The Ashes of London by Andrew Taylor

The Ashes of London (edition 2017)

by Andrew Taylor (Author)

3162055,725 (3.65)34
London, September 1666. The Great Fire rages through the city, consuming everything in its path. Even the impregnable cathedral of St. Paul's is engulfed in flames and reduced to ruins. Among the crowds watching its destruction is Richard Marwood, son of a disgraced printer, and reluctant government informer. In the aftermath of the fire, a semi-mummified body is discovered in the ashes of St. Paul's, in a tomb that should have been empty. The man's body has been mutilated and his thumbs have been tied behind his back - the sign of a Regicide, one of those who signed Charles I's death warrant. Under orders from the government, Marwood is tasked with hunting down the killer across the devastated city. But at a time of dangerous internal dissent and the threat of foreign invasion, Marwood finds his investigation leads him into treacherous waters - and across the path of a determined, beautiful and vengeful young woman.… (more)
Member:alanca
Title:The Ashes of London
Authors:Andrew Taylor (Author)
Info:HarperCollins Publishers (2017), Edition: UK ed.
Collections:Kindle library, To read

The Ashes of London by Andrew Taylor

The Ashes of London. Interesting book that tends to wander a bit and is therefore a bit too long. The boring walks through the burned out streets are repeated again and again. I felt if the author described the coat of arms on the coach door in detail one more time I would throw the book at the wall. I would not rush to buy another of his books. ( )
  Novak | May 7, 2019 |
I´m deducting points from this as a) it was evident who the murder was pretty much from the beginning of the novel, and b) there were huge swathes of text that rambled on incessantly. Having said that, I found this an interesting read if only for the historical context of the story - both the political stuation and the aftermath of the great fire. ( )
  thiscatsabroad | Apr 24, 2019 |
1666 and a fire starts in London, soon to devastate the medieval City of London. Watching the flames, a young man notices a boy in a ragged shirt who is standing so close as to risk to his life. When he pulls the boy to safety, he finds it is not a boy but a young woman. She bites him and escapes, though he intends only to help. And so are introduced the two key characters in ‘The Ashes of London’ by Andrew Taylor. But this is not a novel about the Fire of London, rather a political mystery involving murder in the turbulent years following the execution of King Charles I, the English Civil War, the Commonwealth and subsequent Restoration of King Charles II.
In the ruins of St Paul’s a body is found, differing from other mortalities for its thumbs tied together behind the man’s back. This is the sign of those who committed Regicide by signing the death warrant of Charles I. Though in hiding, these traitors are still active, lurking in the shadows.
The account of London burning is written vividly, so vivid I could imagine myself there, smell the charred timber and smoke. We see it through the eyes of two people. James Marwood, clerk, son of a traitor, is required by his superiors to investigate on their behalf. Catherine Lovett, a wealthy young woman lodges with the family of her mother but secretly searches for her father, a Regicide. Her position becomes precarious when her uncle seeks to marry her to a suitable man, one she detests. She flees and, at risk of discovery, Cat hides her identity with a false name. She is a bright woman who adapts to her changing circumstances, has a great presence of mind and is not afraid to defend herself when threatened. I particularly enjoyed her interest in architecture, something which brings her into the wider circle of Master Hakesby and Dr (Christopher) Wren as the new design for St Paul’s takes shape. She has a skill of fine draughtsmanship, and helps Master Hakesby who suffers from the ague.
We learn the story as seen by Marwood and Cat; the author controls what we know and don’t know. As they are aware of other things happening outside their circle, but not of the detail – of surviving traitors helping each other, of powerful men borrowing and lending money, of the scientifically-minded Charles II and his circle of influencers – so the reader realizes more is going on behind the scenes than is written on the page. Which adds to the mystery. This was a complex political time. We watch Marwood tread a delicate path as he tries to protect his elderly weak-witted Regicide father from persecution whilst also obeying his employer, Master Williamson, editor of The London Gazette. It is a time of whispers, gossip in the coffee houses, of secret meetings and spies standing behind screens the better to eavesdrop.
The paths of Marwood and Cat almost cross a number of times and as neither knows the true identity or intentions of the other, the reader is in a privileged position. When they do meet, the outcome is unexpected.
This is not a page-turning thriller or a crime novel, more a historical mystery. Taylor takes time to develop his characters and to show his location, the Restoration context is fascinating. Though a slow-burn I read this book quickly, finishing it and wanting to read its sequel, ‘The Fire Court’. That is always a good sign.
Read more of my book reviews at http://www.sandradanby.com/book-reviews-a-z/ ( )
1 vote Sandradan1 | Oct 10, 2018 |
This book revealed the killer early on and never explained the reasons for the murders that occurred. This kind of breaks the basis rule of writing a crime novel. ( )
  DoToBu89 | Aug 30, 2018 |
James Marwood, a Whitehall clerk, watches the deadly fire of 1666 ravish St. Paul's. Catherine Lovett ("Cat") bites his hand, stealing his cloak. Not all the bodies found in the aftermath died due to the fire. A couple bear the marks of a murder. It's a time of political turmoil. Cat soon flees the city after attempting to gouge out the eye of a cousin. The main characters, while fairly well-developed, failed to make me care whether they came out alive or not -- in fact, I probably wished ill on some of the ones who did. The reader probably knew a bit too much about what was going on whereas a little suspense would have improved the book. While I'm not sorry I read it, I was surprised by the direction the book took. The mystery element was not as strong as the theme of politics during the time of Cromwell. I would prefer more mystery and less politics. ( )
  thornton37814 | Jun 27, 2018 |
For Caroline, as always
The noise was the worst.

Serial killer
stalks the streets devastated
by London's Great Fire.
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,576,712 books! | Top bar: Always visible