I Promise You This (Love in Provence) by…

I Promise You This (Love in Provence) (edition 2016)

by Patricia Sands (Author)

831,035,133 (4)None
Member:FHC
Title:I Promise You This (Love in Provence)
Authors:Patricia Sands (Author)
Info:Lake Union Publishing (2016), 334 pages
Tags:canadian-authors, Canadian location, French Riviera, mid-life, romance

I Promise You This (Love in Provence) by Patricia Sands

This is the third book of the Love in Provence series. Kat's in France when she finds out that her best friend, Molly, was in a near fatal car accident in Toronto. She must return, cutting her romance with Philippe short. Darn it!

Once back home after her divorce (22 years married) and the death of her much beloved grandma, Katherine pines, but just briefly, for Philippe. For along comes Aussie, Nick, who she had a very brief encounter with her in Antibes. He is very wealthy but loves the booze. And, he is friends with Philippe, as well. He comes to lend support to Kat and Molly, and complains about the Antarctic temperature of Toronto.

So much happens in such a short amount of time. Nick professes his love for Katherine, then has his private plane pick up Philippe from France to be with Kat. Her ex-husband texted that he had to see her. What, does the wee one need his mommy? Katherine is left with so many different feelings that can't easily be answered. But, she tries. What will she eventually decide to do? I know who I would choose...if only it were possible in real life. Sigh.

Thank you to Patricia Sands, Lake Union Publishing and NetGalley for giving me an e-ARC of this book to read and give my honest review. ( )
  Connie57103 | May 29, 2016 |
This review would be from the viewpoint of a reader who has not read the previous books of the series and choose to read this book as standalone

I wasn’t able to follow the story for a while. The characters felt a bit disconnected and disorienting till about half way through the story. This edition of the series follows Katherine’s story back in Canada. Katherine is forced to come back home to Canada when her best friend meets with an accident. Coming back home floods her with memories of her parents and hear failed marriage. Adding to agony are her unstable feelings to Philippe – the man who has made her fall in love again. Would she be able to move on from her heart break and accept a man into her life again? The stories switched back to France with the thread of Katherine’s and Philippe’s relationship.

Once I was comfortable with the characters and their relationship with each other, I found the story to be nothing short of beautiful. With a pacing which was consistent and enough twists thrown in, this book was indeed a pleasurable read. The narration and the setting would be the highlight of the book. The writer had literally brought alive the sights, scenes and food of France! The countryside is so breathtaking and fills the reader with joy. The story line as such was filled with so much positivity and teaches the reader an invaluable lesson – A heart break is never the end of life.

My only qualm with the book would be a lack of that introduction for a reader who hasn’t read the previous books. The writer could have possibly spent a couple of pages giving a gist of what happened earlier so that new readers would also connect with the book and the old readers wouldn’t be bored. Also given that the characters were way lot older than I am, I couldn’t really connect much with them!

The cover deserves a special mention for being breathtakingly beautiful!

MY SAY: A must read for ‘Fracophiles’ and lovers of contemporary romance. ( )
  ShreeJan | May 26, 2016 |
Unique experiences of Kat, a mid-fifties woman moving toward establishing a new life in France. An accident in her home city of Toronto, Canada has her flying back to attend to her best friend's injuries. Once on home turf, doubts about her choices and decisions rise to the surface, creating inner conflict regarding her intended new direction. Much introspection and interaction with cousins and friends keep the story low key. Less about action and more about inner change and reaction.
An Australian friend provides a dream afternoon spent viewing Niagara Falls by helicopter provides opportunity for expressing her new career pursuit of photography and a break before it's back to the hospital. Unusual relationships formed in the previous books re-enter the story adding to her circle of support and an exotic element to the story.

Kudos to Canadian author, Sands, for including good descriptions of winter life at home in Canada and Cote d'Azur French Riviera coastal life of France. Both add colour to the picturesque settings.

Third and final episode in Kat's journey of loss and disorientation into her new life and location. ( )
1 vote FHC | May 24, 2016 |

added by ShreeJan | editBook and Ink, Shree Janani (May 26, 2016)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,459,767 books! | Top bar: Always visible