackamore and his crew do. It's their business to find the tiny, enigmatic worlds which have been hidden away, booby-trapped, surrounded by layers of protection--and to crack them open for the ancient relics and barely-remembered technologies inside. But while they ply their risky trade with integrity, not everyone is so scrupulous.

Revenger is a science fiction adventure story set in the rubble of our solar system in the dark, distant future--a tale of space pirates, buried treasure, and phantom weapons, of unspeakable hazards and single-minded heroism and of vengeance...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,200,485 books! | Top bar: Always visible