Foxheart

by Claire Legrand

Other authors: Jaime Zollars (Cover artist)

"Twelve-year-old Quicksilver--the self-proclaimed greatest thief in all the Star Lands--must travel back in time to when magic still existed and, with the help of her older self and a dog named Fox, stop the evil Wolf King from hunting witches to extinction"--

After reading Furyborn I wanted to read everything Legrand wrote. This one was enjoyable but nothing compared to Furyborn. 4🌟 because it was enjoyable. ( )
  karenvg3 | Dec 4, 2018 |
I didn't care for this as much as I thought I might (or usually do, with this sort of book). I'm even particularly a fan of fantasy thief books, it seems (The Thief was great, The Magic Thief terrific, and Lies of Locke Lamora wonderful!), but this particular thief fantasy, nope.

I was moved a couple of times, which is great--bonus points for that--but the plot was draggy and meandering, I personally am irked when pets turn into persons you can chat with (because you gain a friend but lose a pet!), so that bugged, the main character wasn't especially likable and her sidekick/love interest whiny and undeveloped, the main plot premise was confusing (something about witches, but 1st witches, and their 1st monsters, and they took over a body of a boy, but also those of wolves, while still being dead, with skeletons around, and the skeletons behaved erratically in a way that didn't make sense given the plot, so far as I could tell, given how confusing it was).

So I'm giving this series a pass.

(Note: 5 stars = amazing, wonderful, 4 = very good book, 3 = decent read, 2 = disappointing, 1 = awful, just awful. I'm fairly good at picking for myself so end up with a lot of 4s). ( )
  ashleytylerjohn | Sep 19, 2018 |
Quicksilver is not your ordinary heroine. Left on the steps of Saint Martta’s convent when she was three-years-old, presumably nameless, with an unusual mane of gray hair, she is continuously taunted with names like pig and witch. Saved by a kind yellow dog she names Fox, who becomes her partner, she steals in order to survive in the dangerous Star Lands full of witches and the Wolf King. She meets a boy named Sly Boots who, just maybe she can trust, and promises to teach him the thieving business. An elderly stranger, who happens to be a witch with powerful magic, enchants Quicksilver; just think of the thieving she could do with this kind of magic, and just maybe she could also find her parents. But the old witch, Anastazia (bearing the same name Quicksilver's parents had for her), has other plans, challenging Quicksilver to a dangerous and almost impossible quest to save and protect the Star Lands (and the witches) from the feared Wolf King and his team of ferocious wolves. Written for tweens, this is an enchanting book, weaving adventure and fantasy into an inventive tale with a spunky, modern-day heroine; it's the kind of book you hate to say goodbye to. I loved it!

Sharyn H. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.

mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |

Claire Legrandprimary authorall editionscalculated
Zollars, JaimeCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Orphan. Thief. Witch. Twelve-year-old Quicksilver lives as a thief in the sleepy town of Willow-on-the-River. Her only companions are her faithful dog and partner in crime, Fox—and Sly Boots, the shy boy who lets her live in his attic when it’s too cold to sleep on the rooftops. It’s a lonesome life, but Quicksilver is used to being alone. When you are alone, no one can hurt you. No one can abandon you. Then one day Quicksilver discovers that she can perform magic. Real magic. The kind that isn’t supposed to exist anymore. Magic is forbidden, but Quicksilver nevertheless wants to learn more. With real magic, she could become the greatest thief who ever lived. She could maybe even find her parents. What she does find, however, is much more complicated and surprising

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,269,421 books! | Top bar: Always visible