Precious and Grace: No. 1 Ladies' Detective…

Precious and Grace: No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (17) (No. 1 Ladies'… (edition 2017)

by Alexander McCall Smith (Author)

Member:tamora
Title:Precious and Grace: No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (17) (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency Series)
Authors:Alexander McCall Smith (Author)
Info:Anchor (2017), Edition: Reprint, 240 pages
Tags:Mystery--Botswana

Precious and Grace by Alexander McCall Smith

I enjoyed this book as I do all of the author's books, but not as much as some of the others in this series. Mma Makutsi kind of annoyed me in this book, but I guess she was just being herself. I felt scared for Precious when she got bit by the snake, but also chided her for not changing the batteries in her flashlight. I guess the author didn't want to stop the series yet. ( )
  eliorajoy | Jul 9, 2017 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | May 5, 2017 |
These books really are the reading equivalent of comfort food. I met someone today who told me that she had "never been able to get on with them." I was surprised because for me it is the opposite: I always expect to enjoy them. They are not deep mysteries but the situations depicted them show an incredible understanding of what makes people tick, and the solutions are dispensed with just a touch of philosophy.

There are reminders always that the setting is not the West, but Botswana, a country struggling to find its place in the 21st century. Technology is changing the world. Even Precious Ramotswe's husband Mr. J.L.B Matekone comments on how much cars have changed, making them so difficult for him to repair.

Mma Ramotswe and Mma Makutsi are now co-directors of the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency and that situation breeds its own frictions, and I enjoyed their interaction.

So if you haven't ever read these, and would like something light and cozy to read, give this series a try. But I would advise starting at the beginning. ( )
  smik | Mar 24, 2017 |
This is the latest in Alexander McCall Smith's No.1 Ladies' Detectiver Agency series, and, as always it has served to be the perfect antidote for the distressing things I hear on the news every day. Mma Ramotswe and her faithful assistant (or is it now co-detective? Precious can never quite remember) Mma Makutsi are once again busty solving cases. And as usual, none of these are very earth shattering, but all seem to involve showing forgiveness in one way or another. A Canadian woman who was born in Botswana is looking for both her old house and her old nursemaid. Mr. Polopetsi seems to have gotten himself involved in a Ponzi scheme. The horrible Violet Esphotho has been nominated for Woman of the Year, and finally, in the most touching story in the book, Fanwell, who works at teh Tlokwweg Road Speedy Motors has become attached to a stray do he cannot keep.

How all these problems get solved just might restore your faith in the goodness of mankind. Anyone who has not acquainted themselves with this most cozy of cozy mysteries is truly missing out on something special. ( )
  etxgardener | Mar 20, 2017 |
I found this to be more like the earlier installments of the series in that a moral lesson is gently infused throughout the book. In this case, the lesson is on forgiveness. Precious and Grace help a client learn that forgiveness is the best way to forget something painful from the past and then find themselves applying this lesson in their own lives as well. As always, AMS's love of Africa shines through on every page. ( )
  wandaly | Feb 28, 2017 |
This book is for Linda Kandel
Driving to her office in her battered white van, down the Tlokweng Road, past the stand of whispering gum trees, Mma Ramotswe founder and owner of the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, allowed her mind to wander.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,086,353 books! | Top bar: Always visible