The Beast of Clan Kincaid (Highland Warrior)

by Lily Blackwood

Series: Highland Warriors (1)

They call him the Beast--a hardened mercenary whose heart seems as cold as his icy blue gaze. They do not know his true name: Niall Braewick, son of the Laird of Kincaid. It has been years since he escaped into the forest the night his father was murdered. Now he has returned, ablaze with a vengeful hunger. He will gain the MacClaren chief's trust, gather his clan, and take back his lands. And take the MacClaren's daughter as well... Though he pulled her from the river, saving her life, Elspeth has been warned to keep her distance from her father's hired warrior. He is a barbarian--a shame, as he is far more compelling than the lechers and fools competing for her dowry. Little does she know that, like the castle itself, she is a prize Niall intends to claim... but will he extract blood for blood and possess what is his, or will his enemy's beautiful, innocent daughter tempt him to forsake his dream of conquest?… (more)

The Beast of Clan Kincaid is the first book in this series and I was completely hooked into this book. This is my first Lily Blackwood and she is simply fantastic to read. If you love Julie Garwood, Mary Wine or Sue Ellen Welfonder....this author is for you. This series doesn't have long books, not more than 300 pages, so it doesn't take very long to get through but honestly this author could write a 600 page book and it wouldn't be a trial to read. Her writing voice is simply incredible and had me not wanting to put this book down. This is not an easy story though to read especially in the prologue.

The Beast of Clan Kincaid begins with out hero, Niall Braewick, he is the oldest son of the Laird Kincaid. But when he was just a boy, their clan was attacked and betrayed and his parents were murdered and he and his two other brothers were smuggled away and hidden and seperated. Now Niall, is an adult and a warrior and mercenary, fighting for money and food, trying to gain allies and funds to take back what is rightfully is and what stolen from his family. But while posing as a warrior to fight for the Laird MacLaren, he meets the lovely daughter Elspeth. He knows that he has a mission and he can't think of a better one than having Elspeth as his wife. He knows that she is innocent from the crimes of her father, and has a gentle kind heart. He has been so focused on getting back his clan and land, that he has never done anything for himself and even though he knows that her father has a different suitor in mind for his daughter, he finds himself quickly falling in love with her but he knows that even if he does managed to marry the lass, she will come to hate him because of who he is and his mission to get justice for the wrongs done against his parents.

The Beast of Clan Kincaid is a story that brings together a enemies to lovers romance with a mix of insta love. There is a strong chemistry between Niall and Elspeth. Elspeth wants Niall more than any other man that her father and step mother have in mind for her. She is attracted to Niall, very strongly, but she senses that there is more to Niall than meets the eye. He may be a powerful warrior, but she also sees a man that is protective and gentle at times especially with her. She knows that she can never have him as her own, but she wants him more than any other. We see, of course, the strong connection between these two. You just want them to come together, but they both have some obstacles to overcome in this one here. We see how much they adore and respect each other. I was curious to see how this book would actually play out because of how it is set up but boy Lily Blackwood did a tremendous job in penning such a beautiful love story. It is guaranteed to give you all the feels that you expect in a story such as this one.

I did really love the way that the plot unravels. and the progression of the love story. Even though technically I categorize this as a instant love romance, we also see that the story's focus is them finding a way to be together with what challenges they have to face. When they realize how much they want to be together (which happens in the first half of the book) they know it won't be an easy road for either of them. Seeing the secrets being revealed and the delightful surprise in the end for Niall was unexpected but gives you warm fuzzies. The world building that is written here is superb, and I have to give a "high five" to the author because she really build the highlander world so well and I have a feeling we will see a lot more of it in the next two books. There was in depth detail and cultural aspects that opens the readers mind to imagine what the author is building here. I was highly impressed with the way the setting and plot was developed in this book.

Overall I found The Beast of Clan Kincaid to be a story of adventure, highland thrills and pleasures and a story to keep you on edge and packed with all the delcious romantic feels!! I CAN'T WAIT FOR MORE!!! ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 24, 2019 |

After his father was betrayed, Niall and his two younger brothers were spirited away and split up to preserve the Kincaid Laird bloodline. Seventeen years later, Niall seems to be the only surviving one and has come home to take back what is rightfully his.
Elspeth's been saved by the mysterious mercenary three times and each encounter only adds fuel to her attraction. However, her clan is relying on her to make an advantageous marriage to protect them against another clan and a lonely mercenary won't do.
Niall and Elspeth both try to deny their growing feelings but neither can give the other one up. They each want to do right by their clan but following their hearts will be dangerous.

The first in a new series by a debut author, the prologue grips you right away as a delicious blend of danger and vengeance is relayed. The set-up of Niall coming back home to avenge his family and then falling in love with his enemy's daughter, who doesn't know his true identity, creates an enthralling tale. Unfortunately, I felt the attraction was rushed between our leads and it left me with a feeling of insta-lust.

