The Trespasser by Tana French

The Trespasser (2016)

by Tana French

Asilinn Murray is found dead in her own apartment. But every surface is wiped clean. A search of her apartment does not explain much about her as a person, either. It seems that she furnished her apartment and dressed and coiffed herself as if following the advice of magazines. Nothing looks natural or normal. Everything is just too perfect.

Detective Antoinette Conway is trusted with this strange case, and she, and her partner, Steve, enthusiastically hit the streets, looking for clues. However, Antoinette has never had it easy at the squad. The men all play practical jokes on her and give her a hard time, and, to top it off, there is a man standing at the top of her street, casing out her apartment. And their only suspect so far seems like an unlikely one. Antoinette and Steve have their job cut out for them. But when they finally discover the truth, they almost wish they hadn’t.

I love Tana French’s mysteries! This one, like her others, are impossible to figure out. Her characters are strong and realistic and oh so human! Her settings are unforgettable. ( )
  Sandralovesbooks | Apr 16, 2019 |
Need more. I love this series.

I can't wait to see the next detective dragged over hot coals. My bet is on Roach or the floater Reilly, who is clearly hooking his bright spark to Breslin. I'm hoping the latter. ( )
  authenticjoy | Mar 29, 2019 |
Detective Antoinette Conway has returned to readers at last (first introduced in The Secret Place, and she's as biting and cynical as ever. She and her partner Stephen Moran are assigned to what appears to be a straightforward domestic murder: a young woman found in her own home, death by head trauma, one punch it appears, and one obvious suspect: the new boyfriend. But this is a crime with layers, and every time a new one is peeled away, Conway and Moran find themselves closer to a darkness at the center of it. Who was the victim, really, and who can they trust?

All the Tana French trademarks shine in this newest novel. It's dialogue-driven, witness interviews comprising a fair amount of the book, French's snappy and natural voices pinging off the pages until you can almost hear them in your ear. It's psychology-driven, digging deep into the motivations of everyone involved--victim, suspects, witnesses, and detectives. It's character-driven, as the choices of Conway and others push each piece of the mystery toward its reveal and its resolution, as the partner relationship between her and Steve wobbles and stretches and ultimately strengthens (sigh of relief to that!).

And above all, it isn't simple (though at first it might appear to be). There's no writing any of these people off as tropes--they are flawed, vulnerable, sometimes despicable people who breathe long after the book is closed. Conway is suspicious, self-absorbed, insecure, and real. Steve is idealistic, kind, people-pleasing, and real. The victim is both naive and vicious. And real.

I was hoping for at least one scene with Frank Mackey. He and Cassie remain my favorite Tana French characters (and their books remain my favorites as well). However, this one made me care about Antoinette (and love Steve all the more). It seems that whomever French writes about, I'm going to keep reading. ( )
  AmandaGStevens | Mar 2, 2019 |
Not my favorite Tana French book, but worth the time. ( )
  keithostertag | Feb 15, 2019 |
I was super excited when I discovered that Moran and Conway – the detectives on the case in The Secret Place – were back in this latest installment in Tana French’s Dublin Murder Squad series. I was a little bummed that the story is being told from the point of view of Conway as I find Moran a more interesting character but mixing things up is in keeping with French’s habit of always doing something different with each book. The murder is a good one, starting out looking like a simple open and shut case of domestic violence, only to quickly prove to be otherwise. French takes the reader down rabbit holes and spins us (and our investigating detectives) around. I like murder mysteries that have twists and turns, to keep me guessing. The downside – for me – with this one is that it has its lulls – I tend to get bored with the interrogation room tactics and this book fills enough pages it could be subtitled “Dublin Murder Squad Interrogation Playbook”. That, and the “reveal” of the shadowy figure that lurks at the top of Conway’s street comes across, to me, as some strange add-on for suspense build. I just wasn’t satisfied with the rationale for including it as a sub-plot in this story. Beyond those downsides, I still found this one to be a kraken’ good read. Not my favorite in the series, but still a good one. ( )
  lkernagh | Feb 14, 2019 |
For Oonagh
Prologue:
My ma used to tell me stories about my da.
Chapter 1: The case comes in, or anyway it comes in to us, on a frozen dawn in the kind of closed-down January that makes you think the sun's never going to drag itself back above the horizon.
Where I'm seeing a dead end, he's seeing a brilliant new twist to his amazing story. I wish I could take my holidays inside Steve's head.

