Our Tiny, Useless Hearts by Toni Jordan

Our Tiny, Useless Hearts (edition 2017)

by Toni Jordan (Author)

Member:HelenFarch
Title:Our Tiny, Useless Hearts
Authors:Toni Jordan (Author)
Info:Atlantic Books (2017), Edition: Main
Collections:Your library, To read

Our Tiny, Useless Hearts by Toni Jordan

Really glad I didn't have to live through a nightmare like this situation. ( )
  MarthaJeanne | Nov 3, 2018 |
You have to be in the mood for a farce, and with my domestic life being just a tad hectic at the moment, I was definitely in the mood for some frivolity. I romped through Our Tiny Useless Hearts in no time, and enjoyed it for what it is, a lively romcom full of witty humour and daft characters. It made a pleasing counterpoint to my reading of the rather grim Secondhand Time by Nobel Laureate Svetlana Alexievich…

Toni Jordan is an astute observer of the absurdity of 21st century life, conjuring a fantastic cast making entrances and exits through an outer suburban farmlet. Almost the only characters not sleeping with someone else’s spouse are the two small children Mercedes and Paris – and the names of those two alone give you a glimpse into the way Jordan skewers the aspirational airheads who named them. (I say ‘almost’ because I’m not giving anything away!)

Fortunately for the children, their Aunty Janice is the hero of the story, and even though she is a bit screwed up too because she has a divorced a man she’s still in love with, it is she who provides a circuit-breaker when the maelstrom finally erupts. The novel is too witty to be didactic, but Jordan has some serious points to make about making relationships work and about children as hapless victims of parental self-absorption. Mercedes and Paris are more observant and canny than the adults think, but they are still vulnerable little creatures who want to have both their parents together.
To read the rest of my review please visit https://anzlitlovers.com/2016/07/30/our-tiny-useless-hearts-by-toni-jordan/ ( )
  anzlitlovers | Aug 5, 2016 |

"This is a comedy about love and marriage. Specifically, the marriages of Caroline and Henry, and Lesley and Craig, and Janice and Alec. Except that Henry's not going to be with Caroline for much longer now Martha's on the scene. And to be truthful Lesley and Craig have a few trust issues that may not prove a hundred percent resolvable. And Janice divorced Alec two years ago, although that didn't have anything to do with falling out of love with him, quite the reverse actually, so it's awkward when he turns up unexpectedly and finds Janice and Craig naked in Caroline's bedroom. But all relationships have their ups and downs, don't they?"--Publisher's description. Henry has ended his marriage to Caroline and headed off to Noosa with Mercedes' grade three teacher, Martha. Caroline, having shredded a wardrobe-full of Henry's suits, has gone after them. Craig and Lesley have dropped over briefly from next door to catch up on the fallout from Henry and Caroline's all-night row. And Janice, Caroline's sister, is staying for the weekend to look after the girls because Janice is the sensible one. A microbiologist with a job she loves, a fervent belief in the beauty of the scientific method and a determination to make a solo life after her divorce from Alec. Then Craig returns through the bedroom window expecting a tryst with Caroline and finds Janice in her bed, Lesley storms in with a jealous heart and a mouthful of threats, Henry, Caroline and Martha arrive back from the airport in separate taxis-and let's not even get started on Brayden the pizza guy. Janice can cope with all that. But when Alec knocks on the door things suddenly get complicated.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,656,739 books! | Top bar: Always visible