Our beginning introduction of Elspeth has many scenarios that combine together to give a very shiny heart of gold persona; she's the woman you want to say something bad about, because her goodness is slightly annoying, but she's just too darn sweet to do it. Her inner battle over feeling like she was betraying her clan with her attraction to Niall had depth and felt real. Niall captured my attention right away with his inner turmoil and secrecy to take his lands back but when he meets Elspeth, he slowly becomes all about his lust and attraction for her. His feelings were excessive, that he would suddenly become so wrapped up in this woman, who he barely knows, when for seventeen years he has been preparing for his vengeance. I understand and like romance but wanted a more natural progression of feelings, with more time and interactions, for the torment of it all too really shine through.

"I tried to forget you," she whispered against his lips, her hands touching the bare skin of his torso.
"I tried to let you forget me, but I cannot."

A lot of the story was devoted to Elspeth and Niall wanting each other and then saying they felt guilty because of their commitments, over half of the story is their back and forth. I don't consider this a slow read, per say, but this did make the story feel like it had some repetitiveness. Elspeth doesn't learn of Niall's true identity until the last 20% of the book and then it is glossed over pretty quickly, she forgives him in a day. Some of the lust, guilt, rinse and repeat should have been cut for the juicy betrayal/how do they live together now drama this scenario could have produced.

Secondary characters did a pretty good job of filling out the story with Deargh, Niall's clansman who spirited him away, Elspeth's half sisters popping in and out, and Magnus, a childhood friend of Elspeth. Bridget was Elspeth's step-mother and started off a Cruella de Vil and then contrary to a few hints (or what I perceived as hints) she does a 180. Now, if I'm right about the hints, it's misdirection by the author for future shock but since it wasn't cleared up in this story, it left the character feeling very confusing and forced. This does take place in Scotland in the 1300s but other than a couple mentions of a kilt, swords, and castle, I can't say I felt completely transported to the time.

As I mentioned, this is a debut book and as such, it is pretty strong. The author's writing style is highly readable and her story and character ideas are engaging. I just personally felt the relationship was rushed and some inta-lust was at play. The overall tone also was pretty gentle, there are a couple sex scenes but they did have a tendency to feel dropped in. If you're looking for an amiable read and wanting to give a new author a try, then this would be a good choice.

WhiskeyintheJar | Feb 14, 2019 |
The Beast of Clan Kincaid is a stunning debut novel and start of a series! This is the story of the Niall Braewick, the eldest of three brothers who were forced from their home when it was attacked as a child. He comes back to his home years later to seek revenge on the men who killed his parents. Niall saves the daughter of his enemy, Elspeth from drowning and from there they form an immediate attraction.

The heroine, Elspeth is the daughter of the Laird who Niall wants revenge against. She must marry well in order to protect her people. She is strong and sweet with some sass. The hero, Niall is as fierce as rumors made him to be, but gentle when it came to the heroine although he never let his feelings compromise his objectives for revenge.
"Just a kiss," he answered, kissing her again...and again, rendering her drunk and weak and wanting, "I won't demand more. Just this."
I really enjoyed the chemistry of the two leads. There were moments when they tried to resist each other, tried to make each other jealous, but it was never overdone. I kept wondering how the hero and the heroine would play out their affections with each other despite their other commitments to their duty.

This is a great historical romance packed with romance and revenge that keeps you guessing. The revenge plot is spanned between three novels, but each story is a standalone. ( )
  leighannewrites | Oct 27, 2018 |
This is the first book in the Clan Kincaid series about three brothers who supposedly died in an uprising against their clan. The first story is of the oldest brother and I liked it a lot.

The characters are well developed and the hero is Alpha male to the core. The heroine, who just happens to be the daughter of the hero’s enemy, was such a hoot!

I liked that the story moved fast and the revenge trope was well executed and I really enjoyed it. I’m looking forward to reading the rest of the stories.

If you’re a fan of medieval period, and especially of the Highlanders, you’ll thoroughly enjoy this one.

Melanie for b2b

Complimentary copy provided by the publisher
  bookworm2bookworm | Mar 30, 2017 |
first of all I received this book free in exchange for a honest review. WOW! I love historical fiction and love the historical fiction where guys in kilts fight, love & conquer and LILY BLACKWOODS THE BEAST OF THE CLAN KINCAID has all three.

Niall Braewick, as a child was taken away and hidden while his parents were killed. Niall's father, the Laird of Kincaid made sure he had kin to not only avenge his death but to take his heritage and castle back when the time was right.

This book is loaded with action, sword fights, & lust & I loved every page of it. I cant wait for the next in the series. ( )
  DDJTJ1 | Sep 16, 2016 |

Lily Blackwoodprimary authorall editionscalculated
Urquhart, RuthNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,545,322 books! | Top bar: Always visible