There's the murder squad you set your sights on, back at the beginning of your career: the one where you spend your day playing knife-edge mind-games with psychopathic geniuses, knowing that one wrong blink could mean the difference between victory or another dead body.

And there's the one you actually work on, when you're the squad pariah. The night shifts. The vicious jabs and the pranks that go too far. Processing scumbags and matching witness statements, sifting the dregs for the case that might get you closer to where you want to be.

Tonight's case isn't it. Uniforms call it in as a slam-dunk domestic. except when Conway takes a good look at the victim's face, she realises she's seen her somewhere before. And suddenly the conviction that there's a different answer takes her breath away.

THIS IS THE CASE SHE IMAGINED. PRECISION-CUT AND SAVAGE, LITHE AND MOMENTOUS

BUT YOU CAN BEAT ONE KILLER. BEATING YOUR OWN SQUAD IS A WHOLE OTHER THING.

A brilliant new novel from the New York Times bestselling author, whom Gillian Flynn calls "mesmerizing" and Stephen King calls "incandescent."

Being on the Murder squad is nothing like Detective Antoinette Conway dreamed it would be. Her partner, Stephen Moran, is the only person who seems glad she’s there. The rest of her working life is a stream of thankless cases, vicious pranks, and harassment. Antoinette is savagely tough, but she’s getting close to the breaking point.

Their new case looks like yet another by-the-numbers lovers’ quarrel gone bad. Aislinn Murray is blond, pretty, groomed to a shine, and dead in her catalogue-perfect living room, next to a table set for a romantic dinner. There’s nothing unusual about her—except that Antoinette’s seen her somewhere before.

And that her death won’t stay in its neat by-numbers box. Other detectives are trying to push Antoinette and Steve into arresting Aislinn’s boyfriend, fast. There’s a shadowy figure at the end of Antoinette's road. Aislinn's friend is hinting that she knew Aislinn was in danger. And everything they find out about Aislinn takes her further from the glossy, passive doll she seemed to be.

Antoinette knows the harassment has turned her paranoid, but she can’t tell just how far gone she is. Is this case another step in the campaign to force her off the squad, or are there darker currents flowing beneath its polished surface?

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 12 Apr 2016 09:06:33 -0400)

"Being on the Murder Squad is nothing like Detective Antoinette Conway dreamed it would be. Her partner, Stephen Moran, is the only person who seems glad she's there. The rest of her working life is a stream of thankless cases, vicious pranks, and harassment. Antoinette is savagely tough, but she's getting close to the breaking point. Their new case looks like yet another by-the-numbers lovers' quarrel gone bad. Aislinn Murray is blond, pretty, groomed to a shine, and dead in her catalog-perfect living room, next to a table set for a romantic dinner. There's nothing unusual about her-- except that Antoinette's seen her somewhere before. And that her death won't stay in its neat by-numbers box. Other detectives are trying to push Antoinette and Steve into arresting Aislinn's boyfriend, fast. There's a shadowy figure at the end of Antoinette's road. Aislinn's friend is hinting that she knew Aislinn was in danger. And everything they find out about Aislinn takes her further from the glossy, passive doll she seemed to be. Antoinette knows the harassment has turned her paranoid, but she can't tell just how far gone she is. Is this case another step in the campaign to force her off the squad, or are there darker currents flowing beneath its polished surface?"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,184,718 books! | Top bar: Always visible