Eon by Greg Bear

Title:Eon
Authors:Greg Bear (Author)
Info:Tor Books (2015), Edition: Reprint, 480 pages
Collections:Your library, To read

Eon by Greg Bear (Author)

Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke (santhony)
    santhony: The original, and still the best, of those science fiction tales centered upon huge, inter-stellar habitats.
    Ringworld by Larry Niven (santhony)
    santhony: If you enjoy the science fiction genre featuring huge, interstellar habitats, this fits the bill.
    The Reality Dysfunction by Peter F. Hamilton (santhony)
    santhony: This behemoth of a trilogy is chock full of original, scientific theory and principles, including huge, sentient, space habitats.

Luin kirjan englanniksi sen ilmestyessä yli 30 vuotta sitten; nyt sattumalta uudestaan suomeksi. Nostalgista. #Scifi avautuu joskus paremmin äidinkielellä. Teknologiautiopia, joka samalla purkaa turhaa #teknologiaoptimismi’a. ( )
  RistoZ | May 22, 2019 |
This is unbelievably awesome! What a story! I listened to the audio version which was very well done. I want to read it again in print, because a lot of my listening is done while exercising and it's easy to miss things in the book. I've purchased the complete series in ebook. My plan is to read the other books and then go back and read Eon again. ( )
  ajlewis2 | Jul 11, 2018 |
Tja, weet eigenlijk niet wat ik van dit boek moet zeggen.

Greg Bear is over het algemeen een goede SF schrijver, maar zelfs bij het einde van dit boek kon ik nog steeds niet echt in het verhaal komen. Ligt dat aan mij, of aan de schrijver. Boek had niet echte spanning, en was verwarrend. Toch geef ik 2 sterren, in de hoop dat het volgende deel mij meer zal boeien.

EdwinKort | Jul 4, 2018 |
A mysterious asteroid starts circling the Earth and Moon. A team of scientists and engineers is sent to investigate. They discover that the asteroid has been hollowed out and contains seven chambers, two of which contain large cities - one more advanced than the other. Then they discover that the seventh chamber seems to be longer than the asteroid itself, and the mystery deepens. What unfolds is a story with four parts:

a. the American/NATO team who are exploring the asteroid, which they call The Stone;

b. the Russian military team sent to invade and take over the asteroid, which they call The Potato;

c. the story of the main protagonist, Patricia Luisa Vasquez, a brilliant mathematician who has been hand-picked to help solve the mysteries of the asteroid; and

d. the humans, and their alien allies, from a future over a thousand years in the Earth’s future, who inhabit the mysterious Way that connects with the asteroid, which they call Thistledown.

It is the interplay of all these stories that makes this book so intriguing. The sense of wonder and loss from the present-day Earthlings is counterpointed by the reverence for their ancestors and the intrigue among the factions of the advanced beings.

The concept of the Way is intriguing - a universe in itself that is long and narrow, and which can be connected to other universes. It is like a wormhole that can be inhabited, as long as you bring the basics of earth, air and plant life to fill areas of this corridor like universe.

The book is in two parts. Firstly, a build-up to an event called The Death, a nuclear holocaust that envelops the Earth resulting in billions of deaths and severing of communications. This ends with the inhabitants of the asteroid isolated from the Earth and colonies on the Moon. The second part deals with the events that follow, including attempts by one faction to return to the Earth, by another faction to change the Way, and thirdly by Patricia to return to an Earth where her parents and partner are alive.

"It's longer on the inside than the outside." When I first read this, I thought he's borrowed from Doctor Who and the TARDIS.

One annoying aspect of the (Legend/Arrow 1987) publication I have is that some scenes flow directly into another unrelated scene without a physical separator.

This is my second reading of this book. I read it originally back in the late 1980s when I bought it. I think I enjoyed it more this time.

I enjoyed this book and give it 4 stars out of 5. ( )
  Bruce_McNair | May 4, 2017 |
humanity discovers an alien" artifact in orbit around our world. Turns out to be from an alternate future in which the world almost destroyed itself. It appearing heightens tension between the Russians and the Americans and sets off what is called "The Death", the world almost destroying itself. Lots of humanity going digital. Assumes that that is possible. A pretty cool read. Lots of action with the Russians trying to take over the artifact. Bear wrote well, unlike his starwars stuff. He should stick to straight scifi." ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |

Bear, GregAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Miller, RonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rudnicki, StefanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

L'envoi: "Unless you know where you are, you don't know who you are." --Wendell Barry
For Poul and Karen with much appreciation and love.
"It's going into a wide elliptical Earth orbit," Judith Hoffman said.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812520475, Mass Market Paperback)

The 21st century was on the brink of nuclear confrontation when the 300 kilometer-long stone flashed out of nothingness and into Earth's orbit. NASA, NATO, and the UN sent explorers to the asteroid's surface...and discovered marvels and mysteries to drive researchers mad.

For the Stone was from space--but perhaps not our space; it came from the future--but perhaps not our future; and within the hollowed asteroid was Thistledown. The remains of a vanished civilization. A human--English, Russian, and Chinese-speaking--civilization. Seven vast chambers containing forests, lakes, rivers, hanging cities...

And museums describing the Death; the catastrophic war that was about to occur; the horror and the long winter that would follow. But while scientists and politicians bickered about how to use the information to stop the Death, the Stone yielded a secret that made even Earth's survival pale into insignificance.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:38 -0400)

A discovery inside a hollow asteroid-spaceship triggers a worldwide war that results in the utter destruction of all human life, except for those inside the spaceship.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,412,480 books! | Top bar: Always visible