The Moth and the Flame (2016)

by Renée Ahdieh

Series: The Wrath and the Dawn (prequel short story)

It started as playful, if barbed, banter before rising to a fateful wager with a most notorious rake--the Captain of the Guard, Jalal al-Khoury--who may have finally met his match in a lovely, if haughty, handmaiden, Despina. But she, too, seems to have met her match in the handsome Jalal. What begins as a tempestuous battle of will and wit in short order becomes a passionate affair spurred on by tragedy of the worst kind.… (more)

English (7)  German (1)  All languages (8)
I was a huge fan of Jalal in the books and was very interested in knowing more about his relationship with Despina. So, I have to say that I am surprised that the author has been able to convey so many feelings in such a short story. The light hearted moments, the blossoming of love and the circumstances in which they get together are so beautifully written that I just wanted to read more. I just wish that Renee Ahdieh never writes short stories because even though the too few pages convey all the feelings, its just not enough to satisfy my heart. ( )
  ksahitya1987 | Aug 20, 2021 |
I love Jalal even more.. ( )
  Haleema-imran | Aug 3, 2020 |
When I started reading this book I didn't realise it was a prequel to "The Wrath and the Dawn". However, it featured the captain of the Royal Guard, Jalah, and handmaiden to the queen, Despina, two of my favourite characters which made me happy.

Jalah is a charming womaniser with a delightful sense of humour while Despina is pragmatic, quick witted and resourceful. They are perfect together and I adored their banter having read "The Moth and the Flame", I was reminded how much I enjoyed this series and Renee Ahdieh's writing. I think I will have to revisit the series in the near future. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Nov 4, 2019 |
Me trying to review this a year and a half later:

I remember liking it but can't tell you what it was about? ( )
  jlydia | Jun 25, 2018 |
This tiny novella only proves that Renee Ahdieh only needs a couple of pages to tell a worth-while story. The writing is enchanting, the characters are full of depth, and the chemistry between them is fluent and palpable. Though it was short, I'm completely satisfied and excited to see what comes next for Despina and Jalal as the story continues to unfold. ( )
  spellbindingstories | May 24, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

The Wrath and the Dawn (prequel short story)
A mountain of jeweled silk lay before Despina.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,082,276 books! | Top bar: Always visible