The Trespasser by Tana French

The Trespasser (2016)

by Tana French

I'm not in love with this book. It is well-written but it lacks the bit of twisted reality of several of her other books and what I probably enjoyed most about them. The suspense building just wasn't there in the same way as when I was wondering how THOSE HOLES got in the wall, or whether having a doppelganger was survivable even with good friends. I do enjoy the way French builds the characters and the story even with the suspicion that much of the information is false. But I was so excited to see she had another book out and then disappointed to realize that it lacked that she did not include her trademark quirky sort of twisted logic that makes the reader ( speaking for myself)fear he/she may be living close to a deceptive type not unlike one of French's warped characters. I will still rush to the library for the next Tana French book when it comes out, but will be crossing my fingers that it will be more like her earlier work than her latest book. ( )
  mmignano11 | Mar 22, 2017 |
Another good murder mystery from Tanna French. I listened to the audio version of this book and the narrator gave a stellar performance. Highly recommended. ( )
  erinclark | Mar 14, 2017 |
French continues her series featuring detectives on the Dublin murder squad. Gritty and realistic, this one kept me up late more than one night because I just couldn't put it down. Love this series, and this installment is the best one yet. ( )
  Gingermama | Mar 13, 2017 |
My new favorite Tana French book! As usual her character development is excellent and this book also built up the suspense! Highly recommend. ( )
  carolfoisset | Mar 11, 2017 |
Murder Squad detectives Antoinette Conway and Stephan Moran, investigating what they expect to be another by-the-numbers domestic case, find themselves embroiled in an anything-but-neat lovers’ quarrel gone bad.
In addition to the investigation, Antoinette is dealing with harassment from the other members of the squad. Are they simply trying to get rid of her or are there darker forces at work?

With the narrative focused on the characters and the dynamics of the Murder Squad, the pace was sluggish at times. And while Antoinette had good reason to be grumpy, she was not particularly likeable and her paranoia ultimately grates on the reader, making it difficult to empathize with her situation. Readers may be tempted to mutter “Grow up” to the detectives. Ultimately, this tale is a disappointment. ( )
1 vote jfe16 | Feb 11, 2017 |
For Oonagh
Prologue:
My ma used to tell me stories about my da.
Chapter 1: The case comes in, or anyway it comes in to us, on a frozen dawn in the kind of closed-down January that makes you think the sun's never going to drag itself back above the horizon.
Where I'm seeing a dead end, he's seeing a brilliant new twist to his amazing story. I wish I could take my holidays inside Steve's head.

There's the murder squad you set your sights on, back at the beginning of your career: the one where you spend your day playing knife-edge mind-games with psychopathic geniuses, knowing that one wrong blink could mean the difference between victory or another dead body.

And there's the one you actually work on, when you're the squad pariah. The night shifts. The vicious jabs and the pranks that go too far. Processing scumbags and matching witness statements, sifting the dregs for the case that might get you closer to where you want to be.

Tonight's case isn't it. Uniforms call it in as a slam-dunk domestic. except when Conway takes a good look at the victim's face, she realises she's seen her somewhere before. And suddenly the conviction that there's a different answer takes her breath away.

THIS IS THE CASE SHE IMAGINED. PRECISION-CUT AND SAVAGE, LITHE AND MOMENTOUS

BUT YOU CAN BEAT ONE KILLER. BEATING YOUR OWN SQUAD IS A WHOLE OTHER THING.

A brilliant new novel from the New York Times bestselling author, whom Gillian Flynn calls "mesmerizing" and Stephen King calls "incandescent."

Being on the Murder squad is nothing like Detective Antoinette Conway dreamed it would be. Her partner, Stephen Moran, is the only person who seems glad she’s there. The rest of her working life is a stream of thankless cases, vicious pranks, and harassment. Antoinette is savagely tough, but she’s getting close to the breaking point.

Their new case looks like yet another by-the-numbers lovers’ quarrel gone bad. Aislinn Murray is blond, pretty, groomed to a shine, and dead in her catalogue-perfect living room, next to a table set for a romantic dinner. There’s nothing unusual about her—except that Antoinette’s seen her somewhere before.

And that her death won’t stay in its neat by-numbers box. Other detectives are trying to push Antoinette and Steve into arresting Aislinn’s boyfriend, fast. There’s a shadowy figure at the end of Antoinette's road. Aislinn's friend is hinting that she knew Aislinn was in danger. And everything they find out about Aislinn takes her further from the glossy, passive doll she seemed to be.

Antoinette knows the harassment has turned her paranoid, but she can’t tell just how far gone she is. Is this case another step in the campaign to force her off the squad, or are there darker currents flowing beneath its polished surface?

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 12 Apr 2016 09:06:33 -0400)

47 wanted3 pay5 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,295,835 books! | Top bar: Always visible