The Trespasser by Tana French

The Trespasser (2016)

by Tana French

Recently added byArenda17, Mandib00h1oo4, kelseymorgan88, private library, top10, alo1224, LNDuff, nerdyrev

Tana French does it again; the Trespassers is a top notch crime thriller. Antoinette Conway, the only female detective in the Dunblin murder squad, and her partner, Steve Moran, land what appears to be a simple domestic murder case. Conway was an outcast in the department from day one and her discovery that police corruption may be a part of the case must remain hidden while she and her partner continue to investigate. The plot is compelling and written with French's signature lovely dialogue. Highly recommended for crime drama fans. ( )
  JGoto | Jul 21, 2017 |
I like Tana French. She does a good police procedural, Dublin squad, very Irish cop atmospheric. This one was....okay. Very politically relevant and thin blue line. Very boys' club, with believable dynamics between the characters. When it's on, it's a ripper page turner. That's the good.

The not-so: as others have said....although she sorta comes around, the main character is thick. She's a bit of a paranoid martyr and not a quick learner. Her partner is far more sympathetic, but the focus is on her. The arc of development is interesting, but not paced well. There are some long and boring sections in there and while that may be real life, it comes through here as overlong and in parts is frustrating and painful to read. She's just really....juvenile. I wouldn't want to read another book that focuses on her character unless it's at a very different point in her career and she's grown up.

Not exactly a disappointment, but not my favorite of her books either. Recommended to diehard fans, but for others, pick a different one. ( )
  angiestahl | Jul 15, 2017 |
The Dublin Murder Squad is back, with detectives Antoinette Conway and Stephen Moran running the show. They are investigating a lover's spat gone fatally wrong, which at first seems like an easy slam-dunk, but it quickly twists out of control, placing the detectives in danger, in and out of the squad.
This is another solid police procedural and no one does psychological intensity and paranoia like French. I was not a fan of her last novel, The Secret Place but I am glad she returned to form in this one.
I still feel her books could use some editing, but the last 100 pages here are riveting. ( )
  msf59 | Jul 13, 2017 |
Although I enjoyed this book, The Trespasser by Tana French, I liked the first two books in the series more, particularly #1 In the Woods and #2 The Likeness. Although the storyline was good and 'the blue line" concept was believable, the credibility of the events and outcomes was a stretch for me. I didn't really care for the primary characters or the narrator of the audio book. Perhaps that influenced my enjoyment of the book. I will continue to read this series but hope that French will return to the more identifiable and believable characters of the first couple of books in this series. I give this book a rating of 3. ( )
  WeeziesBooks | Jun 25, 2017 |
Confession-time, much as I genuinely enjoyed [The Trespasser] I skimmed about fifty pages somewhere towards the end, after the big reveal. I read just closely enough to confirm that I wasn't missing any surprises, just the detailed working out of how Conway and Moran (the two detectives on this murder case) were going to work what to do about what they have uncovered. (The last thirty or so pages I read at a regular pace.) Running alongside the whodunit plot is the issue of loyalties, who you can trust (if you can trust anybody at all) applying to squad partners, to the Murder Squad as a whole, to friends and family, and to marriage vows. The plot: A young woman is found dead, it looks like a domestic, Moran and Conway at the end of their night shift, are assigned the case, but even from the start, there is something peculiar about it: the squad captain assigns it to them directly as he comes on shift and they are within minutes of going off it. Furthermore he sics Breslin on them, a smooth operator that neither of them care for although he is not one of those Conway, the only woman (and clearly not pure Irish) suspects of trying to get her off the squad altogether. They know something is UP but they can't figure it out at all and get to work. A sub-theme is how we make up stories all the time, the murder squad especially depends on creating scenarios from whatever information they glean off of witnesses and evidence. The hard part is not to get too enamored of your story or to be too unimaginative altogether and, circling back to the other theme, who you can trust. It's beautifully constructed and complex emotionally. I will say though that I wearied of Conway's paranoia. The book could have been fifty pages shorter if all those extra sentences and comments had been edited. Still, it is a **** star read, although if we had 3 and 3/4 I'd be tempted to use it. ( )
  sibyx | May 20, 2017 |
For Oonagh
Prologue:
My ma used to tell me stories about my da.
Chapter 1: The case comes in, or anyway it comes in to us, on a frozen dawn in the kind of closed-down January that makes you think the sun's never going to drag itself back above the horizon.
Where I'm seeing a dead end, he's seeing a brilliant new twist to his amazing story. I wish I could take my holidays inside Steve's head.

There's the murder squad you set your sights on, back at the beginning of your career: the one where you spend your day playing knife-edge mind-games with psychopathic geniuses, knowing that one wrong blink could mean the difference between victory or another dead body.

And there's the one you actually work on, when you're the squad pariah. The night shifts. The vicious jabs and the pranks that go too far. Processing scumbags and matching witness statements, sifting the dregs for the case that might get you closer to where you want to be.

Tonight's case isn't it. Uniforms call it in as a slam-dunk domestic. except when Conway takes a good look at the victim's face, she realises she's seen her somewhere before. And suddenly the conviction that there's a different answer takes her breath away.

THIS IS THE CASE SHE IMAGINED. PRECISION-CUT AND SAVAGE, LITHE AND MOMENTOUS

BUT YOU CAN BEAT ONE KILLER. BEATING YOUR OWN SQUAD IS A WHOLE OTHER THING.

A brilliant new novel from the New York Times bestselling author, whom Gillian Flynn calls "mesmerizing" and Stephen King calls "incandescent."

Being on the Murder squad is nothing like Detective Antoinette Conway dreamed it would be. Her partner, Stephen Moran, is the only person who seems glad she’s there. The rest of her working life is a stream of thankless cases, vicious pranks, and harassment. Antoinette is savagely tough, but she’s getting close to the breaking point.

Their new case looks like yet another by-the-numbers lovers’ quarrel gone bad. Aislinn Murray is blond, pretty, groomed to a shine, and dead in her catalogue-perfect living room, next to a table set for a romantic dinner. There’s nothing unusual about her—except that Antoinette’s seen her somewhere before.

And that her death won’t stay in its neat by-numbers box. Other detectives are trying to push Antoinette and Steve into arresting Aislinn’s boyfriend, fast. There’s a shadowy figure at the end of Antoinette's road. Aislinn's friend is hinting that she knew Aislinn was in danger. And everything they find out about Aislinn takes her further from the glossy, passive doll she seemed to be.

Antoinette knows the harassment has turned her paranoid, but she can’t tell just how far gone she is. Is this case another step in the campaign to force her off the squad, or are there darker currents flowing beneath its polished surface?

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 12 Apr 2016 09:06:33 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,109,181 books! | Top bar: Always visible